Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vinny_75

Jacob Cline monarda With BOLTONIA AsteroidesSnowbank

vinny_75
16 years ago

I have two of Jacob Cline monarda and BOLTONIA AsteroidesSnowbank each. Since Boltonia needs to support and grows tall, I was thinking of pairing these two together on each end of my sunny perennial garden on a slope (anchor plants on the background).

IS this a wise idea? I understand Jacob needs support or droops all over. I was hoping by planting these front and back, I oculd get some support. Any advice?

Comments (10)

• rusty_blackhaw
    16 years ago

I grow both of these in nearly full sun (separate locations). 'Jacob Cline" does not need support, though 'Snowbank' definitely does.

These may not be optimal companions, since JC, while long-flowering, is pretty much petering out by the time 'Snowbank' is coming into bloom here. I have Chelone (turtlehead) serving as an underplanting for 'Snowbank' and they flower simultaneously.

• vinny_75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Folks on this board talked about Jacob Cline needing support. Also when I googled BOLTONIA, I read no need for support for this one..Are you saying its the other way?

I am confused...Can I stack them next to each other?

• leslie197
    16 years ago

My boltonia (B. asteroids Snowbank) leans quite a bit, although I don't have to stake it. I have it planted where it gets quite a bit of sun near my small shade garden, underplanted with Hellebores, mostly H. foetida seedlings.

My JC monarda is in full sun and is always very upright until it blooms. I have never even thought about it needing staking or anything. I cut it back hard after bloomtime and it regrows fresh new (shortish) foliage which stays nice the rest of the season.

Here is a picture of Snowbank's first bloom year in 2002. It is much larger now, but this is the only picture I could find. When/if it droops it doesn't much matter and still makes a pretty picture against all the deep greens.
    {{gwi:275822}}

• mikeygraz
    16 years ago

Hm...I've never really grown Monardas that much - they either die out, get powdery mildew (despite being resistant cultivars), or spread too aggressively in my gardens, so I can't say anything about Jacob Cline Monarda.

Snowbank Boltonia though, is another story. One of its claims to fame is that it does'nt require staking. I've grown it in very windy spots and it is very sturdy (as opposed to Pink Beauty, which always needs support). I've grown Snowbank in lean soils, moist, rich and poor and its always been a nice sturdy plant. The only requirement I think it needs to be sturdy is a completely full sun area.

~Mike

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

Snowbank Boltonia i have never had to stake.

• david_5311
    16 years ago

Well the diversity of answers on this question indicate that cultural conditions have everything to do with whether or not plants need support. Sure, some always do, some virtually never, but conditions of soil type, moisture, light, and wind exposure make a big difference. In my old garden, Jacob Cline was an upright plant which did not need any support (though I am not a staker/straightjacket gardener, and gentle leaning is perfectly OK with me). At the new place, with too much moisture and shade, it definitely flops. In dryish soil, Boltonia snowbank is pretty upright for me, but with irrigation tends to flop. There just is no substitute for your own garden and conditions. And one year may be different than the next.....

I personally think there are better supports for Boltonia Snowbank than any Monarda. Choosing something that has the same season of interest might be nice if you are constructing a vignette for that season. I have a stand of Sedum 'Matrona' in front of one group of Boltonia, and they look great together. Any similar sedum would do the job, and the cultural conditions are similar. Grasses of almost any type are excellent supports for floppy neighbors. Pennisetums of any type are a good size for the taller asters. I love Boltonia 'Pink Beauty', but it is even much worse as a flopper than its white cousin. I have grown that wonderful floppy plant through Calamagrostis arundinacea brachytricha, and its shimmering lavendar blooms looked great with the mauvey inflorescences of the grass. Another great scaffold plant is Molinia 'Transparent' or 'Windspiel'. The pink boltonia flowers were displayed throughout the tall flowers of the Molinia, looking like a display of fireworks.

Another great support for floppy Boltonias is one of the shorter shrubby asters. I really like Aster oblongifolius and its cultivars for this (October skies, Raydon's favorite). It is shrubby like a boxwood, and will provide contrasting color and similar season of bloom.

• nancyd
    16 years ago

For me, JC has never needed support but boltonia eventually always flops. You could also cut it back earlier in the season to keep it more in check. That does help. I wouldn't pair it with mondarda. Use other fall bloomers.

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

David, is Molinia 'Transparent' a Synonym of 'Windspiel'?

• rusty_blackhaw
    16 years ago

I cut back my Boltonia 'Snowbank' by a little more than half back in June. It still needed staking. It is in a well-drained spot and we've had a dry summer.

• david_5311
    16 years ago

'Windspiel' and 'Transparent' are very similar cvs of M. caerulea -- I'm not sure I know the difference and often one is substituted for the other. Both are excellent grasses, great for planting near the front of a border or along a path for a "see-through" effect. The scaffolding effect works well too.