Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19696490

Other predominant flowers in your garden besides roses?

User
16 years ago

I wondered if there is any other flower/shrub that you grow like crazy, as you do roses. I don't mean a companion here and there, I mean something that you grow in abundance like hydrangeas, lilies, etc. I read that Carla, for example, is getting into irises. Anybody else have any predominant flowers they grow?

Comments (41)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

This time of year it is the daffodils, with a few remaining tulips and hyacynths. Later, it will be Oriental lilies. I'm not that organized.

In a good year, I'll have dianthus and speedwell, I don't that this will be a good year.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Irises. Lots of those.
    Brugmansia -- tho they get pretty big, so that's a limitation.
    Plumeria -- lots of plumeria.
    Epiphyllums, which are really interesting.
    A few fuchsias -- sticking to those fairly resistant to fuchsia gall mite.

Jeri

• cincy_city_garden
    16 years ago

I'd have to say butterfly bushes. I've got 6 scattered around the yard. Big shows of color and they draw the swallowtails and monarchs in droves. One time I saw 8 to 10 monarchs all flitting about the same bush.

{{gwi:251797}}

Eric

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

Violets and daylilies. I bought a couple of violets last year from Bluestone and they did so well that I had to get more this year. The ones I bought last year bloomed all year, from the time I got them out of the box until the frost got them. Daylilies are great too because they come in so many colors. I've got a great nursery near me with a ton of different dayliles so I can pick out whatever I like on a whim instead of needing to order something. I just wish they'd rebloom here.

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Not at all in the flower or sun loving department but I have quite a few hostas. I'm sure to be adding more this year. And every year apparently. I really do love them as do the slugs. I feed them the cheapest beer available to keep the slippery little darlings at bay.

This year I plan to plant many more coneflowers also.

Kate

• dmg2242
    16 years ago

Jeri, speaking of fuschias, I gave in and bought a beautiful fuschia in a 10" pot that is blooming to beat the band. I've put it in full shade, but now I hear that even the heat in the shade can kill them pretty quickly-bummer.

What about these gall mites--sounds disgusting. Good thing I only spent $8.00 on it.

My second addiction is clematis and I have about 10 vines or so. This year I've become interested in daylilies...sure to become another addiction.

When does it end??

Denise

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

Oh boy! Irises definitely, both bearded and beardless. Geraniums seem to have wandered in in fairly vast quantities. One day I'll get sorted out what exactly I have. I've been better about keeping track of the epimediums. There was the year I was forced to buy daylilies, and the year boxes of ornamental grasses kept showing up, and pulmonaria. Dianthus have a habit of wandering in and then wandering back out a year or two later. If I could find more varieties locally I'd have a pile of baptisia.

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

Oriental and Asian lillies,
    Hostas
    Asters
    Salivias
    Nepeta
    among a bunch of other perennials and annuals
    Kathy

• the_morden_man
    16 years ago

Day Lillies
    Delphiniums
    Liatris
    Lavender
    Salvias
    Nepeta
    Hardy Geraniums
    Yarrow
    Shasta Daisy

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Dandylions, poke weed, privet and hackberry.
    Well, they do grow well here and I understand Beth Chatto wanted folks in Europe to start planting Poke for the color!
    I had butterfly bushes and loads of butterflies. And some bluebirds with attitudes discovered both and just sat by the butterfly bushes and feasted. Nothing sadder than piles of butterfly wings. Then one of the high jumping cats discovered the bluebirds. Now I plant butterfly bushes far, far apart.

Whups, I forgot to mention growing poison ivy for fall color.

I am trying to find where I can recreate the almost no work annual collection of my childhood: Bachelor Buttons, red poppies and larkspur en masse.
    And I'm sticking daffodils darned near every rose that's near a vole/mole run.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

dahlias

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Clematis. There's always room for another Clematis. Also Agaves, Aloes, and Echeverias.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Well, Ann, if we are going there then I'll add clover!

I didn't mention the lavender or the thymes. And not the hosta, because I hate it, or the demon vinca that is blooming now. I think all of the blue flag iris that came with the house are now gone, but I gave a few corms to Mom and they are flourishing nicely in her yard.

• olga_6b
    16 years ago

I am chronically obsessed with:
    Irises (all kind, German, Japan., Dutch,etc)
    Peonies (this is even more crazy for me then roses)
    Lilacs
    Lilies of all kind (oriental trumpet, daylilies....)
    Delphiniums
    Clematis
    Veronicas
    Chrizantemums from King's Mums (not the regular mums, don't like them at all)
    Tall Garden Flox
    Many other perennials

It is not curable and I am as much addicted to all these above as to roses. I research and collect and can't stop. It is good my yard is small. But it is really packed with everything. If I see a dirt in my flower bed, I will plant something there right away. I still have some grass. I believe it is needed for visual framing of flower beds. Gardens w/o grass don't appeal to me.
    Olga

• jerijen
    16 years ago

What about these gall mites--sounds disgusting.

