Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poodlepup_gw

I'm such a dope!!

poodlepup
17 years ago

Spent a bunch of time researching, and a bunch of money buying the perfect roses for my new Norman Rockwell-esque, white picket fence front yard.

I wanted roses that went from light orange/apricots through pinks

I also wanted them to be old fashioned climbers, as well as disease resistant, fragrant, and continuous bloom.

I put in Zepherine, Westerland, Collete, Cottage Rose, and Bell Story.

The good news is I LOVE Westerland & Zepherine, and everything is covered in flowers!

The bad news is Collete, Cottage Rose, and even Belle Story, look so insipid, and washed out next to the westy, and zephey. They also seem to drop lots of petals, which for some reason look more messy than pretty.

How could this happen to me, The expert on color theory ?

Any recommendations for playmates for my beautiful Westeys and Zepheys??

Boy do I feel dumb!

Comments (13)

• luxrosa
    17 years ago

Nothing ventured nothing learned...
    Some pale roses do fade in hot climates, which I only learned after I moved from Seattle to California.

Because "flame colors" weren't introduced into roses until 1900 when the Pernetiana class was begun, there are no Old Garden Roses which are flame colored, although some Tea class roses, have glimmers of copper or peach or amber.
    There are only about a dozen Hybrid Tea varieties that I love, which date from after the Pernetiana era, one of these is the climbing Hybrid Tea called

- Climbing "Royal Sunset" which I'm fond of because the blooms are not stiff and overly formal, which gives it some of the grace of an older rose. It's
    -a climbing H.T. of apricot blend hues which holds its colors well, in Richmond, Ca. where I advised a freind to plant it on his arbor. For a climbing rose it has
    - very good repeat, more than any other Cl. H.T. I've seen,

- delicious fragrance, of mixed floral, quince, and rose, which it inherited from one of its' parents, "Sutters Gold".
    -good resistance to disease, in a local organic garden.
    My freind bought his two Climbing "Royal Sunset"s at the Petaluma rose ranch.
    You can see photos of it on helpmefind.com

Luxrosa

• michaelalreadytaken
    17 years ago

Westy and Zephy are hard acts to follow up here. I don't have Westy yet but it's difficult to resist. AAMOF, I don't know why I resist it other than its petal count.

If you want some once blooming competition for both of them, I heartily suggest Amethyst which is currently blooming here. It's a delicious adjunct, colorwise, for Zephy (and I suspect Westy) and remarkably fragrant, surprisingly fragrant.

Nor does it hurt that I plopped it into the ground where I wanted it and it's growing like crazy, very reminiscent of my last hybrid multiflora, Tausenchoen, with respect to rapid, unattended, growth.

Do you work with color? Just curious.

MichaelAT

• poodlepup
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Have had lots of color theory classes. -I know the science of it, well.
    Have done interior design for 20+ years, and have recently complete 2 year Landscape Design certificate.

I'll search for some pink/apricot roses that will hold there own with Zeph & Westerland.
    -Maybe "Portlandia", and "The Alexandra Rose"

• poodlepup
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LUXROSA
    Sounds like you know your stuff!

• bluesibe
    17 years ago

Pup,

Growing roses takes lots of trys, and lots of patience and most roses need at least 3 years to see if they really work.

I have Constance Spry near Westerland and Tamora and Belle Storey underneath. Belle is one of my favorites, but she is not a cutting rose and probably needs some time to gain strength. Once she is established, she is a great producer.

A lighter pink rose that might work for you could be Compassion, a newer Harkness, or Hybrid Musks Felicia or Cornelia. Both of these are not fast growers, but once they establish are incredible. I think you could think about a yellow on the other side of Westerland like Crepescule. Hoov has a picture of hers in the Gallery.

I love Royal Sunset. It is a beautiful rose for our foggy area. It produces an abundance of fragrant blooms. But, it is not a cutting rose, the blooms do not last, but there are so many of them, it doesn't matter to me. And I do not think the colors would go with Westerland, they are very different on the color spectrum. If you live in the East Bay, you are welcome to come over and see mine.

Have you thought about adding some clems for variation? One of the things that attracts me to English gardens is the way the gardener can add in companion plants and produce an incredibly serene palette.

BTW, different strokes as they say, I love petals on the ground.

Carol

• poodlepup
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I too fell in love with Belle Story.
    I think I will leave them in front, but maybe just not right next to Westey. I love "The Alexandra ROSE"

I could add some clem,.. for companion plants I have purchased

Syringa x meyeri 'Josee' (Dwarf 3'-6', pink, repeat blooming lilac)

• michaelalreadytaken
    17 years ago

I don't mean to take your thread astray but there's no email in your profile to ask privately.

Do you know the book: The Elements of Color by Johannes Ittenook?

If you don't mind emailing me about it, I'd appreciate it.

MichaelAT

• nickelsmumz8
    17 years ago

I, too, love Cl. Royal Sunset, and I think it could stand up to strong colors nearby as well. Ditto what luxrosa said.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    17 years ago

The Alexandra Rose (David Austin) is a lovely single, but you should be forewarned that it does not retain that beautiful coppergold/pink color very long. The flowers will quickly fade to white, sometimes with a faint pink blush. The initial color is so striking--I wish it would retain it--my only complaint about what is otherwise a very good shrub.

Kate

• michaelg
    17 years ago

I guess you have to see the rose, rather than a picture. Some light salmony roses are almost fluorescent, while Colette, with a similar hue, is very reticent.

• patricianat
    17 years ago

My garden is just a mish-mash of color and I just plant things where they land, but one of my favorite places in my garden is an area where I have Belle Story, Tiffany, Sombreuil, and some other pastels and in the middle I plonked Tropicana. It is just that little surprise that makes it work.

In decorating, that element of surprise is always what makes a room go from ho-hum, matchy-matchy to overwhelming, and sometimes we just need to do that in order to get the viewer's attention.

• berndoodle
    17 years ago

Bluesibe nailed it. Royal Sunset is the one. Stop looking. Mix that with Gloriana and you're cooking with gas. Or try a strong pink. He11, color theory is one thing, but who knows on paper when it's time to blend or confront? That's only determined on site with real light.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gloriana in the Gallery

• michaelg
    17 years ago

Omigod, Cass, I skipped that Gallery post because it said "miniature." Thanks for calling attention to it here. Really gorgeous.