Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john13_gw

Fragrance! Which roses do you HAVE to have?

john13
16 years ago

I have been reading on this forum that fragrance is really important to most of you. So, ... what roses, because of their fabulous fragrance, do you absolutely have to have in your garden?

I am new to roses and would like to find out your opinions.

Karen

Comments (100)

• katja1971
    16 years ago

It is so funny to read that Winchester Cathedral appears in some favorites lists. Here in Holland, where I live, I've had WC for years, and it does not have any scent at all!

My favs are:

- Sharifa Asma
    - Jude the Obscure
    - Crown Princess Margareta
    - Lady Emma Hamilton
    - Spirit of Freedom
    - Emanuel
    - Brother Cadfael
    - the Generous Gardener
    - Pat Austin
    - Gertrude Jekyl

• carla17
    16 years ago

Jude the Obscure
    Emanuel
    Mdme. de Sevigne
    Lemon Spice
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Ambridge Rose

Need more coffee to wake brain up

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

I am reviving this old thread which has some very good suggestions of fragrant roses. I was looking for Patrick (Molineux)'s list of fragrant roses which I have read many times before I started my fragrant collection but I can no longer find it on garden web. If someone has his list of fragrant roses maybe you wouldn't mind reposting it again? It's a list with a wealth of information.

Anyway here are the ones that are so consistently and strongly fragrant to my nose I can't do without:

firefighter

double delight

felicia

barbra streisand

memorial day

Frederic mistral

ebb tide

sonia Rykiel

fragrant cloud

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

Gertrude Jekyll also has an amazing fragrance but she is too stingy compared with the above list of roses for me to recommend.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

I have few fragrant roses. I do have SdlM and Souvenir de St. Anne's, but I really don't care that much for their fragrance. Bishop's Castle is wonderful. Wild Edric is quite fragrant, also Fragrant Plum, Charles Rennie McIntosh, Heirloom, Annie Laurie McDowell, Duchesse de Brabant, Aunt Margy's Rose, Blush Noisette (by reputation since I have only buds) and Belinda's Dream.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Other than some listed by fragrance, which are fragrant for me also, I have La France, an older HT and Mme Ernest Calvat, a Bourbon, which both have a heavenly fragrance. All my old garden roses are nicely fragrant. Others are English Perfume, Tiffany, Pink Peace, Chrysler Imperial, Sheila's Perfume, Perfume Delight, Grande Dame, Sunsprite, Buxom Beauty, Big Momma, Mister Lincoln, Beverly, Francis Meilland, Orchid Romance, Cinnamon Dolce and Forgotten Dreams. I can't wait for my Frederic Mistral to bloom!

• Gautam Bhattacharya
    8 years ago

I am told that the true Francis Dubrueuil is a scentless tea, now "lost" in the USA, and the current one sold under that name is a 1932 HT from Kordes, "Barcelona". Is that correct? So, all the above recommendations for FD is for the Barcelona, Kordes, 1932? Thanks for any clarification. Would like to grow it as a pot plant, along with Louis XIV, Guillot, 1859 (?), since love my Eugene d' Beauharnais, happily growing indoors in a 5 gal. pot for years, blooming well, not troubled much by disease, very fragrant. Also, love my Sweet Chariot, Memorial Day. TIA.

• sharon2079
    8 years ago

tenor_peggy I got a Francis Dubrueuil from Cool Roses in West Palm Beach. It is doing amazing - even with the heat. I did not have any fading. But it is planted to get sun only til about 1:30. He had a landcrab that I thought was going to kill it, but it was tough and survived. It smells great. I highly recommend it.

• true_blue
    8 years ago

Gautam if you have the patience, read through this [thread....[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/where-are-they-now-francis-dubreuil-and-other-mia-roses-dsvw-vd~1705818)

Or scroll down on the Barcelona page and read Kim Rupert's account.

Namaste :-)

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    8 years ago

Munstead Wood, Tamora, Oklahoma, Mr. Lincoln, Don Juan, Pink Peace have been consistently fragrant in hot, dry southern California. My Falstaffs hardly ever bloom, but when they do, they're very fragrant.

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    7 years ago

Munstead Wood has one of my favorite fragrances of roses I grow. Right after a bloom matures it's amazing. It's planted right by my entrance door, I never fail to smell it going in and out.

Mr. Lincoln, of course. Just one in a vase my wife says can be smelled through the whole first floor.

