tigerloveroses

Is this the Rosetta virus???

tigerloveroses
9 years ago

R my roses doomed???.please let me know what u think

Comments (11)

• michaelg
    9 years ago

We are probably going to need some more sharply focused images with less cluttered background. Also need to know where you live and what is the rose's name, if you have that.

Thanks
    Michael

• bobbyb123
    9 years ago

From what I see from picture provided, I would say no. It could however be sucker growth, but a better picture would be helpful.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I hope you don't mind my righting your photo. I blew it up and looked at those canes and that looks like perfectly healthy new growth to me, not Rose Rosette Disease. MANY roses have red colored new growth that gradually turns green as it matures. That new growth doesn't show any signs of distortion or hyper thorniness. Except for a little sawfly damage on the bottom left your rose looks very healthy!

• tigerloveroses
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the answers.that specific photo is not very good.its a knock out rose,and it's next to a multiflora wild rose(which I destroyed today)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I would like to see a few more photos--and from different angles. I just don't know--something doesn't look quite right to me in that photo.

At least, keep a close eye on it for the next month or so--just in case.

I hope my uneasy suspicions are misplaced!

Kate

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

Sorry to post late to this, but I was wondering how that rose bush is doing. I see things that are not right but I'm no expert. Some of my rose rosette looked a lot like that when it was just beginning. Crinkled up turn leaves, some odd shaped leaves, a lot of branching on far left. Seems like knock outs will bud at the end of the branch before side branching occurs. Hope your rose is fine and hope you kept an eye on it.

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

I think what bothers us (and you) was that the new growth stayed red a lot longer that we are accustomed to it being reddish.

FWIW, on local sick Knockouts, the sick canes are blooming out of sync with the healthy canes right now.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Yes, are the canes looking more normal at the base? Turning green with normal leaves?

• kidhorn
    9 years ago

One of the symptoms of RRD in my yard is sometimes the canes look unusually smooth and rubbery. Your canes look smooth and rubbery to me. Not a definitive symptom, but something to keep an eye on.

• tigerloveroses
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all....I panicked and pulled out that rose,and a multiflora wild rose that was growing near by..the other roses seem to be ok thank god.one thing is for sure..no more knock outs for me! Never liked them much anyway.the virus is out there though.seen a few wild roses with them.on many landscaping projects in front of malls etc,there are rows and rows of knock outs half dead.ill upload more pics tomorow

• Seeingreen
    9 years ago

Knockout's are not any more prone to catching RRD than other roses. There is just higher percentage of Knockouts planted because of their popularity. So it looks like more Knockouts come down with RRD than other roses.
    If you go to Blog talk radio and enter rosechat they have episodes on the subject...plus it's a great show if you'r a rose lover :D

This post was edited by seeingreen on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 16:33