Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

When do I bloom?

Hi again folks, I have another greenhorn question for you all. I am wondering if folks can tell me when their once bloomers bloom. I want to incorporate a bunch of them into my gardens but am having problems finding out when each blooms. I would like to put 3 or 4 together in a garden having at least one in bloom all the time, or close as possible. While I might be naive not knowing that most bloom in the spring but the 3 local once bloomers I know of all bloom at different times.

I understand things might be slightly different in my gardens but as a generalization do some classes start first and are there ones, for you, within a class that tend to bloom differently? Bloom duration would also be of benefit.

If it helps these are the ones I am considering. I am very open to changing them to accomplish my goal. As well if they bloom at the same time I want to make sure I have a complimenting color scheme.

HF - Harrisons Yellow
Alba - Maxima, Maidens Blush, * Belle Amour
Gallica - Duchess de Motebello, * Tuscany Superb
Cent. - The Bishop
Moss - Marie de Blois, Deuil de Paul Fontaine
Setigera - * Erinnerung an Brod

The * indicate plants I have already on order.

Ya'll are the best :)

SCG

Comments (12)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I don't have any of these but I can tell you that when your roses bloom has to do with your weather conditions and may differ some from year to year on all of them.

In general most once bloomers will bloom in late spring/early summer. Though they only bloom once they do bloom over a longer period of time. If your other roses begin blooming in the beginning of June the once bloomers will probably start 3 to 4 weeks later around the end of June.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the speedy reply. I am aware that things could be different with my zone, rose location and all but I was hoping there would be a general rule. Something like my gallica's start first then followed by Alba's two weeks later BUT my tuscany tends to be always behind by 2-3 weeks...if you get my drift.

Thanks again and hope your not having a white day like we are here :)

SCG

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

The earliest once bloomers are the Chinese yellows - R. hugonis, R. primula, R. xanthina - and associated roses. Here, they can start as much as six weeks before the main season once bloomers. The earliest rose on that list is going to be Harison's Yellow. It starts a couple of weeks after the really early yellows, and ends about when the main season starts. The rest, as far as I know, are main season bloomers, but Setigera hybrids often start late.

Some gallicas and damasks (Ispahan) behave like rebloomers with a very short break between bloom cycles. The result is a once bloomer with a long bloom time. This can last twice as long as an alba bloom.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

It is totally dependent on climate, as is which kinds of once bloomers you can grow at all. Mad_gallica's advice is probably your best bet, as being from a similar climate.

Just to illustrate my point, and for your amusement, in my climate in No Cal I cannot grow any of the types of roses you mention at all (not enough winter chill). We do have tons of once bloomers, but they are all mostly the asian roses that like warm weather (and hate winter chill) like the banksias and hybrid giganticas. Mine start blooming in Jan/Feb, and keep it up for at least 6 weeks. The repeat bloomers start later (except for those which have never stopped).

Jackie

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mad_gallica, Again, good information. After reading your post I am thinking my question should have been more along the lines of 'Which once bloomers start early and late, for you'. Especially since it appears the early to mid season are the easiest to find. This post was prompted by the 3 once bloomers in the area and my ignorance. They bloomed early, mid and late summer this year and I was hoping there was classes or types that are 'normal' to bloom at these times.... your advice is again appreciated.

Jacqueline3, I was unaware you couldn't grow any of the mentioned classes in your zone, how interesting. Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me.

SCG

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mad_gallica, that is exactly what I was looking for in terms of when classes start. Thank you very much for taking the time. I love the once bloomers but would hate to have one huge hurrah then nothing for the rest of the year. Thanks to you I feel confident I can balance them for the whole season.

If Lynnette reads this it is YOUR fault for making me take a second look at the once bloomers. I had talked myself out of them. No thanks to your fabulous pictures yesterday, you enabler you!! *smile*

SCG

• rinaldo
    10 years ago

The Bishop is also an fairly early bloomer for me.

Original Author
    10 years ago

rinaldo, thanks!! That helps a lot, now to find a late bloomer in that color scheme :-)

SCG

• User
    6 years ago

This is a great thread and many thanks to Alana who alerted me to it. My climate here in Tuscany, Italy (about a zone 8) is so different from that of the OP, but still I find the info very helpful.

• Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

Your so very Welcome! I enjoy reading old threads, along with the new, so I have a bunch saved. A lot of the great pictures they had are now gone, but they are still full of valuable information!

• Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN)
    6 years ago

This is great info! Now I want to look into adding R. xanthina to my fruit garden (Rumor has it they have hips that taste like apples), as well as maybe R. primula.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm