Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerwantabe

Called Harbor Freight Today You won't believe What They Said

gardenerwantabe
18 years ago

I called HF this morning first try I got India again hung up and redialed and got SC. I told them that I needed five connectors part #47 she said no parts were available for that GH. I ask her if they could take the parts out of a greenhouse that they had in stock and then replace them when they got parts. She said no because no parts are available. She suggested that I could buy another complete greenhouse then I would have the missing parts that I needed. I pointed out to her that I had already paid for those parts and didn't want to buy them again. I hung up on her and called back and got another woman who told me they didn't have any parts. I ask her to take the parts from one in their warehouse. She said she would have to make a special order I ask her to do it. She did but said it would probably be 16 weeks before I got my parts.

I went to the salvage place where I got the windows I talked about in earlier post and found some latches for a truck tool box. I bought two of them and with my band saw cut the top off then cut it in half and drilled holes in the top. Now I have brackets that look just like the original ones but mine are much stronger. if I ever get the parts no longer matters since the home made ones are better.

I went to Fastenal and got a bag of 100 6mmx11/2" to use in place of the bolts that they sent me that were too short.

Now I'm looking forward to finding out what the next thing will be wrong or missing. I'm sure I will have many more surprises waiting for me.

Comments (72)

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Feisty
    When I read your post I thought that you had made a typo, but I went to HF web site and sure enough it is $599.00
    That is a really good deal. If you dig up all the posts that I have made in the last few weeks they outline the modifications that I made to mine. I won't say that it is absolutely necessary but if you plan on putting it where the wind can hit it i would make the changes.
    The good news is after you have done them it is a solid GH probably better than some costing 4 times what you paid.

• aberwacky_ar7b
    18 years ago

DH was showing the GH online to a friend and saw the $599 price on Friday. Still a good deal at $699, though!

I got the self-tapping screws for the panels, too, and will use them to install the panels when the time comes.

The weather was unseasonably gorgeous here yesterday, supposed to be again today and tomorrow, and rainy this weekend when I can work on the greenhouse, of course!

Leigh

• feisty
    18 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Now I'm not feeling so insecure about the purchase. I have been pricing GH for about 3 years now because I just had a 6 x 10 portable dome greenhouse and Hurricane Rita took care of that recently so I really need something now. And that is a terriific price for the HFGH even if like you said we have to make some changes or add better quality parts. I sure hope the instructions are in there though.

• feisty
    18 years ago

I wanted to post an update to my previous post. I went ahead today and went to the online live help at HF and asked them to fax or email me the instructions for the 10 x 12 and they emailed me a pdf file of the of the instructions and parts list so if any of you would like it just let me know and I will be happy to forward them to you. I figured I would save a little time and also tell my husband what some of you have suggested so we can have everything ready for the delivery. I'm not as patient as one of the posters on here that is willing to hold off till next fall. :) I ordered the greenhouse online Sunday and I checked there site and it states that the GH was shipped out on the 27th. I wish it would make it for this weekend but I doubt it.

• casadelgatos
    18 years ago

Hi Feisty,

If you will send me that pdf file, I will post it on the web where folks can download it at will.

Thanks!

• feisty
    18 years ago

Absolutely I will send you the file. Where do I locate your email? I'm not too familiar with this site YET. But I sure plan on being a regular. You people are a wealth of good information.

• cottagefarmer
    18 years ago

I think you click on the "(My Page)", then on the "See My Journal" and you will find a link to send an email through the forum if the person allows it.

• feisty
    18 years ago

I looked there and I don't see an email address. I know there has to be one somewhere because I received an email from someone that I forwarded the file on to and he found my email somehow and I don't see mine either. LOL

• cottagefarmer
    18 years ago

That means they did not activate their email address in the forum. When it is activated it also appears on the "(My Page)" page.

• feisty
    18 years ago

I don't remember activating mine either but a member from here was able to get it somehow and was able to reach me directly for the PDF file of the instructions. I wish I knew how so I could send this on to casadelgatos. It would be nice if they could get them on here so the ones that have already have received delivery on their GH can compare their instructions to these. Right now I am just trying to hunt down all of the different threads that pertain to only the 10 X 12 FHGH assembly and from there I am cutting and pasting all of the snippets that are telling about the little problems that they have come upon to a word document so when my husband is assembling it he will have a cheat sheet right there and know which are the problem areas. I would still buy this greenhouse with all that I have read on here too. I'm just looking at it like that is how much the material cost anyway. I can promise you HF isn't making much profit on these. Just go price the polycarbonate sheets alone and you will see.

