Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Unknown Yellowish Rose

remy_gw
12 years ago

Hi All,

I posted over in the Name That Rose forum, but I know many of you do not frequent there. I have an old rose that I would like IDed.

Please check out the post on the link.

Thank you for your time,

Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Post in Name That Rose Forum

Comments (32)

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

Link did not work - can you post a pic here?

Jackie

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Humm I wonder what went wrong. Ok I'll post the pics : )

I got a rose in a trade awhile ago and it finally bloomed. The woman had said it was her grandma's old yellow rose. I assumed it probably was going to be Harrison's Yellow, but it is not. The blooms have a reddish base giving the roses an apricot coloration. It just started blooming here so it is early. Hansa, my earliest started blooming a couple days ago. I also noticed the blooms close up at night.

{{gwi:283857}}

{{gwi:283858}}

{{gwi:283859}}

Thanks,
    Remy

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot about the base of the plant photo I have.
    {{gwi:249367}}

Remy

• york_rose
    12 years ago

I hope Olga happens upon this thread! She knows the early yellows well and they're her favorites.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    12 years ago

Does it have any fragrance?

I wonder if it could be a seedling of Harison's Yellow or Persian Yellow?

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

Appears to be Harrisons Yellow to me, Persian yellow is almost always fuller, though the stamens can show, they are fully cupped as well.

Also, Harrisons is far wider grown, so its more likely to be Harrisons.

I have one as well, I wouldnt call it yellowish though. I would call it full blown canary yellow type range.

You should be able to tell by the scent alone, if this is a sweet scent its harrisons, if its a offscent with a oil type mix its persians. Though I dont have persians I have smelt it, some people dont like it, I guess im ok with it, its not a very nice scent but I dont think its as disgusting as some people claim.
    Its a harbringer of late spring roses here.. one of the first, though not always the first. Ive seen a 10 x 10 monster bush of harrisons in full bloom, the scent was dramatic at that big of a stage.
    Silverkelt

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went and smelled it. To my nose, it has a faint rose scent. The roses have a pretty buttery yellow apricot color with the hint of red. Definitely nowhere near canary yellow. I do hope Olga see this.
    There is no sun to block today so I went out an took a few more pics.
    Here's a newer bloom.
    {{gwi:283860}}

Here's a older bloom becoming a pale peach pink.
    {{gwi:283861}}

Here's a couple buds.
    {{gwi:283862}}
    Remy

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

It looks like one of the Frulings to me. They have a reputation for susceptibility to blackspot, so aren't widely grown. It's definitely not Harison's Yellow.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went on Help Me Find and went through the Fruhlings, didn't see a match though they look similar. I went through the 22 pages of hybrid spinosissimas looking for a match, many do not have pics. The funny thing is the closest match was an old print of 'Marbree d'Enghien' though the red is more pronounced in the print. It has to be one of them.

Mad Gallica,
    I've waited 5 or 6 years I think to this have this bloom. It has been very healthy. If it one of them, too bad they have that reputation.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Marbree d'Enghien' Print

• lerosier3
    12 years ago

It is definitely a Pimpinellifoliae and it is one I don't have. Does it have any suckers? If so I would very much like to get one or two to plant in my garden. Mottling is a trait of spinosissimas as shown in the picture of Marbree d'Enghien.
    It could be a variety of Harison's Yellow but it doesn't look like either of my HY's. It would be nice to know the color of the hips. How tall is the bush? Is the growth upright?
    I will check the yellows in my garden, most are blooming now.

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

The nature of those stems looks just like Harrisons to me..

However, you might have a chance seedlings growing from some sort of cross.. I suppose it could happen, its happened in the past. My Fruglingsduft is spot on healthy to me btw.. ive never seen any issue with that rose, i dont grow any of the others, though thought about adding morgen in the future..

