Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Tree recommendations for light shade (camellia friendly)

Bama_Joe
9 years ago

Hi folks! I have a south facing backyard in zone 7 in North Alabama and had some young Autumn Blaze maples planted in the spring, which are being replaced due to sun scorch. I've been hunting around and found the autumn blaze and October glorying, although beautiful, may have too shallow roots (as do camellias ...compete with each other?), but more importantly, may create too much shade. Anyone have recommendations regarding trees that may be a better fit? I currently have two sawtooth oaks at the back edge of my yard, but will not cast shade on the area I wish to use. A local garden center guy recommended oaks and said maples should be fine, but have my reservations regarding the young man's opinion. Thanks in advance.

Joe

This post was edited by Bama_Joe on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 19:56

Comments (10)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Usually pines, like loblolly, are a good match with camellias. They don't cast such a dense shade.

Or, how about live oak?

Don't know how much room you have width-wise or how tall you want it to be. Evergreen or deciduous?

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm looking for something deciduous, live oak is absolutely huge and too big. I'd like something either the size of the October glory or smaller.

My backyard is 80 feet deep and 110 feet wide. The yard is south facing and the east maple is approximately 15 feet from the closest tpost. That was a blueberry patch, but already pulled the plants and will be pulling the t posts and fencing once the puller arrives. The porch sides are coming down as well, since I want to set out my hammock with the pups and enjoy being outside and watching birds, butterflies and whatever else shows up. I'm excited about it, since I could really feel the breeze after pulling the screening down.

If I needed to go with something smaller and closer to the porch, that's something I'd mull over as well. I just would like to have camellias and some other things that work well with them.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the portion closer to the house.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

It seeds a bit (but, in my soil, what doesn't?) but I've been very happy with the growth rate and fortitude of Ulmus parvifolia. Doesn't seem like it will cast super dense shade. Avoid the evergreen forms if that isn't what you want.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 17:13

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I checked it out and it seems to have a problem with surface roots. My landscaper gave me an address of someone who had some seven year old specimens and were fairly good size. I do not want to run into problems with the tree competing with my other shrubs for water and nutrients.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Davidrt - Did more research and found they are shrub friendly. Just emailed the landscaper and going with 2 Chinese Elms, ulmus parvifolia (sent him that name). Thanks for helping me reconsider that tree!

Joe

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wanted to add a bit, the semi - evergreen is not the same look as the deciduous Chinese elm. There is no quick spreading and does not have the weeping look. Nowhere near as wide either, 30 feet vs 40-50 for the evergreen.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Joe, good luck. You can't get something for nothing; I'd hazard a guess quite a few fast growing trees have surface roots. They couldn't possibly be worse than a large maple. But I guess your research showed other factors are involved too: how difficult those roots are to avoid, how easy they are to cut, and how much water they steal. I have now planted a couple rhodies under mine and haven't even seen a root much less had to fight with one.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Love the Pooch, we used to have a Shepherd wolf hybrid named Rebel.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, poaky. He's a ham and love him a lot. It was nice having him around when my dad passed away.

BTW, still trying to make a decision. I had myself talked into October glorys, but think they may provide shade that is too dense. Anyone want to try me with a suggestion! At this point, I'm considering even smaller trees if it means having the proper shade for Camellia Japonicas, etc. Tore down the blueberries, the wire fence and all the porch siding (water damaged). Now I have a porch with a full Field of view and can hammock away.