Of roses I don't own, Rose de Rescht, Reines des Violettes and Enfant de France (an HP I don't see much talked about) all have an amazingly strong scent to me. I will be planting Rose de Rescht and Reines des Violettes this spring, I can't not have them any longer.

• Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Champney's Pink Cluster, Sugar Moon, foliage of Eglantine. I have many roses which are yet to bloom in my garden. I guess my favorite is also whatever is blooming at the moment. Anything I smell from afar and have to track down.

• romogen
    7 years ago

I have grown 500+ roses and also love perfumery, these are my top favorites in descending order:

Felicite Parmentier -- costly & sweet

Fair Bianca -- complex myrrh

Professeur Emile Perrot -- pure rose

Oklahoma -- intense spicy red rose

Lady Hillingdon -- freesia

JACsegra -- citrus rose

• jardineratx
    7 years ago

I purchased a Francis Dubreuil from The Antique rose Emporium and it quickly moved to the top of my list of fragrant roses. Also, the color of the bloom is gorgeous.

Molly

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    7 years ago

romogen... I don't have any of the ones you listed.... DANGEROUS LIST OF YOURS!

Mine, absolute favourite perfumes:

Comte de Chambord

Mme Isaac Pereire

Rose de Rescht

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    7 years ago

Let me add that just because a rose hasn't shown up on this thread doesn't mean it's not fragrant: it may just not be grown much, or may not be right at the top of that gardener's favorites list. Some great smelling roses not mentioned here (that I noticed) that come immediately to mind are 'Centifolia', 'Dupontii', 'Noella Nabonnand', 'Louise Odier', 'Archduke Joseph', but I could name a dozen others without having to work at it. I grow a few hundred varieties of roses, and most of them smell really good.

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    7 years ago

Melissa, agreed, every single rose I grow is deliciously fragrant and each in its own way. For me the most perfect fragrance is Comte de Chambord's and that's the one rose I would never be without for fragrance alone. Never mind its exquisite beauty.

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    7 years ago

Where is everyone located that is growing Comte de Chambord? Paul Barden loves it in the PNW, but I am leery of growing it down here in North Carolina.

• monarda_gw
    7 years ago

Is Comte de Chambord more fragrant than Jacques Cartier? Only ask because they are often mentioned together. I have and like Jacques Cartier. Also have a band of Duchesse de Rohan coming along -- people say that is even more fragrant, but mine hasn't bloomed yet. :)

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    7 years ago

Spectrograph, I'm in Tuscany and Comte de Chambord grows beautifully here. I got my plant after seeing AMAZING old Comte Chambords growing at Villa Petraia just outside Florence. Which by the way is a marvelous garden for roses for anyone visiting Tuscany. Villa Petraia and its "neighbour" Villa Castello are free to visit, just a bit of hassle getting to, but definitely worth it. Gosh I really sound like a tour guide don't I? If anyone wants Tuscany garden tour advice, here I am!.....

monarda, for me Comte de Chambord is much more fragrant. But I still love Jacques Cartier!! :)

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Just bought 2 Rosa Moschata for their fragrance.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    7 years ago

Jude the Obscure is my favorite rose for scent and blooms!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

.......and one more: Nahema!

........and two more Intrique & MAC!

• User
    7 years ago

"Where is everyone located that is growing Comte de Chambord? Paul Barden loves it in the PNW"

Actually, after several years of respectable performance, my plant rapidly got scabby and declined over a fairly short three years and was gone. I won't grow it again.

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    7 years ago

Thanks, Paul! Are you planning to update your site, it has a pretty glowing review of Comte. I'm also re-evaluating maybe getting one, I saw someone from NE GA in a similar climate zone who said it was decent there.

• Rosefolly
    7 years ago

Comte de Chambered was a dog in my garden. And I tried it twice, ten years apart. Great rose where it is happy, no doubt, but not here. (SF Bay area)

• John (PNW zone 8)
    7 years ago

My favorite for scent: Great Maiden's Blush. Oh, that lovely Alba perfume...

• Dara McKay
    7 years ago

Climbing Renae, Baretta Street Amber.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    7 years ago

Alnwick Castle is my most addictively scented rose, mouthwatering raspberry. I can smell one open blossom from yards away. It is the only rose I have that is fragrant in bud, even before the flower opens. But the one I would most have to have is Madame Isaac Pereire.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    7 years ago

Sombreuil, Pat Austin, Lady Emma Hamilton, Perdita and Colombian Climber.

