Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

Earthkind Trial Rose Garden in Farmer's Branch, Texas

ilovemyroses
12 years ago

If any people nearby haven't been, I do recommend it!

I went yesterday, and strolled through hundreds of roses. Won't go into detail about Earthkind, but basically, they have a 'sink or swim' rose program. great soil, minimal care.

Many David Austins were there looking great!! Heritage was amazing, and the thrips were all at MY house, as there was no evidence there!! Dark Lady was great, as were Evelyn, Tamora (who hates me!), Molineaux, Benjamin Britton (a personal fav!), The Generous Gardener was beautiful, and beautifully displayed! many more...

Many HT's. McCartney Rose, Mr. Lincoln, Love and Peace, Oklahoma (i know it is antique forum, but these bushes looked beautiful, which is my general complaint, as some ht's are just pretty blooms for me).

Miniatures looked great. Some fabulous Buck roses!!

And, of course, the Earthkind selections were nice.

But, there are so many they are testing for inclusion into the EK list, and from what I could tell, many were doing quite well!! So, just know, it is not JUST EK ROSES!!

You won't believe the size of some! the size of a vw bug!!!

Will post pics if I can figure it out...what a pain, gotta get a picaso account and all!! If anyone knows a simpler way, DO tell!! I have ipad and iphone if that makes it easier!!

And, the gardens are free!!

Comments (26)

• michele8132
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tip - I think I will try to go tomorrow.

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Wow, looking fwd for pictures. Will see if I can make it in a week or two. Thanks for the info.
    Antique Rose Emporium is having an event this weekend, trying to make it there.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Where in TX is Farmer's Branch?

Jeri

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

I know the Earth Kind studies started in Texas, and have been done somewhere else, too. Does anyone know if there have been, or are planned any EK studies of roses anywhere in CA? Local conditions are so important, I just ignore any data from places far away from here. It seems to me that we on this forum have been exchanging our own sort of EK data from our own gardens, but it certainly would be helpful if the EK study folks would do a formal study in CA.

Jackie

• michele8132
    12 years ago

Jeri, Farmer's Branch is a part of the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex. It is just north of Dallas.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

I went two years ago to the Rose Dango in October; they gave talks about the Earthkind roses, Michael Shoup gave a very interesting talk,the Rose Rustlers were there, and they had bluegrass bands; it was glorious weather, and they served hot dogs and hamburgers, just an all around pleasurable day...

Roses were gorgeous then, bet they are even more so in the spring!

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Thanks Michael -- SO, it's not far from Chambersville?

Jeri

• saldut
    12 years ago

Please can you comment on the weather where the trials are held? Is it a hot HUMID location, or just hot, and dry? that humidity or lack of it makes a big difference in how those roses appear, whether they get BS or not.... I sure wish they could hold trials here in BS ground-zero, Central Fla. !! thanks, sally

• michele8132
    12 years ago

Sally,
    It can be humid here in the spring - right now it is at about 55% (but I wouldn't call this a very humid day). I think that summer humidity values usually hover around 35% give or take 10%. So, not as dry as Arizona, but not as humid as FL.
    Michele

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wow! glad to see the interest!

this garden is huge. it is in the northwest quadrant of 635 and IH 35 west in north Dallas area. i'll post a link if i can find one.

(ogrose, I went to Rose Dango, too and heard Michael Shoup! wonder if we shared a picnic table as I sure didn't miss the burgers!!)

saldut, weather is HOT, up to 110 some summers. last year we had (correct me someone locally) over 60 days or so in the summer over 100. humidity is not extreme. not arid, but not oppressively humid as a rule, altho it can be at times.

the site there has a gentle slope, so they make good use of rainfall. AND, a great breeze and open area, which minimizes infestation of pests.

jack. i doubt it (regarding california). it is out of texas a and m university which is near houston. don't know the details of the dallas area selection, but it is a great thing. and proven reliable roses for this area. and many, i would presume. just google earthkind roses and find an a and m univ. link and you can read about it.

jeri, no, not far. all easy within a day...last year for this event ogrose spoke of, i went to both. probably an hour apart, altho they are both 'dallas area'.

HEY DFW PALS! if anyone is going to rose dango, maybe we could share a picnic table and converse old style!!

TOO, jeri, they have a nice (and different) selection of roses for sale at chambersville. i need to check their list. when are you coming??

OH! DON'T FORGET YOUR BUG SPRAY WHEN YOU GO!!!!!! something kept nibbling on me, but strangely, not the roses! apart from no maintenance, which is a part of the protocol for the test gardens (no deadheading and just, I think, once or twice a year trimming of major dead wood...if that) everything was lovely. the arbors with The Generous Gardener were spectacular!! and there ARE some HT's that are hardier than I used to believe!!

