Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thenetdude

Help Identify this Tree and Disease?

thenetdude
11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to gardening and just discovered that one of the trees next to our sidewalk seems to be severely affected by a disease of some kind. The tree was planted by the previous owners of the house so I have no idea what it is... maybe someone here could help identify it? I looked at some websites and my guess is that it's a Dogwood but can't be sure.

Attached is a picture of one of the leaves with a purple splotch on it, other leaves also have purple/black 'bruises' on their tips and edges. On the underside of the leaves, the bruises look like decaying blisters - so disturbing to look at that I took a picture but decided not to post it here.

Any help identifying the tree and/or it's disease would be appreciated!! Thanks a lot!

Comments (8)

• thenetdude
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here is a picture of the tree...

• gardenapprentice
    11 years ago

First It is a Bradford Pear Tree, It looks like leaf scorch, due to the dry-hot year, just do regular watering, next year try to water regularly. But it dosent seem bad, but I'd reccomend you get a Dogwood tree (cornus Florida. Bradford are weak wooded and can be prone to multiple branches being ripped off from a severe wind storm, and they stink when they flower.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey ruby.. welcome to GW ...

we like to teach .. so come back often ...

i am relying on the prior ID ...

you will probably get a lot of abuse as to the prior owner choice of plants ... if you use the GW search function.. you might find a couple hundred posts about how bad these trees are ...

that said 2 things..

first.. its fall .. the leaves will be gone within a month or so.. IGNORE this COSMETIC problem ... as noted.. it comes and goes based on weather.. and ma natures whims.. it is NOT something you treat.. nor worry about ... especially on this aggressive weed ..

second ... you already have a tree that is not structurally sound.. due to the fact that it is multi leaders low to the ground.. and it appear to be growing away from i am going to presume is shade.. its leaning to the right significantly .. which is going to make the above structural problems happen even faster..

perhaps a pic from a bit further back will give us a better idea of what is going on ...

that said.. got anything else you need opinions on.. i am full of such today .. lol .. [though some may suggest i am full of something else.. lol]

welcome

ken

• eahamel
    11 years ago

That's a really nice hydrangea in the background! That said, I won't join the chorus telling you how bad Bradford pears are. Honest promise, I won't do that...

• Cher
    11 years ago

I'm with you eahamel, every time I open this thread my eye is drawn to that beautiful Hydrangea.
    Cher

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

First, Pyrus calleryana is much less of issue in the PNW than it is elsewhere in the country, certainly with regards to invasiveness......but still not a great tree. Much less inclined to damage here simply because of our more unique climate issues. And they are also often used as street trees. I will remark that what you are seeing is not a serious disease. These trees are sometimes prone to a fungal leaf spot and our exceedingly wet spring encouraged all manner of fungal issues, most of which are NBD.

And don't plant Cornus florida here either - much too prone to dogwood anthracnose, as are our native dogwoods. Pick a hybrid or a Korean dogwood, Cornus kousa, which are far more resistant.

ps - hydrangeas grow like weeds in the NW :-) And most are in full show right now.

• famartin
    11 years ago

In a land where they get significant snow, ice and/or wind, Bradford/Callery Pears are BAD news. Plus, in many areas they are invasive. The PacNW is probably protected from most snow, ice and wind, and I'll have to take gardengal48's comment about their decreased invasiveness on her word. If you are in the valleys of western WA/OR the tree probably won't be prone to damage... but if you're east of the Cascades or in/near the Columbia Gorge, I'd be worried about snow and or ice damage in winter causing the tree to split.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i figured gal might have such opinion..

but its still leaning .. and growing in one direction .. thought that may simply have been specimen selection

but i still want to know why ... could we see a wider angle shot to see it more completely???

and.. BTW.. forget about leaf damage in what is now late fall.. simply presume.. its part of the function of the tree shutting down the leaf process ... just before it sheds all the leaves.. presuming its deciduous, of course..

ken