Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phlogius

Indoor trees for a college student

Phlogius
9 years ago

I'll be getting an apartment this semester and I was wondering what would be a not too difficult tree to raise from a sapling/seed? I'm really interested in a couple of species right now, but I'm open to suggestions:
Acer palmatum
Firmiana simplex
Lagerstroemia 'Natchez'
Pseudocydonia sinensis
Stewartia pseudocamellia

I don't know if some of these will be able to be grown indoors, but I was wondering if there's a way. I'd like to grow it from a seed if possible however.

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what will you be using for supplemental light ????

none of those listed are low light house plants

ken

• Phlogius
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have two windows in my room and I'll be able to supplement with a growth light.

9 years ago

how big a grow light ... wattage ... it will have to be lit 16 to 24 hours per day ... will you be paying for electricity???

what direction do the windows face ...

what is the heating system.. and how will you provide proper humidity ...

what type of pots are you thinking about...

what media are you considering ...

do you already have the seed???

do or will you have a room mate who will put up with all this???

ken

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

i'd try a coffee tree. the kind that produce coffee beans. they are doable as houseplants, and quite ornamental.

if you are going to grow a tree indoors, go exotic or go home. ;^)

• User
    9 years ago

If you want an indoor tree, started from a seed, you will need something tropical (a temperate/winter cold hardy tree will be stressed out by the warm Winter temperatures indoors (has nothing to do with being 'exotic'...Acer palmatum is exotic in Guam). What about...?

Avocado tree
    Mango tree
    citrus (orange, lemon, grapefruits, pomelo etc,)
    Banana

Coffee is one I have never had such good luck with.

P.S., these are Seville/Sour oranges. For whatever reason, I have had the fastest results with these from fresh fruit.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

College students have to have an Avocado grown from a pit - it's the law isn't it? It least it was in my day.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

None of the trees listed by OP are suitable for growing indoors. They can be started from seed indoors but will need to be moved outdoors as soon as they develop a few sets of leaves and the weather is appropriate. Plants that grow outdoors in any temperate climate do not make suitable houseplants - there is simply not enough light, humidity is too low and indoor temps not conducive. Temperate plants also need a period of dormancy that cannot be achieved indoors.

Tropical or semitropical plants will make much more suitable candidates, as mentioned by several responders. And some are dead easy to grow from seed, like the avocado.

• greenthumbzdude
    9 years ago

my advice....bring with you as little as possible...this will make your life easier....less cleaning and less hauling stuff in and out....in my dorm I only had 1 weeks worth of clothing, tv, labtop, 1 blanket, 1 pillow, few towels, 1 bottle fo shampoo, and toothbrush/toothpaste....that was all it took my less than 10-20 minutes to move in and out while my other roomates took several hours to days. Also they had to clean a lot more.

• Lars
    9 years ago

Palm trees grow easily from seed - I find them in my yard all the time. I've seen coconut seedlings in the nurseries but have not tried to grow one indoors.

I've never grown an avocado indoors - only outdoors, and they still get a lot of bugs. Rubber trees do well indoors, but they are not recommended outdoors, as they will destroy sidewalks, streets, sewers, etc. and anything that gets in their way.

I grew a tamarind from seed, but that was outdoors, and so I don't know if that would work indoors, but you could try. I found the seed in some Indonesian tamarind paste that I had bought. They are pretty trees, but they also get very large.

Lars

9 years ago

at xmas time.. you ought to buy one of the disposable xmass trees they sell at bigboxsotores ... there are a myriad of different kinds.... even an herb trimmed as such

ken

• poaky1
    9 years ago

OK I will take a guess at helping. Are you in an northeastern area or a more sunny area? I would say that Norfolk Island pine, those trees at Wal-mart and other stores around Christmas time, they have short needles usually with a few light x-mas ornaments on them. They are real green not like some of the other skinny bluish green plants displayed near them. There are Ficus Benjamin trees that do great indoors, but they shed leaves sometimes, and I would love to plant if I had a ceiling window (skylight) I am sure there are lots of indoor trees available, but having a skylight is better for trees than a side window.