Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diane_nj

Palatine Ordering

diane_nj 6b/7a
12 years ago

Folks, I think Palatine may be opening for ordering tomorrow, September 1. They just posted an "Event" on Facebook dated tomorrow. Rosarians, start your engines!

Comments (23)

• karenforroses
    12 years ago

Vroom! Vroom! I'm ready! Love Palatine roses - they really thrive in my zone 5 garden. The new Kordes roses Palatine is carrying are extremely disease resistant in my garden and hardy too.

• tapdogly
    12 years ago

New to growing roses (since April) and would love to get some of these famed Palatine roses too! You might be referring to shipments in the spring, but here is my question: For the roses you get from them or someone else, how do you protect them from the winter? Is it "safe" to plan them, say in October, when there is probably only one month left before the frost in where I live. I have several "bands" from Heirloom, and am keeping them in pots as I read on this forum that it is not a good idea to plant them now. Does a different rule apply to what we can get from Palatine?

Thanks!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Don't know for sure about others, but I never plant roses in the fall (I'm in Zone 6). I order in the fall for delivery in the spring. For bare roots, delivery will be in mid to late March; for potted, delivery will be late April to early May, maybe even mid-May.

I think NJ is Zone 6 also, isn't it? It will be interesting to see what other have to say about fall planting in NJ.

Kate

• michaelg
    12 years ago

Potted roses in leaf are different from dormant bareroot roses.
    Bareroot roses, such as Palatine's, are harvested in mid to late fall and kept dormant in cold storage. These are best planted in early spring, daffodil time in the North, or at mid-winter for the mildest climate zones. By early summer they become a risky proposition and may fail to break dormancy. Before the advent of cold storage, they were commonly planted in fall and kept dormant by the climate in one's garden.

Potted roses are best planted in mid-spring, after risk of hard freezes has passed, but early summer is OK. Large potted roses from the garden center can be planted later than that.

If you have bands in pots, you can either plant them out now or have a plan for maintaining the pots at temperatures between 20 and 40 degrees F from November into April. There is some risk either way. For this reason I would avoid bands in zones 7a-4 unless that's the only way to get the variety. If I need bands, I would take delivery in mid-spring and plant them out in the garden. I don't see why a rose would be happier potted than in garden soil.

• tapdogly
    12 years ago

Dublinbay -- yes, I am in Zone 6 as well.

Michaelg -- I probably would overwinter the bands in a storage room. (It does not have air condition, and should be about the same temperature as the garage.)

The varieties I got can be found elsewhere except perhaps for Louise Odier, and they are Eden, Zephrine Droulin and several Austins. The pictures on Heirloom's website are so tempting! I got them this summer, hoping that by next Spring they would be much bigger than bands from Heirloom for Spring 2012 delivery. I did plant a couple of them in the garden in June/July and so far very little growth.... :( (Don't think that this is due to inappropriate planting technqiue: I dug big holes with lots of compost. I planted 5 potted roses from a local nursery the same way and all 5 are doing great and all are bloom machines.)

Thank you both!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is no reason to have bareroots delivered in NJ for planting now. It stays too warm in NJ, they will break dormancy and start to grow. Then it will turn cold (maybe) and probably not make it through the winter. And they will be out of the warranty period from the vendor by that time. Better to leave them at Palatine (or whatever vendor) until prime planting time in Mid-March. They will be beautiful, large, plump and fresh. Order now, have delivered next year, plant, have blooms (on most) by June. In any case, even though they start taking orders in September, they won't ship until November (for our friends in warmer areas), which is definitely too late for bareroot modern roses here.

And yes, Palatine opens for ordering tomorrow (9/1) I just received an e-mail: "Summer seems to be waiving farewell to us; days are beginning to dwindle in length and the nights are getting cooler and longer once again. Here at Palatine these are signals that it is the time of the year we have been waiting for; the opening of our new rose season. The new line up of Palatine roses is available to view on line on our website www.palatineroses.com. We will start taking orders as of September 1st."

• jaxondel
    12 years ago

Hmmm . . . I just quickly perused the Palatine site. What happened with all those Kordes Freelander roses that they used to list?

The most interesting thing on the site, though, is their brand new designation for roses that have NO scent: UNSPECIFIED ROSE FRAGRANCE, they say. Now, how's THAT for a euphemism?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jaxondel, they are there, they no longer have the "Freelander" designation. For example, "Mondial Freelander" is now just "Mondial".

• karenforroses
    12 years ago

I ordered Lion's Fairy Tale, Poseidon Fairy Tale and Ascot this morning, for spring delivery. I always have wonderful results with Palatine roses. With so many nurseries going out of business I really feel fortunate to have them as a source, especially with their focus on hardy and disease resistant roses (something really important to me here in Northern MichIgan).

