Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeredoctor

Gravely vs. Bad Boy vs. Snapper Pro vs. Ferris

deeredoctor
13 years ago

I would like to hear any feedback on any of these ZTR brands that you own. I am kinda researching these machines to try and make a decision on which line I want to carry.

I am leaning towards Gravely as my main line. Second would be Snapper Pro OR Bad Boy. I think Ferris is tooo expensive for the average person to want to buy. Hustler came out with the Big Dog line too, but not real crazy about them. Don't know much of the World Products ZTR's or Encore line of ztr's either.

Thank you in advance for your response.

DD

Comments (14)

• sergeant
    13 years ago

Snapper Pro and Ferris are basicly the same machine just diffrent colors
    Simplicity,Snapper PRO and Ferris are all part of the same company.
    Simplicity Bought The founding company in 1998 which became Ferris. Then in 2004 Simplicity Bought Snapper and in 2006 Briggs & Stratton Bought Simplicity so they all fall under Briggs & Stratton Outdoor Power from those 3 brands

• mssurveyor
    13 years ago

Those are all good mowers. It would be nice to know which models you are leaning toward. It would also be good to know what price range you need to be in. I've been watch them all. I'm a Bad Boy fan. Being I bought a Bad Boy Pup last year. Just got off of it an hour ago. Plan to be riding again tomorrow. I'd buy another Bad Boy. But I've been seeing some city mowers using Gravely's lately. They seem to be doing a nice job. I like looking at Ferris mowers. More like the 3100 series. Way out of my price range. There are a couple of others out there thou.

Bob Cat Mowrs,

http://www.bobcatturf.com/

and Everride Mowers,

http://everride.com/html/home/index.asp

get back with what you want in a mower, and what price range. We'll help you out!

ms

• mssurveyor
    13 years ago

Here a look at a Everride FURY!

This ain't your daddy's mower!

{{gwi:345196}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Everride FURY

• deeredoctor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all the replies so far.

Background on me. I am a experienced 25 year tech. 15 years was working for a JD Ag dealer workin lawn/garden products. SO I am a little bit biased towards the Green products. I spent various years working in the auto/heavy truck fields. I have also held a parttime commercial mowing business or two over the years, but used traditional tractors to do the job.

I opened my own lawn shop about 1 year ago. I have spent time with the Brigg's Rep talking Brigg's, Ferris and Snapper Pro. I was not interested in Snapper home type equipment.

I have also spent time with the Big Dog, Bad Boy, Gravely and Bob Cat Rep's.

I am really having some GREEN withdrawls to be honest...lol..

I have looked at nearly every brand out there. Most of the commercial crews I service equipment for are wanting to get away from the newer JD ZTR's, which I don't blame them, JD really goofed on the Z800 series.

I was just looking for real world experience, no hype etc.. just the honest truth how your machine has performed during your ownership.

Thanks,
    DD

• mssurveyor
    13 years ago

Ok! I had a feeling about you deeredoctor. I've been getting GREAT reviews about the JD 925MOD on Lawnsites.com. All the commercial mowers are loving them.

Myself. I'm a Bad Boy type of guy. I love everything about my Bad Boy Pup. It's stout, mows a goog cut, the 30 hp Kohler is plenty strong enough to push the 52 inch deck. But most of all it's easy to work on when the time comes. I can get to every part with no troubles. My only regret is I didn't get a Bad Boy Lighting with a 31 hp KAWASAKI. Now that's a mower that's easy to repair, with a strong engine, and a GREAT CUT! You're a mower man. Get on and give the Lighting a look!

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Anyone have any experience with the Diesel Option on these Mowers ! Diesel Technology is the Future of Green on Internal Combution Engine . Bio-Diesel Power Baby !

• deeredoctor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have been checking out propane, since my wifes family is in the propane business. Propane seems to be a very good option to the new alcohol fuels.

I have not spent any time researching bio-fuel engines. I know in the aviation world there are a few companies doing so. Esp in helicopters, they are trying to develop a diesel helicopter engine that is light. Turbine engines just burn too much fuel and the fuel is a very bad fire hazard to say the least. Diesel is cheap and everywhere world wide, not so with Avgas and Jet Fuel.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Deer: Propane is not cheap but is cleaner and as efficient under the right circumstances. I just like the Green Bio Diesel Theme myself . Let us know what you find Dude !

• gorper99
    13 years ago

Dont forget #1-Scag.

• gpaintjr
    13 years ago

I have the Snapper Pro 150 w/21 hp Kawasaki 48" deck.
    Personal use only. About 2 acres. 2 yr old w/ 70 hrs.
    Love this thing. If I had it to do over I would go with the seat upgrade.

• drummer_2010
    13 years ago

Let me add one more mower to the group, how about the scat freedom line about 5990.00. I have a dealer near me. The problem I am having is the Bad Boy line looks so well built and priced well 4990.00 ZR 60in at tractor supply that it is hard to pass up. I am located im se ga and the soil is very sandy. I need a heavy deck. How about repair on the Bad Boy line does tractor supply service them?

• Hugh Boykin
    7 years ago

I have tryedout 6different brands and I like the bad boy mainly because it is so easy to service. I was able to pick my engine do not like orange but it still cuts well and the blades are impregnated with titanium. They use two separate oil supplies so as to cut repair cost on the hydrolics. I have a friend that cut comcialy he is ok with JD but likes the bad boy. If I ever buy another one it will be a bad boy.

• HU-795507776
    2 years ago

Ferris ( started out as a milk machinecompany for the farmers here in central new york) designed zero turn as we know it back in the 1980’s..they were ( maybe still are ) the best made..in the late 90’s simplicity bought them out,cheapened them up a bit to make money..around 2005 china bought them( briggs and stratton) which cheapened them up a whole lot..while they are still a good mower ..you can stand on an old 80’s version and a new 2012 version and say wow what a difference…but they still are the fastest and most comfortable to be on..of all the websites that do reviews on mowers, this one here at Houzz seems to be the only one that even looked at ferris….i wouldnt buy anything but a ferris…all around i think they cut the best…i think cub cadet cuts the worst..

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996