*** The effects look pretty stomach-churning, and are similar in some respects
    to the appearance of RRD on a rose.
    Some species are immune to it, and enterprising souls are breeding more from them.
    But the most typical big-bloomed very double cultivars are almost all open to it.
    People who are serious about fuchsias spray like demons.
    The rest of us grow only the few that are resistant.
    But this is one of the main reasons that interest in fuchsias has waned.

Jeri

• veilchen
    16 years ago

Delphiniums

Iris (mostly Siberian, but some bearded if they're really good ones).

A few daylilies grow amongst my roses, but I moved the majority of my collection to a different garden. I feel that if the daylilies aren't religiously deadheaded daily, they look "messy" in the rose garden.

Nepeta is a classic, but grows so fast I need to prune it back 1-2 x summer. Something I put off as long as I can as it is constantly covered with bees, even in the evening.

Have a few peonies, but they bloom about the same time as the roses so they kind of blend in as look-alikes. I planted a few tree peonies last year that should bloom earlier.

I also have a few dianthus. So easy to tuck in here and there.

Lavender! (classic).

Phlox (mostly 'David', white)

creeping thyme between the stepping stones.

Clematis with my climbers.

Liatris (at first I kept it confined to the "meadow garden" area, but the pink spikes look so well with DA colors I decided it belongs all over.

and foxglove--I think I finally got it timed right. I grew some from seed last year and only one of them bloomed last year, and the rest have come back and should make a nice show this year along with the roses.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    16 years ago

Salvia, lavender, clematis, daylilies, thyme, daffodils, hyacinth, tulips, vinca, dianthus, grape hyacinths, creeping phlox, iris, alyssum, catmint, verbena, tall phlox, coneflowers, rudbeckia, asters, conifers, trees, hostas, hydrangeas, bleeding heart, lilac, rose of sharon, mums, tons of little things...

• sunnishine
    16 years ago

daylilies, daisys and hostas are what I have the most of

• phylrae
    16 years ago

Asiatic/OT/Oriental/species lilies (quite a few)
    Daylilies (10-15 kinds)
    Peonies (just 4)
    Siberian Iris (3 kinds) & Spuria Iris (4 kinds)
    Kasperek tall bearded iris (just a few left)
    Double and Split-Cup Daffodils (quite a few)
    Tulips (mainly Darwins/peony-flowered)
    Japanese Painted ferns (2 kinds)
    Monardas (2-3)
    Baptisia australis
    Echinacea (3-4 kinds)
    Bleeding hearts (2 kinds)
    Lupines
    Foxy foxglove
    Sunflowers (unusual ones)
    Cosmos (many)
    Bachelor buttons (all colors)
    Zinnias
    Dianthus/Carnations
    Daisies (2 kinds)
    Kniphofia
    Rudbeckia (several kinds)
    Gaillardias (" ")
    Calendulas
    Lavender Munstead
    Salvias
    Candy lily
    Trollius
    Stokesia
    Larkspurs
    Robinson's Painted Daisies
    and as decobug said, lots more from seed...

:0) Phyl

• Terry Crawford
    16 years ago

Reblooming irises and daylilies
    Hostas
    Heucheras and tiarellas
    Ferns
    Peonies and tree peonies
    Clematias
    Ornamental trees and grasses
    Daisies
    Campanula
    Phlox and obedient plant
    Wisteria
    Hydrangeas
    Stokesias
    Mums
    Hibiscus
    Lambs Ears
    Carnations
    Lilacs

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Violas/pansies, delfs, salvias, and anything that has a daisy look, especially coneflowers. I also love clematis with roses and have around 10 so far. Must get more!

Karen, I love your fence!

Diana

• buford
    16 years ago

Daylilies
    foxglove
    Crazy Daisies
    Cone Flowers
    Irises
    Pin Cushion Flowers
    Coreopsis
    Bee Balm
    Gardenias
    Magnolias
    Clematis

• len511
    16 years ago

bearded iris (never bought, just divided crowded bed that was here when i moved in),peonies,lilacs, bulbs of all kinds.

• kandaceshirley
    16 years ago

it'd have to be columbines - I have them everywhere! Along with the anne's dandelions, diane's clover, and creepycharlie

• kandaceshirley
    16 years ago

and how'd I forget the poppies - somedays, I feel like the wicked witch staring into her ball, poppies, poppies....

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    16 years ago

It seems every year I get hung up on one type of flower. This year it is roses because I found this forum back in November of 07. But before roses I went wild with
    hosta
    peonies
    phlox
    daylilies
    princess lilies (alstromeria or peruvian lilies)
    asiatic lilies
    weigela
    crepe myrtles ( reg. and dwarf )
    viburnum
    heuchera
    clematis
    hydrangeas
    lantana
    astilbe
    anemones
    azaleas
    helleborus
    iris
    tons and tons of annuals also!!!!

I am obsessed with all kinds of flowers. I don't know when to stop. Judy

• prairie-rose
    16 years ago

I've got a little of everything:

Perennials: May Night salvia, Rozanne geranium, Russian sage, and Nepeta are my workhorses. Also have peonies, clematis, hosta, daylilies, shasta daisies, scabiosa, moonbeam coreopsis, and putting in some lavender this year.

