Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa2004

Does anyone know what either of these plants are?

lisa2004
13 years ago

I got this half price today because it's the end of the season, but the owner of the nursery thought it might be possible to winter it over. He wasn't sure. There is the plant at the top with the red flowers and the one at the bottom has the feel of a succulent. I'm so unsure that I didn't know which forum to post it on. I figured I'd start here.{{gwi:273931}}From Drop Box

Comments (17)

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

The blooming plant is cuphea a bat face type maybe Cuphea llavea 'Flamenco Rumba'. The bottom, I don't know what it is.
    Remy

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

I grew the bottom one last summer, unfortunately I can't recall it's name. If my brain recharges and I remember I'll post again.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

The bottom one looks like a vinca vine.

• mori1
    13 years ago

The bottom one looks like vinca to me too. You can plant in your zone and it will return. It will also spread so be careful.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I am pretty certain the viney one is not Vinca. The leaf shape, habit and markings look wrong and Vinca is not succulent. Also it is in a summer container sold in NY so is likely a tender annual. I am sure I have seen it before but can't remember the name. It looks like something along the lines of Dorotheanthus previously known as Mesembryanthemum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar trailing plant

• lisa2004
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I should have mentioned yesterday that the bottom plant gets little red flowers. They are closed now (most likely because it's morning). If it helps I can post a pic later when they open.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Lisa2004, the little red flowers would reinforce the id I suggested, Dorotheanthus, previously Mesembryanthemum aka Mezoo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mezoo

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Looks like flora UK is right.

Vinca vine is often used in annual containers here in MN. I keep some in my holding bed just for that purpose.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

does the link look familiar???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• lisa2004
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mezoo is definately it! Thank you Flora. Now, does anyone know if either of these can survive the winter if I bring them indoors?

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Ken - I think the red one was sorted earlier. See link.

Lisa2004 - sorry can't help with the question of keeping them going indoors. I've never grown either. If it's doable you would probably need somewhere not too hot, not too dry and with lots of light e.g. sunroom. The Mezoo looks like the sort of plant which would root easily from cuttings so you might want to try a few to increase your chances.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuphaea

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I brought a bat faced cuphea inside for the winter last fall. Won't do it again as it didn't do well even under lights and had problems with white flies. I might try taking cuttings and will collect seeds to start my own plants next spring.

I would also try cuttings of the mezoo.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

I'm glad it was id'd for you. I tried taking cuttings last year but was unsuccessful. It was however getting late and the weather was getting cool. I've found I have better success when I take cuttings of those plants I want to save if I do it while the weather is still warm and the plants are actively growing. Good luck with it.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I have tried Cupheas in my greenhouse and did not have good luck. I don't have lights but I do have heat and they didn't make it. Can't remember the specifics. I've tried more than one type.

• shadara
    13 years ago

(I know this post is a bit outdated, but here goes.)

In regards to the bottom plant:
    Yes, I believe it's a Trailing Red Mezoo plant (Dorotheanthus bellidiformis).

And yes, it can be grown indoors over the winter - or just as a house plant (for that matter).

It does tend to get a big leggy for me indoors, but chop off the trailers and under a nice grow-light it comes right back (I live in a basement). Some of it's leaves may fall off due to lack of water, over-watering, or simply just stress. Just treat it like most succulents and give it a good soaking then let it go completely dry in-between. Has worked for me.

It had flowers last year when it was on my shaded patio. No signs of the cute, little red flowers over this winter yet so I'm guessing I either need a tiny bit of fertilizer, more light, or simply just Time. We'll see.

Good luck and hope this helps whoever has this cool plant!
    ~Shadara

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Couldn't that bottom vine be Snow in the summer? From the picture it looks like it is varigated. I've never seen a varigated vinca vine but I'm not that knowledgable on vinca vines. I grew them at my former home but there were all green leaves and I can't understand why when you go to buy them at the garden centers or nurseries, the plant is so expensive, yet once they get a good start, they spread like mad.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

The bottom vine was identified as Dorotheanthus bellidiformis a while ago. The Vinca notion didn't hold up to scrutiny.

And, yes there are variegated Vincas, but this is not one of them.

Lots of plants go by the common name Snow in Summer. If you are referring to Euphorbia marginata, that's not a trailer.