Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
basie9

Greenhouse tips and temperatures

basie9
11 years ago

I haven't used a greenhouse before, but my dad found a great deal on these little walk-in greenhouses. I'm just giving mine a go! I was wondering if you had tips, particularly in regards to temperature... how cold is too cold, and how hot is too hot? I see posts about ideal ranges, but what will start to hurt my plants/seedlings? I installed a little electric temperature instrument that I can read in the house, but I didn't know what I should be watching for?

Comments (3)

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You'll want your flap rolled up on a sunny day. I don't know what plants you have, some tropical house plants really hate cold temperatures, but most garden plants will not die until they get below freezing.

Make sure you anchor your greenhouse to the ground as much as possible so that high winds don't damage it.

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

Ideal temp. range totally depends on what plants you're growing, but a good compromise is around 65-75 degrees or as close to it as you can manage. At night it will get almost as cold as the outdoors because there isn't much inside to store heat. Throwing a large fleece blanket over the GH may help a little.

• daniel_nyc
    11 years ago

basie9 wrote: >I haven't used a greenhouse before, but my dad found a great deal on these little walk-in greenhouses.

Yes, they are pretty cheap, but… I had one…

>how cold is too cold, and how hot is too hot?

It depends on the plants and the exterior temperature you have there. I see you mostly have flowers. If you have some tropical flowers, as Cole_Robbie said, they will NOT like low temperature. Some might not even like very high temperature either. Check the optimal temperature for the plants you have there.

As Cole_Robbie said, during the day, roll up the plastic door. And if it's hot during the night keep it also open.

This kind of GH get VERY hot VERY fast. If outside is 60’ F, inside can easily get to 80-90’ F. if outside is 70, even if the door is open, you will get 100’ F or more. If the door is closed, you will get 120'F +. You can do little to control the heat. For example you could use a shade fabric. These shade fabrics come in different degrees of shade.

Last summer there were almost 100’F for few days and it was VERY hot inside, probably 120' F - OBVIOUSLY the door roll up - the plastic cover of the GH - the roof - started to melt. Of course, I couldn’t use it anymore. So I took it down, and I built my own GH, technically a cold frame.

>I see posts about ideal ranges, but what will start to hurt my plants/seedlings?

Like I said before, it all depends of the plants you have there. If vegetable seedlings, 70’ F would be the maximum. They will not die at 80’ F, but they don’t like it. And at that temperature you’ll have to water them every day.

>I installed a little electric temperature instrument that I can read in the house, but I didn't know what I should be watching for?

You should watch for temperature and humidity in the GH. Over 85% humidity is dangerous, because mold will develop. In my GH, I installed a fan which worked very well. The fan also help lowering the temperature in the GH.

You can also put 2-3 Silica Gel packs. It helps, but make sure you refresh them often.

Regarding low temperatures, inside will be at least 5 degrees higher than outside. Even more if it’s windy outside. For vegetable seedlings you will need about 55’ F inside your GH. For flowers most likely higher. So if outside temperature is lower than 50’ F you might have a problem.

Yes, you can cover your GH, with a “large fleece blanket” - as Slimy_Okra suggested - but be careful not to be very heavy, because GH’ structure is pretty fragile. Do NOT use a blanket if rain is on the way. Use a poly tarp instead.

VERY IMPORTANT: As Cole_Robbie said, you’ll have to anchor your greenhouse to the ground. I made a structure, a frame of 2 x 4’’ covered by a ¾’’ plywood. I fixed the GH to that structure with screws, and it passed a mini-tornado. You could also use these Hook Style Tent Stakes.

Please see here my cold frame. You could get some inspiration.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 23:23

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES