Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

Has anyone seen the Austin, Summer Song

carla17
16 years ago

Oh my gosh, if you go to the desert, Andrea has posted some killer photos of this beauty. I'm trying ruthlessly to find one.

Carla

Comments (22)

• jumbojimmy
    16 years ago

It's a new release for us this year, and already sold out in the mail oder. I didn't order it because somehow the flowers reminded me of Pat Austin but a bit darker color. Just recently, someone added some photos of summer song in HMF rose website, and so far I like what I see.

Windermere - another Austin's new release also sold out quickly too. I couldn't find any information on Windermere in HMF rose website that's why I didn't order it.

Any feedbacks on those 2 roses would be greatly appreaciated.

Carla I couldn't find the photos you were saying about the "desert"?

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jimmy, I did not know you worked at a nursery. If you know where I can get it next spring, please tell me.

Carla

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jimmy, go to desertratrose.com./roseforum/viewtopic.php?t=3896

I hope this works, let me know

Carla

• mauirose
    16 years ago

I found summer song in the rose library at Ashdown, maybe they will be offering it this spring?

• wanttogarden
    16 years ago

You can find Windermere at J& P website.

• jumbojimmy
    16 years ago

Carla - thank u for the website. Wow, I missed the Jackpot! SummerSong indeed looks gorgeous in those photos. I know I should have order it last mail order.

No I don't work in a nursery. I was referring to some nurseries may have SUmmerSong via mail-order.

It's Spring here. And the roses are torturing me right now. I'm still waiting for the flowers to emerge so that I can smell them. My roses have been "bare" since Mid June, July, and August. Most likely they will be flowering again in late September. I can understand what Tivoli_rose meant by the question, "are roses worth growing?"

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

It seems odd to me, it should have been introduced in the US this year. Sounds like a production problem.

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Diane, I noticed Tea Clipper is in the newsletter as being a new one.
    I've written two places about the Summer Song.

Carla

• carolezone7b
    16 years ago

Carla,

Ashdown is planning on having Summer Song available this spring. The "wish list" fuction on their website isn't working well but if you email them they will add it to your "wish list". I did that and plan on having Summer Song in my garden this spring.

Carole

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

Carla ... I hope you will be able to get a plant soon. Since I live in Europe I have the chance to get Austins earlier than in USA. Summer Song really is an almost unfading orange. (would look spectacular next to Pat Austin!! ). It has a strong fruity rose scent! So to ease your cravings a bit :-) here a few pictures taken yesterday:

{{gwi:217788}}

{{gwi:329238}}

• jumbojimmy
    16 years ago

Stunningly beautiful, cupshaped_roses. Were you the one who also have "Claire Austin" ? I'm so eager to see "Claire Austin" and how she performs.

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cupshaped, thank you so much for the beautiful pictures! I am certainly smitten with this one.

Thanks again,
    Carla

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    16 years ago

Cupshaped, those are quite pretty. Might you also have Claire Austin, Munstead Wood, or Lady Emma Hamilton? If so, could you please comment on them and post some pictures for us to drool over?

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

When I saw this post I knew I had to go out and take some pictures so you could see what the rose looked like. Boy I would hate to wait for the new introductions...I want to try almost all of them to see what they look like and how they perform and not least smell the different fragrances.

Yes I did post pictures of Claire Austin and Munstead Wood since I drove to Albrighton when I was in England/Wales in may and got a potted plant of each.

Claire Austin are doing good, but sure did not like the cold rainy summer we have had this year (many flowers just rotted). It seems to be a vigorous rose, like Heritage but is more compact in growth habit. It has had good disease resistance and a strong sweet honey like rose fragrance:

{{gwi:329239}}

Munstead Wood looks almost like the Austin Rose Tradescant, but the flowers are not so dark. It is however a bit more vigorous and have a more upright growth habit. It has many buds right now but the flowers do not look so good since it has been raining almost 4-5 days every week. Disease resitance has been excellent. The fragrance is very nice .. similar to William Shakespeare 2000:

{{gwi:329240}}

I am going to get 3 more of each plant since I plant Austins in groups of 3 to form a really impressive bush.

I posted some pictures of both Summer Song And Lady Emma Hamilton yesterday in the Antique roses gallery. Lady Emma Hamilton is a strange roses since the leaves and buds(sepals) are so dark!!! almost blackish green and brown: I was also surprised that it was not darker, I had expected a more warm apricot colour, but mine have the almost the same colour as Jude The Obcure, but are pale pink on the outer petals. Fragrance is similiar to Jude the Obscure, but it is not as strong:

{{gwi:226388}}

Hope that gave you a tasters test and something to look forward to when they become more available in USA/ Australia.

I have planted Summer Song in a new border along with lady Emma Hamilton, Pat Austin, And golden Celebration. with various hot coloured perennials, bulbs and annuals.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    16 years ago

Thank you very much for these pictures. I appreciate the efforts. Your comments are quite interesting. Perhaps Claire Austin and Munstead Wood will like the warmer climate where I am rather than a cool, damp coastal climate. We will see.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

I'm waiting very impatiently for Munstead Wood. I love the color. I added Tea Clipper to my wish list at Ashdown by emailing them. Summer Song looks very pretty too but I have trouble mixing oranges in with my other roses. Thanks for all the pictures to drool over.

• moodyblue
    16 years ago

Cupshape, how many roses do you have?? Looked at your page, it seemed phenominal. I did not count them all however, am very impressed with your rose choices and I am sure your garden is incredibly spectacular. Wonderful pictures here of Summer Song. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Pauline - Vancouver Island

• jumbojimmy
    16 years ago

cupshape -I would love to see your rose garden. I hope you can post some photos here.

The roses are torturing me at the moment. I can't wait for mine to bloom. I went to a nearby Botanical garden to see the roses but was disappointed that they were dormant.

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really like Munstead Wood too. Thanks again for the photos!

Carla

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

the_bustopher: I am sure they are going to better in your area. They definitely also are going to get bigger!!! Most Austins I see in America are 2-3 times as big as over here. Disease resistance may be a little different though. That brings me to Paulines and Jimmys question:

I grow about 175 different roses/ 650 roses totally since I have more than one plant of many of them. I grow about 500 of those in my cutting garden/former vegetable garden. And I have about 150 roses growing in 6 different areas around/and even on my house! If my roses grew to the size they can grow in your climate I would definitely not have room for all those roses. The cold winters and the lower amount of sunlight this far north ( latitude 41 N) limit the size of many roses. Sometimes this is an advantage.

As for pictures of my garden areas see link below to my pictures on HMF.

Summer Song with its bright orange colour is hard to fit into many gardens. But it will go well next Pat Austin and Lady Emma Hamilton and Golden Celebration. Jubilee Celebration and Chippendale(Tantau) or Apricot coloured roses like: Grace, Sweet Juliet,Carding Mill or Evelyn, will help smooth out the transition between these stronger warm colours since they have more pink in them. Plant day lilies and other perennials and annuals with warm colours to create tone-in tone harmony (and blue for contrast!!!)in front and in between.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cupshaped´s/Niels´garden pictures on HMF

• RosariumRob
    16 years ago

Wow, that Summer Song looks great. I've been eyeing that one since it was released. Now I hope I can get it from a local nursery soon.

How does it compare with Chippendale? This rose also interests me. Is one clearly better than the other or should I try to get them both?

Rob

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love your garden pictures cup. Thanks for sending the link.

Carla