Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yardenman

Edging Plants

yardenman
9 years ago

I just can't seem to find a short long-lived perennial border plant for my 75' flowerbed border. I've tried perennial Dusty Miller, Blue Fescue (it was always just as green as the lawn grass), Berengia, Giallardia, annual Marigolds, etc.

Nothing lasts or makes a good border between lawn and flowerbed. It's "mostly sunny".

Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Dianthus? Armeria? Campanulas? Sage? Lavender? Golden Oregano? Geranium sanguineum or other small Geraniums?

Is doing 75 feet in one type of plant really what you want? How about a mix of three or four plants repeated? That way if disaster strikes you don't lose the whole lot.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I have Stokesia/Stokes aster at the edge of two part-sun beds. I like the elongated foliage that isn't bothered by pests. I would also second the dianthus with its blue/green, airy foliage. Growing along the edge of one walkway are two perennial geranium (G. sanguineum) 'Biokovo' (white flowers) as well as a lavender cultivar. All are trouble, pest & maintenance-free.

Have you tried Heuchera/coral bells or Alchemilla mollis/Lady's mantle? Heuchera is available in multiple colors ranging from butterscotch to strawberry to black and 100% trouble, pest & maintenance-free.

For a foliage contrast, I believe Japanese sedge grass is also available in different colors/forms. Stachys/lamb's ear 'Helen Von Stein' offers velvety, zero-maintenance silver foliage. It's a non-blooming variety and doesn't self-seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stachys

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I have thyme, cranberry, dianthus, campanula, and Iberis all as edging in flowerbeds. Depending how wide a space you have, other things that might work include some of the smaller Veronicas like V. 'Georgia Blue' or a shorter catmint/Nepeta variety.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I have a nice hedge of Iberis that defines a planting area. I have also had Coreopsis Nana . Sadly I had to let the Coreopsis die due to our drought.

• cecily
    9 years ago

I have nepeta 'kit kat', lambs ears and short daylilies. Bunnies ate my dianthus.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

I use creeping Phlox and passalong sedum that is about 3-4" tall and Ajuga reptans to edge my garden beds.

This post was edited by pitimpinai on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 13:38

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

If you could stand an annual, there are wonderful low-growing zinnias that come in lots of colors and bloom nonstop all summer.

Martha

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

I have dianthus planted as edging in one of my flower beds. They have filled in quickly since I planted them mid April and are blooming their heads off.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Creeping sedums, spreading sedums, I have one that forms a low growing circle. Dwarf Shasta daisy Snow Lady, dwarf daylily, alpine strawberry, false lamium Herman's Pride, coreopsis rosea, hosta, 'Golden Edger'", short salvias, s. Purple Rain has a long bloom time with deadheading. It has a relaxed habit cascading along the edge of the bed. I have my long driveway bed edged with nepeta Tiltch. After first bloom it is cut back for repeat bloom.

I use these and many of the ones others have suggested. My favorite are various dianthus, especially the mat forming ones. One variety is half an inch high and looks like a carpet of bloom with its airy one inch high blossoms.