Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brother_cadfael

I met a dedicated rose propagator/seller today - you should too

brother_cadfael
14 years ago

Hi all,

Some of you already know Steve from at Wisconsin Roses in Kenosha, WI.

I met him today after meeting with one of own forumers, "Greenhaven" to exchange and talk roses.

I was unable to set up an appointment with him because I didn't know what time I would get there, and our long distance phone company is strange as there are some numbers I cannot reach in local long distance. Mostly cell numbers... but anyway.

So he wasn't expecting me and when I arrived at his house the poor fellow was cutting his grass. I waited for him to finish, introduced myself as a rosenut, apologized for not making an appointment with him, and told him I was interested in 'Stretch Johnson', a shrub rose that I've wanted for some time, (but it was only available from Hortico... but I don't order from Hortico).

Steve was more than happy to help me. He even took me over to his growing field in his own truck after I offered to follow him there... he's an easy guy to make conversation with too. Once we were there I was amazed to see what an organized, clean, and healthy operation he is running.

He showed me what he had available in the variety I wanted, and let me choose which plant I wanted. He wouldn't even let me pay full price for after I insisted because I didn't have an appointment with him.

In conversation he asked me what my handle was on GW, when I told him he chuckled and said he's seen my posts on here often and he always thought I was a preacher or something... (just like everyone else around here.):^]

Just an all around great guy.

If you ever want to mail order some top notch quality bare root HT's or the occasional shrub variety or if you want to pick them up yourself - give Steve a call or shoot him an Email - you won't be disappointed.

I got a strongly rooted plant on Multiflora rootstock, very healthy, in a one gallon pot about 20" tall.

I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Also, if you like singles, ask him about the new pearlescent light pink one he will be offering in a year or two, (only one mother plant), it's gorgeous and has a strong unique scent.

Rob,

BC:)

Comments (10)

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a lovely experience for you----Thanks for sharing your story---

Can't wait to see the pictures

Florence

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    14 years ago

What a great story, BC! Sounds like the kind of place I'd love to visit and I'll keep it in mind if I get over to Wisconsin again someday. I have roses from nurseries I have visited around the country and it makes these roses special somehow to have them connected to memories of some very nice folks I met while buying them.

Anne

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

I think you too, join the ranks of the very dedicated! You went through great efforts to home your very healthy, brand-new rose-for-adoption and was willing to travel several miles for it! And I remember how everyone counted on you to help identify the Camelot mystery rose and other wonderful help you've always provided for others. I wish I lived closer to you and Greenhaven and Karl! (smiley face)

P.S. I accidentally forgot to thank you too for your advice with my potted young climbing rose--I was trying to ignore a troll-dumb-butt and was trying to name specifically "the good folks" in my thanks.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the photo of your new rose, Brother Cadfael...cheers and the new rose is a "lucky rose" too, to be in your garden..

• Terry Crawford
    14 years ago

BC, I ordered both Pink & Red Intuition from Steve this year; my first time with maidens. It was fun watching them grow.

I wasn't aware he offered bareroots. Do you remember any varieties?
    -terry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

He has some really nice cutting edge varieties I've often thought about growing. I'm just not up to messing with a maiden. I wish he'd sell in gallon containers like RU, or even bare root 1 1/2 - 2 grade. Oh well, it's nice to know that if I ever do order from him he's a reputible guy with a clean, well kept facility.

• susan4952
    14 years ago

I have added him to my nursery faves for next spring ( :

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

He usually doesn't have many bareroots, but every once in awhile. My Stephen Rulo was a bareroot from Steve. I have been growing plants from Steve for several years and he is a pleasure to do business with. Congrats on such a lovely day!

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

Well I met a really nice, smart guy, too! But it wasn't Steve...it was brothercadfael!

What a pleasure, and I am sure we could have yakked all afternoon, but we didn't want to task my husband's very serene patience! :o)

Rob gave me an amazing little shrub of Martin Frobisher(and STILL has that sucker to place,) and got a crappy little defoliated Night Owl in return, lol!

P.s., did you positively ID your Lilac Rose? Maybe I am the one with the wrong one?????

Aren't I just the queen of thread-hijacking?

• brother_cadfael
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Florence,
    Thanks for your lovely comments as always.
    I'm late again with posting the pics, it's been a busy couple of days here. Just so I don't disappoint, I didn't get pictures of his operation, just my rose plant. I would have loved to show everyone what a neat and tidy operation he has with some pictures, but I didn't feel comfortable taking any, having just met him. I'm sure he would have let me, but I didn't want him to possibly wonder what I might do with the pics.

Anne,
    Yes, come back to Wisconsin anytime, at the border just tell them Brother Cadfael sent you. If you haven't been here in awhile, I'll have to show you the secret handshake.;^D
    I know what you mean about collecting roses from around the country, I'd love to do that, but we'd never have enough room in the car when we go on trips for a rosebush.

Serenasyh,
    Thank you, thank you.
    You're welcome for whatever meager help I offered on those threads.
    Your comments make me feel as though I have a halo on my head.;^]
    Likewise, I've often posted on here about how we should start a utopian rose society, or wish that I would win one of those really big lottery jackpots so I could buy a couple thousand acres in a perfect rose environment, build us all our dream houses, help each other with our dream gardens, and build some great friendships and memories... but that's all too perfect, isn't it?:^]

Terry,
    It's funny you should mention Pink and Red Intuition; as I was touring his operation, I noticed them and told him that those were the only other HT's I am currently interested in, (I have 'Dainty Bess' and 'La France' - I used to have 200 HT's), and that I would probably order them from him next season. He said he was ALREADY sold out of those two for next season, and that he could run his business on sales of those two roses alone.

As far as the varieties he grows, stupid me, I meant to put the link to his website on my original message and I forgot. I put the link below.

Maryl,
    In your zone, I would think a maiden would do well for you. True, it may take 18 months for a maiden to be what we're used to getting, but like you said he has some great varieties.

Susan,
    That's how I remember who I want to try buying from too. (:

Diane,
    Thank you.

Shannon,
    How was your weekend getaway? Did your host look at you kind of funny when you took a 2' tall rose bush to your room?;^D Hopefully they had a pot ghetto for transient rosebushes.;^P

Your husband was a saint, he even seemed genuinely interested in what we were rambling about, and I was so happy to be talking roses with someone face to face, that I would forget to politely include him most of the time.

No, no, no, I did not get a "crappy" 'Night Owl', "in return", because the original deal was to just find a home for MF... that I did, AND I got a 'Night Owl' to boot!!! Shrewd as an arab trader I am! ;^P

Yes, it has to be 'Lilac Rose' if your specimen looks the same and has the same scent as mine. I just don't understand why he named it that. It seems the equivalent of naming a cat "Fido" if you ask me.

You are a high-jacker, but be careful how you use that word, or you'll have Homeland Security at your front door... and sniffing your roses.
    It might go something like this:

HS: Ma'am, what's the name of this rose?
    You: It's called 'Lilac Rose'.
    HS: UP AGAINST THE WALL LADY!!!, THIS ROSE IS NOT LILAC!!!
    Yep, all the evidence they need to prove you're part of a sleeper cell.:^D

It was great to meet you and Steve and I recommend that if anyone else has the chance to get together with you, that they do so.

Thanks Everyone,
    Rob
    BC:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisconsin Roses

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

OmiGAWSH I about just spit out my sandwich! ROFL!

We had a great weekend, but it was adults only...so MB had to stay in the car. He was a very good sport. Sometime by the end of the week he will have a permanent home! Somewhere!