Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jess2132000

Neat suggestions for a good light pink repeat bloom climber..

jess2132000
15 years ago

I have a arbor that I want to put a light pink rose on. Is there one that does not have many thorns that repeats well? I was looking at New Dawn but she gets almost white looking. My fence is white so would like a soft pink but not one that turns white with age.. Some thorns is ok..

Suggestions??

Comments (19)

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    15 years ago

New Dawn isn't really a climber for an arbor... It gets huge...

The lighter the pink the more likely it will pale to white with age... you might want to start with a medium pink that pales to light pink in the hot sun...

With an arbor you will want a climber with pliable canes and not stiff canes so that you can bend them over the top of the arbor...

• rosyjennifer
    15 years ago

I would consider the long cained "octopus" david Austin Roses. The problem i've found with many climbers is they get too big (New dawn is an example) or their canes are too stiff to train on an arch.

The two that I have on an arch that are very mannerly are Abraham Darby and Cymbeline. Neither is the color you want, but i'd ask over on the Old rose/david austin forum for suggestions.

Zepherine D. is fairly thornless but the repeat was poor and the color a bit too bright for that location, so I moved it to a less prominent spot in my garden.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    15 years ago

How about Viking Queen or Clair Matin? Bith are light pink but mine hold their color well.

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

I would also suggest VQ and CM---they are both wonderful.
    Lavender Lassie is also pretty but as the name suggests more lavender.
    Florence

• mexicanhat
    15 years ago

Viking Queen. Florence, don't you have some lovely photos of your VQ?

• taoseeker
    15 years ago

Hi Jess
    I really like Coral Dawn, Pink Cloud and Climbing Mme Caroline Testout. Pink Cloud can be a bit bothersome to find but the two others are easy. There is also a rose called Rosenresli that is great, but perhaps a bit too pink, though; very heatly, fragrance and hardy.

• jess2132000
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Coral Dawn looks nice.. Does she have lots of thorns? Viking Queen seems nice also but how is their rebloom? i like Lavender Lassie too but I have the Blaze Rose next to this arbor and not sure that would look very good together..

• chuck_billie
    15 years ago

Try Aloha or Heritage. Both are in the 8-10ft range, hold their color and are fragrant.

• gardenmanya
    15 years ago

Austin's James Galway was a nice well mannered pink climber for me in Colorado. Used to be cane hardy there in zone 5. Grew up to 8-10 feet. Not a lot of thorns, and kept color well even in high altitude desert. Stayed healthy, no PM or BS. Had him for five years, grew on exposed north-western corner of the house. Will try again in PA soon:)

• taoseeker
    15 years ago

Hi again Jess

Aloha gets very bushy and dense after a few years though healthy and gives lots of flowers. Has to be carefully pruned not to look messy up an arbor.

Coral Dawn is easy to train up an arbor and easy to maintain, likes lots of organic fertilizer. Is has red thorns but I would not say very thorny, there are thorns though, less than New Dawn. If your arbor is rather wide you might want to plant two plants of Coral Dawn. Lots of light fresh fragrance.

Perhaps there is a Coral Dawn growing near you so you can see it for real.

• jess2132000
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How about Coral Dawn and Compassion?? Would they work ok together??

• taoseeker
    15 years ago

They might do well together. I am trying to picture Compassion's shifting colors of pink, apricot and peach next to Coral Dawns pink shades and Compassion might outshine Coral Dawn. Compassion is a great rose, really good fragrance.

• jess2132000
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well now looking at photos of compassion and coral dawn don't think they might work here. Or would it?? Here is the location I am looking to put a black arbor (over the back gate) and need suggestion as to what climber might work here..The Blaze is climbing the shed and Golden Celebration is on the corner. Carefree Wonder is at the bottom of the picture..

{{gwi:38907}}

• taoseeker
    15 years ago

I think Coral Dawn would work, it does depend a bit upon how tall you arbor is. I would not rely on it growing more than 9 feet tal, it can but around 9 feet is common here.

• daisy735
    15 years ago

{{gwi:263243}}

I suggest good old John Cabot which grows in my z4-5., altho repeat bloom is less spectacular. --dazi

• daisy735
    15 years ago

Also have John Davis. The tough ones just don't let you down.--dazi

{{gwi:293453}}

• taoseeker
    15 years ago

Hi daisy

That is one arbor to brag about !!!! :-) Is JC fragrant?

• jess2132000
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm I like both!! Which one do I choose??? I was thinking light pink Clair Matin or John Davis.. But John Cabots nice too!! This is not easy but thanks for the great photos they really are great!! Now which one is best for my location. Can i have suggestions.. Anyone of these rebloom better then another? do they grow fairly quick or take awhile to get started??

• daisy735
    15 years ago

Thank you! No fragrance taoseeker, but even then one must be mindful of the visiting bees. That could be a real problem with a busy walk thru.