Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronda_in_carolina

And you don't have Julia Child yet because.....???????

ronda_in_carolina
16 years ago

Full rose which reminds me of the Austins. Always in bloom.

I don't spray her and we have had a very wet cool spring. You can see some leaf spotting but this is about as bad as it gets. She will drop them if they get any worse and grow new ones.

{{gwi:266173}}

It doesn't get much easier...much prettier...than Julia Child

{{gwi:243384}}

Ronda

Comments (24)

• User
    16 years ago

Beautiful rose and pictures. Can't wait until mine looks like yours (I hope).

• cincy_city_garden
    16 years ago

Yes, with the HD sale, I finally had no excuse. Got one for 6.95 :)

I've heard lots of good things. Nice pictures.

Eric

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Because the ones I saw last spring in Asheville looked so very, very bad after the late spring freeze. Worse than my yellow Austins.

• alisande
    16 years ago

Because I fear it's too cold for her here. I've heard lots of good things, too, and was tempted by the HD sale, but chose Sunsprite instead.

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Beautiful! I have three - blooming their heads off right now, as are all the other roses. Ah, I love spring!

• aurora1701e
    16 years ago

Love her so much I have two in the ground and one standard in a large pot!

• piper101
    16 years ago

Did someone say HDepot is selling them??? I am going to buy this and just yesterday 2 of my nurseries didn't have it and the only one I could find wants to sell a 5 gal for $35!!! This place has primo stuff but $35 when I just paid $20 for a Disneyland at one of the other really nice nurseries is an outrageous difference. I was planning to suck it up and buy it tomorrow but I'll try HD first if the HD mentioned is HDepot. Let me know.

• cincy_city_garden
    16 years ago

HDepot was mentioned because they had a sale (now over) where they were selling bareroots and smaller potted roses. I'd suck it up and get the 5 gallon.

Eric

• aggierose
    16 years ago

I don't have her because she doesn't have a strong fragrance. Pretty pictures!

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

Alisande - mine has survived this winter and is starting to look great!!! If I can do it - you can too!! :)

Carol

• alisande
    16 years ago

WowÂI guess so, Carol! How deep did you plant?

My Wish List grows longer . . .

• sunnishine
    16 years ago

I have her already. :) I got her at home depot last year in a small pink pot own root for $10. woo hoo!

Mine is smaller than yours becuz the rabbit loved it last year before I put a barrier up, but it is catching up.

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Those of you still looking for this roses might want to try Target. I bought two of mine there about a month or so ago. I was a little hesitant because I usually only buy roses at a couple of my favorite nurseries and they are usually Weeks roses. These were Sean Conway and were so healthy looking I couldn't resist. I took them out of the containers when I got home and they were loaded with healthy roots. I think they were $17.98.

You may even find them on sale there. I found a Tamora there last week 50% off - ~$8.50! It's very healthy, too. I'm happy! : )

Diana

• artemis_pa
    16 years ago

Mine survived a brutal, icy winter with very little protection. I pruned her back to the ground in March. She is full of buds with beautiful foliage. I think she has quite a wonderful scent. Lovely rose.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    16 years ago

Gorgeous photos!! I bought me one at our Home Depot for ten dollars as well as Hot Cocoa. Judy

• rosesnpots
    16 years ago

Beautiful rose. its tempting, but I promised hubby...

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

Alisande - I do the usual 4 " under the soil, then I fill grocery bags with shredded paper, tie the bags and stuff them under the lower canes of the rose. As a bonus, ladybugs like to overwinter in the newspaper. Today I found a bunch of ladybug larvae!

Carol

• chefcdp
    16 years ago

Alisande,

Julia Child does much better in my MN zone 4a garden than Sunsprite. JC was one of the very few roses that did not have to be trimmed to the ground this spring. It was the worst year for winter damage and terrible Canker that I have seen in almost 60 years of rose growing.

Winter protection was just some wood chips over the crown.

Regards,

Charles

• alisande
    16 years ago

Well, that does it. After all, I said in my humor post ("for all you enablers") that Julia's recipe for Soup au Pistou practically changed my life. The hunt is on!

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

Ronda, I agree, this is a beautiful yellow rose. I've seen them this year at local garden centers and have been sorely tempted.

Randy

• Maureen Janda
    16 years ago

I love the appearance of mine, but, sadly, I get no scent at all from her. Still, she's a beauty.

• da_mama
    15 years ago

I bought 3 this spring at a local nursery. I really wasn't intending to buy them, but the blooms and the fragrance won me over. The ones I bought are very fragrant. When healthy, they are prolific bloomers (as floribunda are) and the color varies from a pale to a butter yellow. I don't usually prefer yellow roses, but I was struck by these.

I have had trouble with them since buying them due to bugs eating them (though not the aphids that I have trouble with in my backyard garden) and plagued with blackspot. I prefer not to spray, but am finding it difficult because of how badly they've been affected. I'm not sure what went wrong because I have a Don Juan climber very near them which has been unaffected by any of it. All my roses are so different!

Does anyone have any suggestions to improve their condition? They are in a prized location, and I hate to have them looking the worst in the garden... JC is so beautiful when healthy. I would love some organic options.

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Okay, okay, dangit! I SO do not have the time and energy for more hole digging...but if this roses is still available at our "local" nursery I am buying one for my new front bed!

Does it truly only get 26-31" as per HelpMeFind? If so the spot I had in mind would be THE perfect place for her.

• monarda_gw
    15 years ago

I love this rose. Julia herself chose it. Loved her "autobio" (her nephew compiled it from her papers). Great lady! I have mine in a self-watering pot in semi-shade and it has survived several winters outdoors. You'd think it would be too wet, but roses seem to like lots of water.