ENJOY ALL! IT IS A WONDERFUL PLACE! hats off to Farmer's Branch, they have roses landscaped in many public areas. and not JUST knockouts!! They have a row of Archduke Charles probably 100 yards long that are always beautiful!! (near the police station).

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

AGH!!! northEAST quadrant of 635 and IH35 EAST....so sorry!! :+)

• professorroush
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, everything looks good at this time of year. Go back in August and look again.

I don't know where else the EarthKind program is going but there was a small trial in Wichita Kansas over the past four years. I don't know the outcome.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

We're going to be in TX some time in mid-to-late May, on a swing around the country, after the Dalmatian Club of America Specialty. It's a good time to see family in AR, TN, MS and -- of course -- TX. We'll probably see my folks in Adina, and then go on, hopefully to hit Chambersville, en route.

So, please don't let TX get too hot and humid, too early.
    :-)

Jeri

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jeri, i will do my best!! didn't have much luck there last year tho!

professorr, i did go last year, in september, which is no better!! and, while they did SOME remedial watering, it was basically 'a part' of the testing, and some, MOST, looked good. the proof, i believe, they are looking for, is established with their ability to withstand drought issues and survive. and the plants i saw yesterday are mature plants, that handled our worst summer in history, and are still ticking. and lookin' good, at that.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

ilovemyroses, I will definitely plan on going in October! That would be fun to meet up and share a picnic table. So much depends on how my husband is feeling, sort of have to go by that, but that sounds fun!

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ogrose! great!! i just looked it up, i thought it was in the spring! bummer! i do need to go up there and visit the gardens sometime soon, before the heat sets in!! I loved it last year! So many I had never seen mature.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    12 years ago

You mention Michael Shoup from the ARE, but what about Dr. Stephen George? Isn't he directly involved with the Earth kind roses?

We share your weather, but not the convenience of being able to take a short trip to Dallas. It is 4 hours away, and that is quite a distance for a Sunday afternoon drive.

Jeri, I am looking forward to seeing you. it will be soon now, won't it?

Sammy

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

professorrousch, NOTHING in Texas looks good in August, trust me!!

• msrose
    12 years ago

Oh darn, I wish I had read this sooner. I could have gone yesterday, but today is yucky and rainy. Maybe next weekend!

• cweathersby
    12 years ago

I'm so jealous! I would love to go visit this garden. I may do that, the next time I have a dr appointment in Dallas.

• saldut
    12 years ago

Thanks for the humidity feed-back, folks-- just as I suspected, the humidity there is much lower than here where I am, today we are not too bad, w/humidity at 70% and dew-point at 75, when summer gets here it gets much higher, we have the A/C on now... roses here get a work-out that's for sure..... astonishingly there are many that do not seem affected at all, no B/S... mostly the China and some Teas and Noisettes, and the sweet little Drift roses.. and KOs... sally

• jeffcat
    12 years ago

There are Earth Kind gardens all over the US. Texas A&M has many gardens all over the country including Alaska. There are some in California somewhere but it doesn't say where. You would have to email them. We have a nice Earth Kind rose garden in Columbus, Ohio. Texas A&M with cooperation from the Park of Roses and The Ohio State University keep up with care of the Columbus garden and Chamblees supplies most all the roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earth Kind Gardens

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

I think the EarthKind trials are a magnificent idea. I've been talking recently on one of the (two) Italian forums I frequent about how to grow roses without using -cides, talking about some of the basics because the people on the forum, even the expert rose growers, don't seem to have a clue. If I can even find a couple of gardeners who are interested, or transmit to a neophyte rose grower the idea that gardening without spraying is possible and rewarding, I'll consider my efforts well spent.
    This has been a fun thread to read. Ilovemyroses, thanks for starting it!
    Melissa

• spiderlily7
    12 years ago

Saldut, I'm in south Louisiana so you and I both deal with simmilar heat and humidity pressures. The LSU Agricultural Research Center station at Hammond, LA has been field-testing Earth-Kind roses for years. You might check around their website to see if anything has been published lately about their results: www.lsuagcenter.edu

• jeannie2009
    12 years ago

Here in Western Washington we do not have a humidity problem but in the spring and fall rain and rain and rain...well you get it.
    Many Ht's and Floribunda's get oodles of BS especially in the fall.
    I have ordered many EarthKind roses from Chamblee in Tyler Texas. They have performed magnificently. Amongst the OGR's most dont get BS. Those that do have not had significant leaf drop. There are exceptions however.
    So if anyonbe is looking for excellent roses that do well in this area the Chamblee list of Earthkind roses is a great starting point for an easy to care for garden.
    Jeannie