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

I heard through the commercial grapevine that it was Kordes who will no longer let them sell the Freelander line to non commercial gardeners. So roses that were already in commerce without the freelander designation are OK but not the newer ones. I am one very disappointed customer! But I made sure to get my order in last night before midnight here on the West coast! Red Intuition, Sunny Sky, Sweet Beauty, Alpine Sunset, Black Forest, Thanksgiving Rose, Royal City rose, Martina Mondadori, Esmeralda. Also bought my 2nd Water Lily rose to plant in a pot on my deck, because I loved my first one so much, but it kind of gets lost in my "white" bed. I lost so many old roses last winter...Time to try some new ones to plug the gaps.

• flaurabunda
    12 years ago

Whoohoooooo I just ordered mine!
    Osiria
    Martina Mondadori/Carole Bouquet
    Rainbow Niagara/Tropical Sunset/Marvelle
    Kleopatra
    Anne Henderson
    Sunstruck

Wow, March is a long time away......

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    12 years ago

I ordered three ht's this morning. I want the November shipment.
    Now all of you northerners here is how to handle fall shipments of bareroot roses. Go to a garden or flowerbed
    and dig a three foot deep trench. When the roses get there place the roses in the trench and cover them up! Place a stake at either end so you can find them next year. Then in the spring dig them up and plant them! They will be just as green as the day you buried them. I have been doing this for years. Even though you order now, if you wait till spring for delivery, they might not have one of your varieties, and your plants won't look the best.Cause I doubt they will bundle your order right then and hold it. I get mine in the fall so when they oversell a item I'll have mine!

• Merilia
    12 years ago

Looks like Pickering is also open for orders now!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have never ordered from Palatine or Pickering and not received in the spring what I ordered in the fall. I don't expect that to happen unless they suffer a crop failure, and then they won't have plants to ship in the fall either.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

After saying to myself and anyone that will listen, "no more roses" I ended up ordering roses for fall shipment too. Bad Judy!! Bad Judy!!! lol!! I love Palatine and have always had good luck with fall delivery so I hope this year isn't any diff. I mostly ordered Fairy Tale ones and Veranda ones. Have fun ordering!!! Judy

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I also said no more! 200+ roses is enough! ....but here I am with my Palantine order ready to ship to me in March! LOL I did however get quite a few that I've been looking for and haven't been able to find elsewhere. I ordered 9 ....max amount for the 25.00 shipping fee:

Pompon Veranda
    Ascot (thank you whoever suggested it a week or so ago!)
    Acropolis
    Kordes Hercules
    Mon Petit Chou
    Queen of Hearts
    Red Riding Hood
    South Africa
    Three Weddings (this is the only one I ordered that I hadn't planned on...but it looks sooo pretty on HMF!)

• the_dark_lady
    12 years ago

I also placed my order today. November delivery.
    1. Three bushes of 'Poseidon'
    2. Summer Song (I already have three of them but can not get them going, so another try:)
    3. Three Weddings (I also fell in love with this rose after I saw its pics on HMF)

So excited to get 'Poseidon'!!!! I was drooling over this rose since its introduction, when it was available in Europe only.

• elks
    12 years ago

Kordes has just cut Palatine off from selling some roses retail, in spite of their having grown them for it this year.

I have always planted bare roses, or trasplanted them, in the fall, Michael, and never lost a one. My soil is clay, and it is mud in spring, but friable in fall. Many of my friends do the same. The roses root in the fall before the freeze and seem to take off in spring when the soil warms. Just plant the bud union 2 to 4" below grade. My two cents worth.

Steve

• michaelg
    12 years ago

elks--

People in US zones 8-6, including me, have sometimes had trouble with fall-planted bareroots because our winters are not always solid enough to maintain dormancy. Once I lost about half of a substantial planting (15) done at the end of November when roses normally go dormant here. The roses grew out strongly during December and were frozen back repeatedly, exhausting the plants and leading to canker killing the bud unions, which were slightly buried.

This does not always happen, of course. However, there is no sense taking the risk. I try to prepare the soil and open holes in fall for spring planting to avoid the problem of wet soil you correctly identify.

• lesmc
    12 years ago

Coming in March 2012....Broceliande, Poseidon and Red Intuition! I have absolutely no idea where I will put them. My garden is packed, but....I`ll figure it out. I always do!!! It is 102 here today. This summer has been such a disappointment due to heat and no rain, but I am hopeful for a beautiful fall. I love my roses so much. I will not get down. Love Palatine bareroots. They do great here.

• elks
    12 years ago

Michael,

Thanks for the information--- just shows how careful one must be when making a recommendation concerning another zone.

Cheers,

Steve

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

When did this change (no fall shipping; order opening date pushed back substantially, till after grading)?

I just saw this now:

Question and Answer for Garden roses - Mail order and pick up.

If a rose is sold out when will it be available again?

We only sell what we grow. As we are in Ontario, Canada we have one harvest a year and thus one inventory a year to draw from. Our inventory gets harvested and graded in late October. Once grading is complete we start taking order - December 6, 2021.

When is the best time to place my order?

We start accepting orders for December 6, 2021 9:00 AM EST.

When do you ship your roses?

We ship our bare root roses in March and April.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

And whatever happened to michaelg?