Nobody has mentioned Colombian Climber, but in my garden it is one of the best for perfume. What I like about it, is that it's perfume is always strong. Whether it is the coldest day of winter or the hottest day in summer. It flowers year round.

Daisy

• Lavender Lass
    7 years ago

William Lobb.....trust me : )

Not my picture, but this is what it looks like....and the fragrance is amazing. Here's a link with more info.

http://paulbardenroses.com/mosses/lobb.html

• Alana8aSC
    7 years ago

William has a piney scent with it's rose scent Lavander lass, atleast to my nose. Do you agree?

• Alana8aSC
    7 years ago

My favorites are, that have bloomed for me, are

kazanlik

Autumn damasks

Orpheline de Julliet,

Souviner de Brod

Golden Wings- Spicey Scent- love it!

Rose du Roi

Baroone Prevost

Granny Grimmets

I would say those are my top. But seriously I don't grow non-fragrant roses and love them all from the lightest scent to the most powerful perfume! They all have such different wonderful scents, whats not to love! From Granny Grimmets to Coffee Country to Blueberryhill. Well here is Rainbow since CC wouldn't load...

• Alana8aSC
    7 years ago

Well let me try those pictures again...

There Rainbow and coffee country..I don't know what the problem was :)

Love all my roses and there scents :)

• User
    7 years ago

If I had to pick one, it could easily be 'Konigen von Danemark'

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    7 years ago

Ebb Tide, Pretty Jessica, Annie Laurie Mc Dowell, Golden Celebration, Madame Isaac Perierre, Clementina Carbonieri.

• romogen
    7 years ago

Anna-Lyssa: The roses from my list are indeed very special and worth tracking down. I think you will like them too. Since you are unfamiliar with them, I will describe them in more detail.

Felicite Parmentier is an ancient Alba that grows to about your waist height. On its own roots it will sucker and spread to form a small thicket. It's extremely low maintenance and doesn't require much winter chill, it will flower and perform from San Diego, CA to Juneau, AK. The flowers are perfectly formed, about the size of a plum, and have a soft haunting fragrance. It's not overpowering, but delicious, and you will want to sniff a flower every chance you get. On warm days the smell perfumes the air around it; but flowering only lasts for five weeks in May. If it were only possible, I would envelop all my days in this rose's sublime beauty:

Fair Bianca is a delicate white rose from David Austin. It is not overly vigorous and is better grown grafted. It is susceptible to foliar diseases. The bush stays below three feet but produces beautifully formed flowers. The medium to strong fragrance is warm myrrh mixed with marzipan and vanilla, and upon occasion, a little bit of spice. I can't get enough of it, and thankfully, this rose repeat blooms in cycles. I have five bushes of it near different garden paths.

Professeur Emile Perrot is an ancient Damask originally collected in Persia. It is used there to make rose attar -- the rose absolute in perfumery. The strong fragrance is pure rose and nothing else. I have also grown the Bulgarian version 'Trigintipetala' and 'Kazanlik,' but have found them to be less fragrant. It forms a large once blooming shrub with unremarkable flowers, but oh the heavenly fragrance! This is THE rose to use when making candied rose petals. I got mine years ago from Vintage Gardens.

Oklahoma is one of my favorite Hybrid Teas, and I will always have it planted wherever I live. It shares the same parentage as Mr. Lincoln and Papa Meilland; however, I find its high centered urn shaped flowers superior to ML, and a much better grower than PM. While Chrysler Imperial might have a stronger fragrance, Oklahoma is still a better flower. This rose has always bloomed heavily for me with minimal care. The heavy spicy fragrance is intense, but might be overpowering for some people indoors.

Lady Hillingdon is an old Tea rose with graceful bronzed foliage and poised flowers that glow when the sunlight lights up the petals. Full disclosure, I've never grown this rose myself, but it is everywhere in California, and grows like a weed. Everblooming in mild climates, it also gets rather tall at seven feet, versus the even bigger climbing version. It is presently on my wish list because of its pleasant freesia fragrance, and freesias always remind me of melting snow. It really is unfair of me to constantly bump LH down the list for something rarer, I must find a spot for it in my garden.

JACsegra is a new Hybrid Tea I added this year. I refuse to call it by its commercial name, the same way I refuse to call Cesar Chavez as Beloved. JACsegra is a recent introduction so can be found anywhere. So far the plant is growing well, and the pin wheel centered flowers have a nice strong blended scent of citrus, jasmine, and rose.

