Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

How to prune my hybrid perpetuals?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
13 years ago

Just spent a good portion of the day doing spring pruning, but was stumped when I got to my hyb. perpetuals. They are only 3 years old and I'm not sure what I did with them last year--probably not much of anything other than cutting out the dead wood.

One reason I'm wondering is that my HPs are near some hybrid teas which had to be rather drastically pruned down to about 6 or so inches after our very cold winter--lots of new growth starting down there near the bottom of the plant. But the HPs aren't growing like that. They are a little slower than the HTs, but the HPs seem to be budding all along the stems out to the tips. So should I just prune out dead wood and leave the rest, or do they like a harder pruning in the spring like HTs do?

The HPs are Mrs. Laing--if that matters.

Second question: One of my Mrs. Laings is growing more like a shrub--lots of somewhat thin stems coming out of the ground. The growth pattern on the other Mrs. Laing looks a bit more like a hyb. tea--a few stems at the base. (They are both the same age.) Should I do something about that difference, or just let each one do her thing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kate

Comments (3)