• agardenstateof_mind
    18 years ago

Time consuming to cut and past all those snippets into a Word document, but a good idea ... and to find something quickly, you might find the Word 'search' feature very helpful.

Di

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Feisty
    You stated that you sent that person an e-mail and your e-mail address would have been in the message that you sent. All they had to do was click on reply and your e-mail address would automatically be put in.

• feisty
    18 years ago

I don't remember activating mine either but a member from here was able to get it somehow and was able to reach me directly for the PDF file of the instructions. I wish I knew how so I could send this on to casadelgatos. It would be nice if they could get them on here so the ones that have already have received delivery on their GH can compare their instructions to these. Right now I am just trying to hunt down all of the different threads that pertain to only the 10 X 12 FHGH assembly and from there I am cutting and pasting all of the snippets that are telling about the little problems that they have come upon to a word document so when my husband is assembling it he will have a cheat sheet right there and know which are the problem areas. I would still buy this greenhouse with all that I have read on here too. I'm just looking at it like that is how much the material cost anyway. I can promise you HF isn't making much profit on these. Just go price the polycarbonate sheets alone and you will see.

• slaphead
    18 years ago

Feisty,

I just sent you an Email. If you send the pdf file back to me I believe I can post it on the forum.

SH

• feisty
    18 years ago

Okay I got it and sent the pdf back to you about an hour or so ago. Thanks

• slaphead
    18 years ago

Feisty,

Thank you for providing a copy of the 10 x 12 HFG instruction manual. I greatly appreciate it.

While I'm attempting to get it posted on the forum, I'll be happy to forward a copy to all who request it. My Email address is grantcarr@comcast.net

SH

• feisty
    18 years ago

Your Welcome. I ordered the polycarbonate tape and the extra Spring glazing clips. Anything else extra besides the screws that I need to have on hand. Oh and what are ya'll using to put between the foundation and the treated wood frame?

• agardenstateof_mind
    18 years ago

Good question. We used a laminated foil/foam/plastic insulating tape because we'd heard the copper in the treated lumber would accelerate corrosion of the aluminum ... But that's the 6x8 model; I think I read that the base of the 10x12 is steel.

• feisty
    18 years ago

I called my husband just now and asked him what he planned to use between the frame and the wood and he said Base Ply. Of course I had no idea what that was so I looked it up and here is a bit of info on it. I see it comes in rolls. I went back and reread some of the specs in the Greenhouse instructions, but I don't see anywhere where it speaks of the bottom frame being steel. That doesn't mean that it isn't but just in case.
    http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/20351.pdf#search='base%20ply'

• slaphead
    18 years ago

Roofing felt works well as a barrier. After the first hot day it also forms a strong, waterproof bond.

SH

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I used a heavy polytarp under the base to protect it from the CAQ treated wood. The base of the 10X12 HFGH is STEEL not aluminum.

• slaphead
    18 years ago

The temptation proved to great, I just placed an order for the 10 x 12. My thanks to you all for posting your experiences and to Feisty in particular for supplying the installation instructions.

Roll on spring!

SH

• weebus
    18 years ago

Just go price the polycarbonate sheets alone and you will see.

Not all polycarbonate glazing is created equal, I promise.

• cassandra_2006
    18 years ago

Could one of you HFGH owners tell me what mm polycarbonate the 10x12 comes with? There isn't much info on the HF site.

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think it is 4mm.
    I can tell you that it is strong we dropped the roof onto the top of the gh when we were trying to put the roof on and the panel that it lit on bowed really bad and the clips flew in all directions but it did not break the panel. I now have self tapping screws and the clips installed so panels can't come out.
    I moved mine from the driveway to the permanent location today and my idea of wheels on the back and carrying the front with my little JD tractor worked really well.

• milwdave
    18 years ago

Hey Dick,

Glad to hear all went well. If you get a chance post a pic of the finished product with modifications...I know we're all anxious to see it.

Thanks;
    Dave
    Milwaukee

• aberwacky_ar7b
    18 years ago

Fiesty,

I'd also get stainless steel 1/4" bolts and nuts to replace the aluminum ones that come with the kit. You'll need about 25 more of the long bolts than come with the kit, because wherever it says to put two long bolts in the frame, you'll need four.