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    7 years ago

romogen... you tempt me!!!!

Félécité Parmentier has always been on "the list" but I haven't yet indulged. I think because the "secret garden" where I want to plant all my Albas is currently home to huge mounds of dirt and stones for a "wall project" we were supposed to start this spring (and didn't!)....

The other one on your list which may now just HAVE to be on mine as well is Lady Hillingdon........ I think this grows really well here too. I saw a lovely plant in the rose garden up on the hills of Florence (where it gets HOT), and it looked really good.

Never heard of Professeur Emile Perrot!!! Must investigate....

7 years ago
    I would love if someone would come out with a line of varietal rose oils, made exclusively from say Maiden's Blush or Comte de Chambord. I'm sure they would be very costly but wouldn't it be fun to smell all the different ones!?
  • John (PNW zone 8)
    7 years ago

Anne - didn't Crabtree & Evelyn try something similar with Evelyn from David Austin? I think it's a great idea. In the middle of the winter, it's almost shocking to smell a true rose scent captured in essential oils.

• Tangles Long
    7 years ago

I think Felcite Parmentier is overrated. I have this rose for about 4 years, growing in a container, and each year, it gets dieback / cranker. I also have thrip problems in my garden. So , those buds would be destroyed by thrips before they could open. The reason why I bought this rose is because people were saying how pretty it is, and how fragrant it is. But it turned out, the blooms don't have that complexity like a Bella Donna rose or Charles de Mills (judging by the photos) where each petals are folded like a piece of art. The fragrance is not as delicious as compare to Sweet Juliet or as potent as Gertrude Jekyll. The scent on Felicite Parmentier is "icy" as in cold. I'm only keeping this rose because of the name and that it is an old garden rose.

• monarda_gw
    7 years ago

I think Felicite Parmentier would be happier in a cooler climate than mine. This year we had a long cool spring and it did the best it has ever done. If not for a heat spell it would still be blooming. The buds blasted in the several days of 90 degree heat and torrential rains that followed. The flowers do die untidily. Yesterday I dead headed and it now looks nice. It is growing up a pillar (tomato thing). The blooms are very fragrant if you sink your nose into them. I think these old roses require quite a bit of maintenance (pruning, dead heading) even during their short season. I imagine those old European gardens had plenty of old European gardeners who did nothing but keep things tidy and trim. But I think it is worth it to fuss over them a bit. It's like a party when they bloom -- like cherry-blossom time.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Purchased 9 PJP2 rose trees and their last one own root from JP's bargain sale (less than $15 per tree), I love the fragrance of this rose!

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    7 years ago

Anne - here is an interesting article about floral perfumes & what is called headspace, the fragrance emanated from the flower, which is quite different from what can be extracted from the flower itself.

https://sonomascent.wordpress.com/2009/02/20/flower-headspace-versus-floral-absolutes/

And here: http://graindemusc.blogspot.it/2010/11/its-odour-not-perfume.html 

7 years ago

Anna-Lyssa, I'm sure this is all very true, the fleeting scents we adore cannot be reproduced fully. The method of using fats to capture the scent, enfleurage, may get the closest. It would be daunting task. John, I believe Crabtree and Evelyn did do this for their "Evelyn's Rose" perfume. They apparently also use the scent in other products.

7 years ago

Reminds me of the movie, "The Story of a Murderer". ;)

• User
    7 years ago

'Konigen von Danemark' - one of the most intoxicating scents of all. Far more potent than 'Kazanlik', IMO.

• David_ in NSW Australia z8b/9a
    7 years ago

May I ask a questiuon of you Paul, Why are there not roses bred from, 'Konigen von Danemark" that we know of. I understand that 'today's' breeders don't disclose parentage.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    7 years ago

Fascinating to read in the article you linked to, Anna-Lyssa, how researchers scientifically measure the scents within and around flowers.

The variations in results referred to suggest to me that the variations that rose growers report in how they experience a particular rose's scent may not be always necessarily due to different clones of the plant or to differences in the person's capacity to smell, but to external factors too, such as regional differences, including the effect of different soils, climates and microclimates and other very specific localised conditions.

Maybe this is related to the concept of 'terroir' in wine grape growing, where the flavour of a finished single-variety wine can be greatly influenced by the soil and location in which the vines grew; even whether they were on, for example, the southern slope or the eastern flat of one particular field!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!