Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melva_gw

Village Maid

melva
15 years ago

Can any one tell me about this rose? I have one arriving today...I have always admired the flowers. Some of the Gallicas, do fine for me...some don't. I hope this one is one that will thrive...

Comments (11)

• melva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the band that I got...
    {{gwi:317383}}

• melissa_thefarm
    15 years ago

I don't know whether we're thinking about the same rose. My 'Village Maid' is also called 'Centifolia Variegata'. It's a handsome, thorny, sprawling, thrifty, healthy plant with palely striped blooms, very pretty! I like this rose. It roots nicely from cuttings.

Melissa

• cincy_city_garden
    15 years ago

Mine was sold as a centifolia; I looked on HMF and it says "centifolia/gallica"..huh? Now I'm confused. I bought it to fill the "centifolia" slot in my garden...do I have to buy Fantin Latour now :)?

FWIW, my VM was planted as a band (teeny like yours) in the Spring, it's now about 3-4 feet tall with floppy canes, hoping for some bloom next year.

Eric

• melva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    Yours is the same rose..it has many names and Village Maid, is just one of them.
    Eric, where do you have it planted? Does it get much shade?

• patriciae_gw
    15 years ago

Start researching 'Village Maid' and it will give you a headache. Centifolia variegata is often called VM-it should be the pale striped one relatively thorny with typical Cent foliage which is thinner than Gallica and more rounded and toothy. Most people agree that this would be Cottage maid. Village Maid-La Rubanée-the Gallica Version should have a mixture of white, lilac and pale crimson..Which is all straight forward till you find out there are other roses sometimes called Cottage maid and Village maid. I got into this because I saw a charming rose called Cottage maid that I wanted..rather than stealing a cutting I thought I would just buy one-oh me.....

patricia

• cincy_city_garden
    15 years ago

Hi Melva,

Mine is planted in front of a climber I have going on a North/South fence. It gets sun from morning until late afternoon (4 to 5ish?). Good luck with yours.

Eric

• melva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I used to have a rose, that was named Unique Panachee and the flowers sure looked like Village Maid.
    Thanks Eric, I think mine is going to go in a bed that has about the same exposure.

• melva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is what I got...
    R. centifolia variegata (Village Maid) it is from Rogue Valley

• melissa_thefarm
    15 years ago

Mine is the Centifolia, and exactly as Celeste describes it. It went through a four month drought, full sun, constant wind, heavy soil, with no difficulty this year, plus a warm winter preceding. I imagine this is good news for a Texan.

Melissa

• melva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes it is..thank you Melissa!