My Harrisons

{{gwi:271088}}

Silverkelt

• olga_6b
    12 years ago

Remy, Sorry I don't know this rose. It is really beautiful.
    It is way too late for early yellows that I grow to bloom now. They start blooming in April in zone 6. I think it is also too late for most spinossisimas, at least all my finished blooming almost a month ago. I have double yellow spinosissima, it looks much more double and color does not have pink or orange, just clear yellow. Harison's Yellow blooms around end on May here, so timing is right, but it does not look like HT I ever saw. I wonder if this could be a seedling of HY.
    Whatever it is, it is a beauty. If it does not get BS, it is certainly a winner. I am not big fan of HY, this looks much better to me :)
    Olga

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found the old email. This is what the lady said, "my heirloom rose which originally came from my husband's grandmother's house in Binghamton NY so it should thrive in your location. It has very fragrant double blooms about 2 inches across, very thorny stems and shoots up new growth from the ground up at least 6 feet high--then with blooms all along the stem."

Silverkelt,
    Though the color and petal count is off, it definitely has a strong resemblance.

Lerosier,
    Good to know mottling is a trait of them. There are few stems coming up out the ground, nothing straying too far away, but when that happens, I'm more than happy to send you one. It isn't very big yet. The lady sent me one stem hardly rooted so I was lucky I got the thing to live to begin with.
    It grows fountain like. Being the first bloom, I have no idea as to the hips.
    Remy

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your response Olga. I like it too. As I said, I was expecting bright yellow Harrison's Yellow blooms. So when this bloomed, I was very surprised. I think it is too pretty to be a chance seedling, but it could be.
    Remy

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

Olga, I agree, the biggest reason that people grow Harrisons Yellow at least up north is that color, to get roses in that vien is vary rare here.

But it gets to be a big sprawling bush.. with nasty thorny lax canes that are no fun to work with at all.

The blooms are tiny as well, less than 2 inches, however its not without some charm as I do like the scent and to get any yellow rose at all is a bonus ..

Now if I could grow Lady Hillingdon, I would rip this out in a second for that =P..

Silverkelt

• lerosier3
    12 years ago

It may well be Harison's Salmon. Mine has been in the ground for two years and has not bloomed. There are also some lost Harison's Yellow seedlings and sports.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I looked up Harrison's Salmon. So I did a petal count on the one good bloom I had. It had 20 petals which is too high for Harrison's Salmon which I read as 9-16. It has more blooms that will be opening so I will count some of them to see what an average is on the blooms.
    Remy

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    12 years ago

When I saw the picture you posted a few days ago, the photo jarred a vague memory of a Canadian bred spinnosisimma hybrid, but I could not remember the name of the variety it reminded me of for the life of me. This evening it came to me. I have checked the photos of the blooms and the canes for the rose Prairie Peace and this is a definite possibility IMHO. The link is below.

The rose Prairie Peace is currently only available by special order from a small Alberta nursery whose mission is to keep Robert Erskine roses in commerce and preserve them. Prairie Peace is often more appricott in colour, but the blooms can fade to yellow with salmon shades just like your photo. This is a pretty good possibility I think. If it is indeed Prairie Peace, you have a rare heiloom variety. The nursery that sells Prairie Peace is called Robert Erskine Roses and they have a website with more photos and information about that rose http://erskineroses.com/Services.html

Have a look of the photo of the bloom for Prairie Peace on the Erskine Roses website and also those on help me find including whole bush shots.

Good luck with your quest.

Cheers, Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Peace at Help Me Find Roses

• User
    12 years ago

hmmm, this looks a lot (especially around the stamens and the dentate leaf edging) like the austrian briar - R.foetida lutea....or even R.foetida persica. I am usually pretty duff at identification but I don't think this is a spin or pimpinellifolia. There is a fragrance (of sorts) which I kinda like (because there is no accounting for tastes).

• lerosier3
    12 years ago

the foetidas are pimpinellifloiae as are the spinosissimas.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I happened to go the Delaware Park Rose Garden here at the right time. Their Persian Yellow rose was blooming and I can say with absolute certainty that they are not the same rose. The color was a much brighter yellow. The scent of the rosa foetida persiana was unmistakable. It smelled very odd to me. My SIL (without letting her know about it) said it smelled like food. The leaves of my rose are also slightly smaller. Here's a pic of the Rose Garden Rose.
    {{gwi:283863}}
    You can also see this rose has black spot already!
    Remy

• york_rose
    12 years ago

I'm in no position to offer any identification assistance, but I just wanted to thank you for posting this question. The discussion has been very cool! :)

(I think it's obvious it's a part of the pimpinellifoliae, but that isn't a helpful observation.)

