Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Off topic: What our weather is like here now

kentstar
13 years ago

Just half of what's to come tonight! Good for the roses though :)

{{gwi:346918}}

{{gwi:346919}}

{{gwi:346920}}

He's got a new mustache and hair lol

{{gwi:346921}}

Comments (17)

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

WOW! I am in zone 5, in Northern AZ. We are having a warm, dry season, a La Nina pattern, I believe. My husband and I were just sitting outside having coffee; it's 50F at 10:00 am. It'll get down into the 20's though, overnight. We often have 30-40 degree night/day swings. Nice in a way, but I'll have to water all winter long, a real chore with the hoses freezing each night.
    I envy your moisture and snow blanket, but not your having to go out in it! Now if you can stay in and drink hot coco by the fire all week long.....
    It is so clean and beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses, Color, and Light

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Your birdhouse is adorable!

We had a good rain last night, lightning and thunder and then it poured. Any rain here is like Christmas morning to a five-year-old: pure joy.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hoovb, I would have never thought of rain as Christmas morning (unless it was mid summer and my plants were thirsty) lol! Good for you! You probably needed the rain right?

Sandra, where in Northern AZ are you? I've been to Pheonix and up in Flagstaff. What a major difference between the two! Pheonix was hot and desert-like, and Flagstaff was all pinyon pines and snow! (I went in January a few years ago). I absolutely loved Flagstaff! The smell of the pines was awesome :)

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Kenstar, Flagstaff is beautiful, as is IMO, all of Arizona. Such variety! We am almost 200 miles NE of Flagstaff, in the 4 corners area, near Canyon de Chelly. Very different climate from both Phoenix and Flagstaff. You can see photos of our area on my blog. It is very beautiful here, too; a challenging place to garden, but, we love it!
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses, Color, and Light

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

Sigh, I forgot what snow looks like:-(. I am busy shoveling leaves right now..

Masha

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sandra your gardens are absolutley lovely!
    I especially love the birdbath, the allium area, and Jude! Beautiful. Looks like you've done one heck of a job :)
    Wish I could smother my nose in a rose right now lol!

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

Brrrrr, snow!

After a couple of mid-70 degree days, we finally got a little cool spell and the high today was mid-50's. It's supposed to slowly warm up throughout the week, I think. I have some new roses to plant, but am waiting for at least mid-60's before I go out, because I'm such a wimp when it comes to cold weather!

I do wish we would get rain here, though. We have had too little this summer and fall. The lakes are low, and while that is not unusual in the summer, generally by fall they are overflowing again.

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

I sure don't want snow. But we've been threatened with it a couple times in the last week or more. Been raining and cold. The sun actually popped out for a few minutes this afternoon, but I think we're supposed to get more rain again. The winds were really bad last night. I'm already ready for spring to arrive. I hate winter.

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Thank you, kenstar. We really enjoy having a garden. And roses are our favorites.
    Warm thoughts, everyone! Spring WILL be here one day! It has come every year so far, at least, despite seeming evidence to the contrary. :)
    Sandra

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

We have only received 1/2" of snow here this winter so far. Not much to speak about... lol
    Yes Kenstar, that snow of yours is good for the roses. lol
    I like the bird-house also Kenstar.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just wait a while Jim lol, that BIG nor'easterner is coming early next week! I know, we are supposed to get another round at least as big if not bigger than the last one on Monday!

• york_rose
    13 years ago

In my part of the Boston area we're getting cold weather this week (high's in the low-mid 30's, which is kinda cold for this time of year, but it happens sometimes), but we're supposed to get rain on Sunday after a warmup on Saturday (highs in mid 40's). No snow predicted for at least two weeks as of now.

• k.anderson3454
    13 years ago

Nice pictures.:)

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

It has been cold here with variable temperatures, but it has been too dry. We have not had any rain in 22 days now, and little, if any, is in sight. Fall was dry also. I am concerned about the soil moisture level being too low and the temperatures too low to be able to water. The winter storms that go through seem to organize east of us and hit the other side of the state by St. Louis.

• saldut
    13 years ago

Here in St Pete, Fla we have been cool, in the mid-40s at night and 60s days and sunny, but so far no freeze where I live... but just 50 miles north they were down to 18 overnight, and east of Tampa they are worried abt. the strawberries, they run the sprinklers all night if frost is forecast, stay up all night watching the thermometer....... they have the Strawberry Festival coming up in March and have to have tons of berries ! The main plants I worry abt. are my Orchids, I take them down out of the Guava tree and pile them in a wagon and cover them at night...... looks like we're going to have another cold winter here, like last winter, in Jan. we had several weeks of freezing temps at night and everything tender has to be covered with old sheets and blankets at night. sally

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I lived in Bradenton and Sarasota for a few years myself. I remember the Strawberry Festival, yum!
    I also remember the first year I got to Florida it was so cold that I could see my breath! That was winter of "95. I can't believe it's been that long ago now that I look at the year lol! Love St Pete too.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

WE got a couple inches of snow here today.