Get the SS fasteners from a fastener dealer like Fastenal (www.fastenal.com) rather than a big box store. When I priced them out, Fastenal was 1/3 the price of Lowe's. Definitely worth seeking out your local bolt store!

Leigh

• feisty
    18 years ago

Okay I will do that. Thanks for the heads up. Now I'm not sure if I'm reading this right from the instructions or not, but does the newer shipments of the 10 x 12 come with a steel floor frame that doesn't require being put on a wooden frame?

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The instructions say to put the base in the ground 1 inch from the top. The base is 5 1/2 inches high and made from thin sheet metal. I don't think it would last many yeas in the wet soil. I put mine on treated timbers with a strip of heavy polytarp between the base and the treated wood.
    Since the base is very thin I installed 4 inch L brackets on all sides three per side. Used machine screw to attach to the base and hex head screws into the wood. I used stainless steel 1/4X2" lag bolts every two feet to secure the base to the timbers. The timbers are secured with 3/8X7" lag bolts pre dill a small hole to prevent splittig the wood. Also used treated 2x4 diagonally on all Conner's to keep the frame from going out of square.
    I used 1 1/2 aluminum angle 9 inches long and removed the four bolts from the conner of the base and hold the angle in place and drill from the inside through the holes into the angle. Bolt the angle on with 1/4X1" stainless bolts be sure to use the L bracket that fits the inside of the base. Cut a 4 inch piece of 1 1/4 square tubing and install it between the angle and the conner wall stud cross drill through the angle the square tube and the wall stud from both directions. Be sure to drill one hole lower than the first so that the bolts don't hit at the point where they cross each other. This will add a lot of strength to the frame work.
    Dave I will try to get some photos up in the next few days.

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is some pictures of the modifications I detailed above.
    I will take more when I get more done but that will be much later.
    I got to get my show car ready for this year and the GH won't be used until next year so no hurry on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: HFGH pictures

• milwdave
    18 years ago

Forgot to ask you in the other thread....what does your wife think of it? :)

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The wife thinks it will be really nice. I have explained to her what my plans are for it in the future.
    I already have the shelving and some windows but still got a lot of items to buy yet.
    Yesterday while working in it with the door open it was up to 80 degrees and I opened just one roof vent and in about ten minutes it had dropped to less than 70. Looks like the roof vents are going to work real good. Be interesting to see how well the ceiling fan will work at pushing the heat up and out the roof vents.

• oregon_veg
    18 years ago

FWIW. I also considered the HFGH. Not now.
    Last year I bought a 14" bandsaw from the local store here.
    At the time of purchase, I explained I was only going to buy it if I could also get the riser block for it (So I can resaw large pieces of wood). They didn't have any in stock but reassured me they could order it and I would receive it in a few weeks.
    I made them recheck the stock to make sure. Everything was good. I bought the bandsaw for $299.00. Took it home, put it together, and waited for the Riser kit. Weeks went by.. nothing. I called and checked. they said it was backorder.
    2 weeks later I recieved a postcard in the mail that this part is no longer being made by the manufacturer. Now it's been 6 months and I have a worthless bandsaw that gets used maybe once a month. I called just 3 days ago to check again.. No riser block, don't excpect it, don't look for it..... It ain't coming Jack. Wouldn't buy A HFGH if it was $20.
    BTW, before you ask why I didn't return the Bandsaw... It too was missing parts and some of the parts were milled incorrectly so I had to modify it just to make it saw right.
    Anyone want to buy a slightly used Chinese-made hunk of metal?

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got news for you Harbor Freight don't have a monopoly on that sort of thing. I have had the same problem with General Motors and Hewett Packard plus many more down through the years. If you stop doing business with everyone that has poor customer service then you will have no place to buy anything because customer service is a thing of the past. I had a service technician here yesterday to fix my wireless Internet service. Today it stopped working again and I fixed it my self. Nowadays if you want something done do it yourself. If you don't know how to fix it your self then you are screwed.
    OK now we can get back on topic this forum is for building greenhouses not bashing company's

• oregon_veg
    18 years ago

Sorry,
    You're right about the topic here.
    I was not trying to bash them. In fact, I still believe HF is a great outlet for many types of tools & accesories (even gardening tools)
    My frustration comes from things that need to be assembled,lack of clear assembly instructions and needing parts, etc from ANY company not just HF.
    Many people are very satisfied with their HFGH.
    Didn't mean to hijack your thread.
    I apologize

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No apology needed I was just pointing out that harbor freight is not the only one with poor customer service.
    I have a supercharger on my Corvette that is made by ATI if you think HF has poor customer service you should try doing business with ATI sometime.

