Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pembroke_gw

pope john paul II-rose

pembroke
9 years ago

After the winter this rose was SLOW to come out as were many roses this year. This rose is now about 16 inches tall with spindly canes and NO blooms which is OK with me as it needed all the nourishment going to roots. The largest cane is about the size of a #2 pencil. There are a couple canes this size and the rest somewhat smaller. I have fertilized and watered diligently so far. Wondering what to do to have larger canes this coming year and maybe some blooms? Should I be doing any pruning now?All suggestions and info appreciated. Pembroke

Comments (11)

• Hrose
    9 years ago

no blooms? spindly canes? should be healthy vigorous robust plant by this time of the year. I would shovel prune it.

• Just_One_Nerve_Left
    9 years ago

I don't have this plant personally, but it is on my eventual "to-get" list. From what I have read this plant tends to be slow getting started when it is own-root, and takes the 3 seasons to really start coming to its own.

I am curious to see what the proper gardeners suggest though to encourage a stronger plant.

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

Of the roses I planted this year. PJPII is the wimpiest.
    It went through a period of fungus along with the other roses except firefighter. It is still the smallest rose, but has been producing new growth and blooms.

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

Firefighter for comparison, planted around the same time.

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

duplicate post.

This post was edited by deervssteve on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 15:17

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

I had PJPII on his own roots for several years, and he never got very big or bloomed very much. I replaced him with one grafted on Dr Huey several years ago. The grafted version has done really well for meâ¦one of my best whites for cutting, disease resistance and rain tolerance. He grows to around 4 ft tall and 3 ft wide by end of season here with big flushes every few weeks and scattered blooms in between. HereâÂÂs a partial bush shot:

{{gwi:304804}}

And a close up

{{gwi:304805}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

pembroke how old is the plant? In zone 6 it's going to take longer to mature due to your shorter growing season.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I had a grafted PJPII for several years and it was always a slow grower. Slow to start in the spring and never vigorous to grow. It bloomed infrequently with long repeat cycles. I think it's just how the variety is. It's a shame because the blooms were lovely, the fragrance was wonderful and it was a reliable opener in my humidity.

• pembroke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The plant is in it's second year. The first year had nice canes and nice blooms. I just figured this past Winter had a lot to do with it coming back so slow and not doing very well. I'll continue to water when needed and no more fertilize until next Spring. I always give my roses 3yrs to prove itself and then stays or goes. Pembroke

• blocke19
    9 years ago

Pembroke, I'm just down the freeway from you and I have 2 of this rose. They're about 4yrs old now, both are own root and are just now coming into their own. The early years were full of spindly canes and slow growth but this year they are really taking off, full of nonstop buds. They are in full sun and get fed once a month with Mills Magic mix or rosetone. I had to cut them down to about a foot tall after this winter. That said, it's not a huge rose, mine are 3x3 very full plants right now. HTH

• john_ca
    9 years ago

I have 2 own root PJP2 roses and struggle to keep them below 6 feet. Mine grew 3 feet in the first year and is now in its 4th year. They repeat quickly with large blossoms,around 4-6 inches across and with a high petal count. I live in USDA zone 9 about half way between San Francisco and Yosemite National Park in California. Roses begin to bloom here in late March to early April and continue to around the middle of December- a very long growing period. This is the best white hybrid tea that I have ever grown, and I have grown quite a few. Its a shame that it doesn't perform better in other areas as it is a truly magnificent rose here.