Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frizzle_gw

If you were a Buddleia, what would you like planted at your feet?

Frizzle
16 years ago

I have a nice nanaho purple buddleia in a south/west corner spot between the house and an addition. It's a show off and loves where it lives but the rest of the bed is pretty boring!

Any combos you love?

I have literally nothing else in there and it's a fairly big area. Maybe 10'x10'

Comments (12)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

Echinacea and Pardancandas would make stunning companions. So would some Agastaches--A. foeniculum or A. cana and its hybrids.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

I also have a BBush that ended up 7ftx7ft last year and what I planted near it ended up too close. I had some Sedum AJ in front of it that ended up under the branches, so that came out this year. There was some Agastache in the bed, but I found it reseeded all over the place and I ended up ripping all that out this year. As much as I love the root beer smell of the foliage, I just can't seem to remember to deadhead it before it goes to seed. I had a Pennisestum Hamelin in front of it that was very successful. Someone suggested to me last time I asked, to use Stachys Helen von Stein.

pm2

• greenguy1
    16 years ago

I have lots of tall bearded iris planted on one side, the similar foliage colors with different foliage textures is nice, and the iris distract from the after-the-winter-pruned look of the Buddleia. I have some trumpet lilies behind it, which grow up tall and bloom before the Buddliea has gotten tall enough to obscure them, then the shrub helps hide the yellowing lily foliage later in the summer.

- Steve

• webkat5
    16 years ago

I have Asiatic Lilies around one of mine...they are finished blooming by the time the Buddleja really gets going.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Steve I love that idea. I have some Casa Blanca lilies, I wonder if I could do the same with those.

webkat, do you have anything in front of the lilies?

• Donna
    16 years ago

I like hybrid daylilies in shades of orange and Powis Castle Artemisia in front of my purple Buddleia. You could plant the Casa Blancas or Asiatics in between the daylilies, and they would pick up where the daylilies leave off (at least in my climate) and the the daylily foliage would help fill in the lankiness of the liliums too.

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

sedum vera jameson for later in the season. Not too vertical, not too flat. One of the prettiest.

• lindac
    16 years ago

I like yellow with that buddleia....heliopsis or helianthis or....argh....name escapes....Mexican hat?
    Also rose Campion is a cood companion.
    Linda C

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

I have unknown scented pastel yellow daylilies planted at the base of one of my Buddleias. They really flower in July and then send out more but fewer flowers when the Buddleia flowers. Nice combo! Just the right height.

• DYH
    16 years ago

Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' looks great with purple and blues.

Coreopsis 'Moonbeam' is nice and a pale yellow compared to the rudbeckia.

Echinacea 'White Swan' is pretty for a purple/white combo. If you want to fire it up a bit with a trio of colors, add a beautiful orange like Tithonia 'Fiesta del Sol' or orange Profusion Zinnia (annuals). Monarch butterflies love Tithonia, buddleia and echinacea.

• Frizzle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Lots of ideas to choose from!

Thanks everyone!

I'll be planning, then planting and I'll post an update as it starts growing into the season.

:)
    Friz

• sinai
    16 years ago

If coneflowers are your thing, other than purple, 'Harvest Moon' one of the Big Sky Series would look mighty nice at the foot of a purple buddleia......its a yellow/goldish color.....I have a yellow buddleia, a Buddleia x weyeriana 'Honeycomb', I got it flanked with russian sage, 'Blue Spires', looks mighty nice when they both get going in the summer......

Paul from Alabama