• klark_az
    17 years ago

gardenerwantabe do you have any photos of the modifications you made to the corners? I cannot see these photos on the HFGH 10X12 link to photobucket.

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I uploaded more photos. The link now shows many photos including how I attached the pool cover so that it won't blow off. Since their seems to be a never ending demand for help with the 10x12 HFGH I may make a post outlining all the modifications all in one post this should be of some help for those trying to build one of these things. It is already a proven fact that they will not withstand high wind without modifications.

• muttchaser
    17 years ago

I too called them today but alas, its Saturday, their not open until Monday. As luck would have it I just bought the 10X12 and immediatelty noticed that page 5 was left blank. Hmmm.. so I found this forum. I must say you all have been very helpful. I downloaded the instruction booklet you kindly provided. Page 5 is the section on constructing the base. Low and behold, all of the base parts are missing from my box as well. So now I'm wondering if the page wasn't left blank on purpose since they didn't include those parts? Of course the next page goes on to say that any warranty will be voided if you don't use their base. Do any of you know if the base is sold separetly. Or is this why its cost is only $599.00.

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The base is included. Don't wait till they can get a base that will take forever. Call them and tell them that the base is missing and that you are sending it back and you want a replacement. You will have another new GH is a week or so waiting on parts may take months.

• muttchaser
    17 years ago

Thank you ! I actually braved the slew of 17 yr olds that work in the store and found the missing box with the base. I am off to play!

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The base should have been in the big box with everything else. If someone at the store opened the box it may have been to give someone else parts. Before you start building check the parts that you have against the parts sheet to be sure you have everything.

• muttchaser
    17 years ago

Yes, I wondered about that too and was very carefull to count each piece. It went up in two days. I'm thrilled with it. Everyone was very kind in their description of the instructions though...they were nothing short of pure evil. I guess I'm not as forgiving. But I do love the greenhouse. We'll see how it holds up.

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do love the greenhouse. We'll see how it holds up.

If you did the modifications and you locate it where it has a wind break it will be fine but if you just slapped it together and sit it out in the open then you will be posting like those who Did that. One guy lost his the first week.

• muttchaser
    17 years ago

All done and have begun moving in. This is gonna be great!
    Check out the slideshow of our project.

Here is a link that might be useful: My greenhouse project

• ddsack
    17 years ago

Very nice slideshow, your greenhouse turned out great! You are an inspiration to me. Will try this next spring.

Just curious - what was all that white rock/brick in the first pictures, and what became of it?

Dee

• muttchaser
    17 years ago

The white brick? Oh...My husband came into some white slump block some time ago...his plan was to build a garage with it. What you see in the photo are the broken pieces. I am planning to use them as a garden border. They ended up there because the site where we put the greenhouse was where all the brick sat but we moved them.

• ringmangs1
    17 years ago

I bought the 10X12 HFGH and it is up. I dug a hole and placed the base frame in it and filled it with what we call red breeze. I did have a bit of a problem with the instructions. I went to HF web site and downloaded a new set of instructions. That helped, but even with these new instructions, it left a lot to the imagination. They were different than the ones that came with the GH. I do want to make some modifications to our GH also to make it stronger. I am new to this site and would like to know how to find pictures on here, especially of the pool cover for insulation. I am thinking of putting up bubble wrap on the inside to help with insulation. I found these items on EBAY.

Greenhouse Insulation Fittings - Super Alliplugs x 50

Has any one tried these?

Here is the link to his EBAY store. Looks like lots of parts we could use on our HFGH.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Greenhouse-Warehouse

He is located in UK, but the parts look exactly like what came with the HFGH, if you need extra parts.

Tom S
    Colorado

Here is a link that might be useful: GreenHouse parts in the UK for HFGH

• jimmydo2
    17 years ago

So thats where all the parts missing from the Kits have ended up ;)