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

York Rose,
    Thanks. I'm so surprised that I ended up with an unknown rose. Though being it came from an old lady's home in the Binghamton area would make it more likely. It is an old community. I believe LeRosier's idea that is is Harrison's Salmon or another relative of Harrison's Yellow is correct. I wish it was a bit bigger and suckering already so I could send a piece along to Lerosier. Maybe it will beef up a bit this year, and I can get piece off it next spring.
    Remy

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi All,
    I was going through my photos from the last few weeks, and I found I had taken a pic with the rose foliage which of course reminded me of this thread. For anyone who was interested in this thread, it still disease free without spraying.
    {{gwi:283864}}
    Remy

• User
    12 years ago

Here's something else to consider. In The American Rose Annual of 1930 there is an article by Stephen Hamblin, From a Rosarian's Notebook, which includes a section titled The Case of Harison's Yellow. Hamblin raised seedlings of 'Harison's Yellow' in an effort to substantiate his hypothesis that Rosa foetida was not one of the parents of 'Harison's Yellow'. These seedlings varied a lot; the article does not indicate if they were eventually named and distributed. Perhaps your yellow rose is one of these or, given the very wide distribution of 'Harison's Yellow' in gardens, a self sown seedling of Harison's from another source.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Here's another of that general family of roses -- in a small Northern California Cemetery -- "Legacy Of Samuel Briggs No?" (There are 3 roses there, and I don't remember which number this was.)

{{gwi:283865}}

When fresh, the bloom smells EXACTLY like a freshly-opened can of linseed oil.

Jeri

• margitalbertacanada
    12 years ago

Hello Remy
    Your yellow rose is very intriguing. Can you get a photo of the blossom from the back side? Harison's Yellow has prickles on the peduncle and receptor. Persian Yellow often has red streaks on the petaloids. Your rose doesn't look like either Harison's Yellow or Persian Yellow to me. Nor is it the same as the Harison Salmon at the Devonian Garden in Alberta. For some reason I see a strong resemblance to 'Agnes'. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.12619 and http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.99689. 'Agnes' blooms are unstable and it can have fully double pale yellow blossoms and semi-double near orange blossoms at the same time. 'Agnes' has a prickly receptor as well. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.101332 Your rose blossom is very organized compared to the other Harison's Yellow type crosses I have seen. So, I am going to stick my neck out here and suggest that perhaps you have the lost rose 'Grace' which is a sibling to 'Agnes'? Your rose is a real beauty. I hope you will be able to share it.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Margit,
    I did not take any photos from behind the blooms. Next year I will. It will also be interesting to see if the blooms look the same next year.
    I'm hoping, I will have some good suckers to dig and share too. I know it is a pretty tough rose. I got the original piece with hardly any root. I was quite surprised that it lived.
    Remy

• margitalbertacanada
    12 years ago

Remy

Andre Imbeault from Quebec has been able to confirm your rose is 'Harison's Salmon'. He has one growing in his garden.

Margit

• ceebee
    12 years ago

It is beautiful....would love a cutting if you are doing that.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Margit,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact him about my rose. Your photos on HMF, which I had previously checked, looked similar, but of a different coloration. Since he actually grows it, I'm sure the color was more of a match to his rose.

CeeBee,
    In the spring, I'm hoping to be able to get some suckers up from it. We shall see :)
    Remy

• kaylah
    12 years ago

I've been kind of noticing everybody's version of H. Yellow and Persian Yellow is different. I used to grow rosa foetida lutea, which had four petals, if I remember right, which looked like hearts.
    Austrian Copper is its sport and sometimes orange and yellow flowers turn up on the same bush.
    That accounts for the red streaks and pinks that occur,too.
    Rosa foetida lutea, Austrian Copper, Persian Yellow and what I think is H. Yellow occur at old houses here a lot, being brought by the pioneers and a tough rose for Montana.
    PY should be spelled PU but HY is more pleasant. I like the smell of the species-pungent, like a marigold.
    What I've called H. Yellow definitely must have rosa foetida for a parent, according to smell, but it is more pleasant.
    Here's a photo of HY and PY, my version. PY is the darker.
    I've had no luck rooting cuttings. They rot away.

Here is a link that might be useful: