Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anita55_gw

my backyard need suggestions

anita55
17 years ago

Hello, and happy spring to everyone. Hope you all came through the winter and recent storms ok.

I need to perk up my backyard garden. I'm giving you photos to look at with the hopes that you can picture what I can't and tell me what you would do to make it beautiful. Right now there are 2 Rhododendrons, bloom Pinkish purple in June, which are doing well. There are also 2 azaleas which bloom red in the spring. I just put in two hydrangeas last year, which bloomed blue, and they seem to be coming back to life now. They are expected to be about 5 feet(eventually) I think. So, I'm pulling out the rosebush you see, Dr. Huey, and need to put in some perennials that will brighten up and go from spring through autumn if possible.

One thing I notice that the most beautiful gardens I see seem to have lots of plants close together. I seem to plant too few and not close enough together to make it look "finished". Please help me if you can with what might be suitable and where to plant each so they compliment each other. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

More information:

The right side of the garden, between the two rhodies is 10 feet wide, from the wall in the back to the front edge, and 16 feet long, from the left rhododendron right to the low rocks on the right side.

The left side is about seven feet long.

{{gwi:204913}}

{{gwi:204914}}

{{gwi:204915}}

Comments (4)

• duluthinbloomz4
    17 years ago

Nice space to work with! Lots of people would really envy the rocks and boulders.

First thing I would do is build up some soil around the boulder bases to settle them in a little more. Throw in more soil among the rocks to create nooks and crannies to put in rock softening plants - hens & chicks, alpines, etc.

With the grey tones in the rock - varieties of dianthus, Russian sage, nepeta, lavender would go nicely. Daylilies, Siberian iris, platycodon/balloon flowers, heuchera, sedum, hostas are perennial favorites that don't require fussing over. And to create the "too few plant" look, buy 3 of everything so you can create groupings with taller, mid-height and low, foliage colors and textures, bloom colors. When I buy something new I move it around in the pot to find the best spot. Nice thing about plants is they can always be moved, added to if you have too few and thinned out if you have too many.

I'm primarily a perennial gardener, but I make good use of annuals for continuous color, too. Tuck in some impatiens for shady spots; pansies, statice, snapdragons, zinnias, dahlias for sun

• anita55
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thank you, yes the rocks and boulders are a nice framework, but they are shifting and I think they may need some help soon if I want them to stay in place. I neglected to mention that there is vinca growing from the wall in some places, too. thanks for the suggestions; I will look at the varieties you mention.

• jkunkel
    17 years ago

Looks like that garden gets lots of sun! I would definitly say you could use some daylilies in there somewhere. And even if you don't get many they get bigger and prettier every year. They would really brighten thing up, and other perennials planted with them just enhance their beauty. Check out Marietta gardens, or Oakes daylilies for great prices, scelection, and info for growing daylilies. Lily, and iris bulbs multiply rather rapidly in my garden so a combination of plants like these would fill in your bare spots quickly. And even better they are all relatively fuss free. Hens and chicks, or stonecrop is a great idea for the cracks in those boulders. There are so many options, just pick out flowers that you like, and make you smile!

• jkunkel
    17 years ago

Just thought id share my favorite daylily. Lavender Blue Baby

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:204912}}

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert