Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugbite_gw

Seeds to plant outside in late summer and fall

bugbite
14 years ago

Hi,

I am in northeast Florida where we had a cold winter this year (but it didn't get lower than the mid 20s here). My gauras self seeded in the fall and are doing beautifully. I want more types of seeds that I can do the same with (sow in the summer/fall). This spring (late Feb-Mar)I direct-sowed over 50 new (to me) seed varieties. I have seen some excellent sprouting but only on the easy stuff like marigolds, cosmos, zinnias, mesa yellow galliard, and good sprouting on Echinacea PowWow Wild Berry. The rest I am waiting for. The problem is that if they don't sprout and get established soon, the heat may get them.

For my 2011 garden, I only want to try seeds that I can direct sow this year in the late summer and fall.

Please, please, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

Comments (6)

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Poppies (certain kinds like rhoeas and a certain purple peony), white alyssum, possibly Bachelors Buttons, possibly anything that self seeds like echinacea, FMN, not sure about those. May be many more I don't know about.

I probably wouldn't risk much/anything I'd purchased or valued from a trade, just ones I collect seeds from.

• token28001
    14 years ago

Larkspur, nigella, poppies, shastas, rudbeckia, and some perennial salvias should be fine. I sow all these in the fall too. I've got some nice seedlings in the garden this spring. The larkspur is about a foot tall where the soil is best.

• bugbite
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I appreciate the great info.

• pippi21
    14 years ago

Tom, when you sow those seeds you listed in the Fall, what month are you talking about? Will the seeds stay dormant until Spring or do they pop through the soil before Winter begins? I've heard of planting Larkspur in the fall but none of the others. Maybe poppies. Is there a reason for doing them in the Fall? Do you also WS those seeds in winter months?

• bugbite
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pippi, I know your question was directed to Tom. But my objective is to plant the seeds early enough that they sprout and get a firm footing before winter, then last through winter. My best example is Black eyed susan. Or they may even sprout in the winter, like gaura.
    Interesting link below.
    Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: fall sowing

• token28001
    14 years ago

Pippi, in my zone, we can sow the seeds in the fall when we pull the summer blooming annuals. Disturbing the soil gives the new seeds a place to rest and germinate. I sowed mine in October, but others can sow earlier. I've had poppy and larkspur last through the winter this year, even with temperatures in the low teens for many nights and never breaking the freezing mark during the day for a week. Our first hard frost this past fall was Dec 5. So, about two months before your first frost would give you plants that should survive in your zone. This may vary with more northern zones. I also mulch with shredded leaves for the winter, only pulling them off the beds once the nighttime temps are back into the upper 20s.

Rudbeckia was self sown in the perennial bed. They've stayed small until now, as they're starting to put out new growth. By small, I mean about 2" across with several sets of leaves.

I scattered seeds all summer long too. And now, I've got seedlings popping up all over the place in those areas.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES