Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnny4917

Purchased Too Many Plants

Johnny4917
10 years ago

I purchased far to many perenials than I have beds for. I'm thinking about adding a row in one of my vegatable gardens until I can prepare beds for them. Will I have issues transplanting these at a later date?

Comments (12)

• mori1
    10 years ago

I can't see how that could be a problem. At an open garden/farm they had beds that had a mixture of vegetables and flowers. Looked really cool.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

What is your definition of "later date?" I planted perennials in my veg garden last year and didn't transplant until this spring. Everything did just fine. If you were planning on preparing a bed for fall planting, could you just keep them well cared for in the pots until ready?

• growlove
    10 years ago

I have sunk the pots in the ground and left them over winter and most were just fine in Spring. Mary

• lisanti07028
    10 years ago

The only issue would be if any of them are fussy about transplanting, like baptisia.

• Johnny4917
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Next Spring is what I had in mind. I recently purchased some land in the country and I'd like to start perenials beds, but I don't have any prepared. I've been checking local markdowns racks daily and buying up a variety of perenials that I used to grow. I thought if I could prepare the beds now and layer with organic matter it would have time to decompose and settle before planting.

I could try to keep them watered and plant this fall. If I could get them in the ground about 6 weeks before the first frost that might work.

Guess i should have planned better.

• Johnny4917
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

.... I think you are planning well.
    My vote is for planting them in the vegetable garden. Give them time to spread their roots and grow where there's less risk of daily water and heat stress. There's a reason nurseries mark down now, summer is a hard time for most potted, and likely root bound perennials.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Johnny4917 - perennials should do fine planted in your vegetable bed to over-winter. I grew too many perennials from seed via the winter sowing method my first year--2010--and had to sink a couple dozen gallon pots into the ground in trenches to over-winter. Didn't lose a single plant and they're all now thriving in their various beds. Mother Nature generally provides sufficient moisture, in the form or rain or snow, to keep hardy perennials alive through the cold season.

My only concern would be nursery-grown plants. It's been my experience they're nowhere near as hardy as winter sown plants.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

They'll be fine planted in the vegetable garden and moved next year (or even later, if that's the way things go). :0)

• Johnny4917
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again, thanks everyone for the information.

• Johnny4917
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Many of us have holding beds to place perennials we buy on sale or start from seed and need to hold over until spring. I use my vegetable beds to hold plants over the winter. In my zone I mulch them well to help over-winter. They generally do well. Some actually spend two years in a holding bed while I am deciding where to place them.

Plant them either in or out of their pots and keep them watered. No need to hurry through your bed preparation to get them in this fall.