Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Could this possibly Le Vesuve? I don't think so.

sherryocala
13 years ago

I added 2 'Le Vesuve's to my garden last November only to see flowers like these this spring.

{{gwi:262867}}

{{gwi:262868}}

{{gwi:262869}}

{{gwi:262870}}

{{gwi:262871}}

{{gwi:262872}}

My LeVesuve has grown very low, horizontal & outward and shows more China characteristics in the leaves. The new roses to me are purely tea and are sending more upright canes than mine ever did - or does. The flowers on mine have never been salmony but are deep bluish pink with definite red at the bases of the petals. Even when blown mine are not this salmon pink. The flowers on the new plants are semi-double and blow very quickly, buds a depper pink but not red like mine. I don't remember seeing such bright yellow stamens on my bushes. The leaves are different, too - tougher/thicker, glossier. My LeVesuve has large straight prickles that are red. The new roses have a combination - oldest ones are hooked & fairly small, young ones are straight, bigger and yellowish and some even bend the other way a little.

It's possible, I suppose, that they are very immature and the cool weather is effecting them - though my Le Vesuve is putting out his normal flowers and has been accept for the first few way back in March. The new bushes are just so much taller - close to 2' already. It took the old one 2 years to get that tall. I have not had to stake the new bushes either. I can not find any tea roses on HMF or Vintage that look like this rose. I really don't like the characteristics of this rose - very nondescript color and few petals. Not what I wanted in these 2 prominent positions. If, however, someone recognizes it as a good rose that simply needs to mature, then that will be great. I sure hope so.

Sherry

Comments (12)

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

It doesn't look like my Le Vesuve.
    Olga

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Doesn't look like mine, either. Mine is from Vintage.

You know it almost looks like 'Marie Daly' to me. Is it fragrant?

Here is a link that might be useful: Marie Daly @ helpmefind.

• collinw
    13 years ago

Doesn't look like mine.

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

I thought it looked like Marie Daly also, but I don't think MD has any thorns. I does look like a polyantha to me, though.

Did you get it from Rose Petals? I wonder if you can narrow the field by checking the other rose offerings of the supplier?

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've had Marie Daly before. The flowers on this bush are quite a bit bigger. My first one came from Vintage, 2nd from Ashdown as the climber, and these last two I got from Angel Gardens.

Sherry

• rosyone
    13 years ago

Mme. Antoine Mari?

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rosyone, I definitely don't think it's MAM. I have her, too, and she's MUCH more beautiful than this rose. To me this rose looks like a breeding reject, sorry to say. I know that sounded awful, but...

Sherry

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Interestingly, last evening I was cleaning up Jean Bach Sisley who was/is in a really bad state with lots of dead canes and totally looking ugly, and I picked up a flower - not a typical flower for JBS - that looked exactly like my new Le Vesuve. It made me wonder if the new ones are JBS. Perhaps the weather has really knocked things out of whack, and these new roses haven't begun to show their real selves. Since they're on the north side of the house, they really haven't had as much sun as the front garden so that may be a contributing factor. But I must admit to being surprised that this nursery had this rose which seems to be pretty hard to find, so I remain skeptical.

Sherry

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    13 years ago

Does it look like Clair Matin?

{{gwi:262873}}

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    13 years ago

Sherry,

I have the exact same question about Mme d'Enfert! I have a rose whose tag says that, from Vintage, so ownroot, but she's in a pot ghetto with too much shade. I'd never let her bloom till this year.

I'd swear I was crazy and she couldn't bloom single flowers, but my Clothilde Soupert had crazy-small, much less double flowers this year.

I'm not familiar with petal count and flower-form issues in the Spring. I've never noticed such drastic changes.

**If I may tag on, is it possible that a kind-of-young Enfert in too much shade blooms with a low petal count and no cupping? Everything else fits very well for la Mme.**

Most of my very double OGRs look kind of like Noisettes this Spring! Clothilde is changing back now, btw. So weird.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think it's exactly what is happening. The cooler weather particularly at night slowed everything down. It seemed like they really wanted to bloom but just couldn't put much oomph into it.

My bushes have new buds now so we'll see what they look like with the recent heat. Keep your fingers crossed.

Sherry

• jill_perry_gw
    13 years ago

The clusters of flowers and fringing on the stipules make me think it's a polyantha rather than a tea.
    Jill