Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ross91_gw

Help! Sentimental Pine Needle tree sapling dieing!

Ross91
10 years ago

Hi, thank's ahead of time for those that are going to take the time to reply.

I'm 22 year's old and I don't have a lot of knowledge on how to care for young tree saplings. I tried to find a website that can help and surprisingly i couldn't. All i could find is this one. So i hope someone can help.

Around ~50 or so day's ago my mother brought home two Pine Tree saplings that usually state fairs hand out during the summer. Her intention's were to plant these two tree's in memory of my father who past away last october and my grandfather who passed away last july. We planted them kind of late. They sat in the kitchen for about a week, but i checked on them and gave them little water in the little bags they came in. When i finally had the time to properly plant them i put them in seperate pot's equal in size, about 1foot 2.5inches round and just under a foot deep. I filled it with some really good potting soil and made sure to make a deep hole in the middle like the instructions say. (I didn't know how often to water it at the time, so i just watered it every day about a bottled water's worth with a light light shade of blue of miracle grow. I later researched that pine tree saplings don't need to be fed more than 3 times a week because it drowned the roots.) For the first couple of weeks they flourished, i was really excited and planned to re-transplant these tree's someday in the yard of my home. However one pine tree flourished more than the other, by a lot. It grew to 10 inches, while the other around 7 or 8inches. The one i still have hopes for grew quite a bit and the needles grew longer. The other one seemed to stop.
It wasn't until a couple weeks ago did both saplings begin to have their needles die. Right now it's only at the bottom, about 2 inches high, and at the top i noticed the very tips of the needles are beginning to die as well.

I don't know what the problem is! I keep them in a wide opened spot so the sun is basically on it all day. If someone can please help, maybe i can save them before it get's to the point of no return. If i can i will try to take some pictures of my Pine tree saplings and post them here.

Thank's again! - Ross. Edit: Can't believe i misspelled dying. Was in a rush.

This post was edited by Ross91 on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 5:45

Comments (6)