Annuals: I don't mess with them much, except for violas and morning glory.

Shrubs: Lilacs, potentilla, hydrangeas, snowball viburnum, dogwood, cranberry cotoneaster, willow (dwarf arctic blue), butterfly bush, junipers, purple leaf sand cherry, honeysuckle--the usual stuff. I've decided that when you live near several limestone quarries and your house foundation is limestone block, no amount of aluminum sulfate and oak leaves are going to make azaleas and rhodies like your garden. Those are going out this year--tired of watching them struggle along.

I don't deal with bulbs, tubers, or corms of any kind. Saving those for a future challenge, once I've got most of my main garden areas settled.

• bethnorcal9
    16 years ago

Irises are my "other" obsession, altho I'm even running out of places for them too. Also collect lots of lilies... Oriental, Asiatic, Orienpet, etc.... Dahlias & salvias out the ying yang. And a non-flowering obsession is the Japanese maples. I have to stop. It's awful...

• kathy9norcal
    16 years ago

Daylilies, daylilies, and more daylilies. They came first.
    Kathy

• freber
    16 years ago

We bought some old fashioned hollyhocks last year and OMG they're fabulous. I think that is the new obsession for this year - they reseeded all over (with a little help) - are hoping for a grand display this year!

• milkdudski
    16 years ago

200 Asiatic Lilies. It was my flower craze last year and German bearded irises the year before.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

German and Siberian Iris, hardy geranium, various salvias, daylilies, oriental lilies, rain lilies (evergreen) purple oxalis, Osteospermum, Penstemon, Astilbe, various Veronicas, Verbena tapien and more and more Clematis
    And Delphiniums even if they have been annuals for me so far

Here is a new favorite a 'spider' allium, not predominant, but{{gwi:251802}}

• rjlinva
    16 years ago

Lately, I've gotten into clematis (100 different varieties) and peonies...about 100 of these although not so many different varieties. But, my real show stopper is my bed of Mrs. Perry G. Sloacum water lotus which have literally stopped traffic.

Robert

• jerseywendy
    16 years ago

4 years ago it was hostas and hydrangeas because I had a good-sized strip of shady yard I wanted to fill in.

The year after it was peonies. I must say that I could have easily gone overboard with the tree peonies, but the DH stopped me.

2 years ago my rose obsession began, and I quickly ran out of room, managing to "make" room as the number of roses increased.

This year it's Delphiniums and various other perennials (like Butterfly Bushes, Nepeta and Salvia).

In a couple of weeks it'll be time to do my annual hanging baskets, which I tend to go overboard with as well.

---
    Wendy

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    16 years ago

Right now its my viburnums. Eight total. Korean Spice is blooming now. I have yet to find a fragrance more pleasing.

I have 50 azaleas and 20 rhododendrons.
    {{gwi:202700}}

Hundreds of Black-Eyed Susan - I only bought 2, but they like it here.
    {{gwi:228436}}

I think I'm up to 8 Clematis:
    {{gwi:227060}}

Lots of spiderwort:
    {{gwi:251806}}

And Hardy Amaryllis, another powerful fragrance:
    {{gwi:251809}}

About a dozen lilies:
    {{gwi:251812}}

Lace Cap Hydrangeas:
    {{gwi:202256}}

And a real obsession with the Hummingbird Garden:

{{gwi:237815}}

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hardy amarylis? I've never heard of them.

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

Nothing is as predominant as roses here. I do have a little collection of hydrangeas, Peruvian Lillies, Abulitons, Viburnums, Oriental Lillies, Geraniums, Japanese Maples.

• hsummer
    16 years ago

daylillies
    wiegelas
    verbena
    super bells or million bells - these are annuals, but they reseed well and come back here as perennials.
    Walker's Low catmint
    veronica
    may night salvia
    clematis
    hosta
    hydrangea
    lavendar (munstead and tuscan)
    Louisiana irises
    shasta daisies
    black eyed susan
    bee balm
    aster
    mums
    geranium (rozanne)
    coreopsis
    phlox

• triple_b
    16 years ago

harry, love your little friend on the black eyed susan.

I was focusing on the word 'predominant' so I only listed dahlias (that is when they are finally installed for the season) but I am doing cutting flowers this year. about as many as i can cram into a 8x9foot patch and still be able to tiptoe through.(sorry no tulips to finish the phrase)

• seattlesuze
    16 years ago

Clematis (more than 50)
    Lilies - day, oriental, orien-pet, species, asiatic (but who's counting!)
    Hydrangeas
    Penstemons
    Irises of all kinds (must be thousands)
    Bulbs of every kind including snowdrops, crocus, daffodils, tulips, muscari, scilla, chionodoxa, allium, peonies (tree and herbaceous)
    Geraniums (evergreen)
    Herbs including catnip, catmint, borage, feverfew, bee balm, sweet woodruff

Many other plants like viburnums, epimediums, dianthus, scabiosas, hostas, violas, violets, grasses, phlox and dahlias, but not predominant in the garden.

My garden, in short, is that anathema known as a 'collector's garden' to anyone trained as a landscape architect. My favorite place in the world to spend time.

Sue