Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idixierose

Own-root climbing HT -- how well do they do?

idixierose
16 years ago

Has anyone grown an own root climbing form of a hybrid tea?

Which varieties are good performers in your garden?

How many years did it take for it to develop into a decent size climber, say with three or four 5 to 6' canes?

Did you grow it from a cutting you took or did you buy it from a nursery?

Comments (14)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    16 years ago

Unless I am mistaken, all roses from Heirloom are own root. I have 2 climbers I got from them, Peach Silk and Kiss of Desire. I grew them from tiny bands. I nurtured them carefully, they are now growing on an arbor and should really come into their own this spring. I think they will be 3 yrs. old this spring. I have been very pleased with them. Chamblees roses has now gone to all own root. They live longer, and I am going to buy as many own root roses as I can in future.
    Judith

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    16 years ago

I've not had good luck with climbing sports of hybrid teas or grandifloras. The bushes grew well but only flowered once in spring. In my climate hybrid teas die way back in winter so my climbing HTs were only 3-4 feet when they bloomed. The rest of the summer they produced lots of foliage and long canes but no blooms. Perhaps in a warmer growing zone where they can keep their canes all year they would do better? I've tried climbing versions of Peace, Queen Elizabeth, First Prize, and a few others but have heard similar results from other growers.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Climbing sports of HTs or Grandifloras are also disappointing here in Southern California. Generally speaking, they GROW more than they BLOOM.

If you really want generous bloom, look for a rose which was "born" as a climber. Weeks, in particular, has introduced many good ones over the past few years.

Or, in a mild-climate, I would plant one of the Tea/Noisettes, which grow as continuous-blooming climbers.

Jeri

• barbarag_happy
    16 years ago

I agree that climbing sports of HT's are best avoided. Many large-flowered climbers have high-centered blooms which resemble hybrid teas-- like America, Blossomtime, and Royal Sunset. If you would consider a semi-double bloom that opens fully, there are glorious choices including Westerland and Autumn Sunset. I buy all my roses own-root, mostly from Roses Unlimited in Laurens, SC. Their plants are one-gallons, large enough to go straight into the ground. Let us know what you choose!

• kittymoonbeam
    16 years ago

My peach silk is outstanding! It bloomed all summer long its 3rd year. (one year from a band and transplanting from pot to pot as it grew) Then another year in the ground and the third year was magnificent!. It gets direct sun from 8 to 2 and filtered through a tree after that. The color varies slightly depending on weather. Bless you, Mr. Clements, I'm sad that you're gone. Peach silk is a beauty.

Other large flowered climbers I tried were not as good even though I have no frost. They don't seem to flower as much as the bush forms with the same name.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

If they are a climbing sport of a bush rose, they are not Large-Flowered Climbers.
    They are Cl. HT's -- or Cl. Floribundas, or . . .
    Examples would be Cl. Peace, or Cl. Paradise.
    They are often poor bloomers.

A Large-Flowered Climber is a rose which HAS no bush form, but began as a Climber.
    Examples would be Altissimo, Fourth Of July, Berries 'n Creme, et al.

Jeri

• idixierose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mostly I was just wondering what I might expect from this Climbing First Prize cutting that I rooted back in 2005.

I took the cutting from a Cl. FP that was grafted.

The rooted baby was small through '06, but it put out a couple of longer canes this past season. It's starting to look like it may eventually be a climber.

As far as blooming goes, it repeated 5 times from spring through November.

I tend to agree with Jeri that the climbing forms of HTs and grandifloras seem to put most of their energy into growing a bush rather than bloom.

As for Cl. Peace, here in lower Zone 8, it will send up 6 to 8 new canes each year. IMHO, the younger canes bloom better, so I remove most of the 3 year old canes and leave the younger ones. Also, the more I fertilized it, the better it bloomed.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Since you rooted the variety that was grafted to the rootstock, what you have now is an own-root Cl. FP. It being taken from a grafted plant does not affect the climbing tendencies. Cl. FP it was and CL. FP it is. REmember that own-root plants can take a couple of years to mature, and climbers can take 3 - 4 years.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

I have a few climbing HTs, they are grafted with the exception of two. Despite the bad reputation these climbing sports have I should say that Climbing Peace and Climbing Pink Peace are spectacular and they are good bloomers.

Climbing Peace
    {{gwi:347266}}

{{gwi:347270}}

Cl. Pink Peace (deliciously fragrant!)

{{gwi:230214}}

I rooted a Pele cutting and in three years it was huge and covered an arbor. But not many own root climbers did thet for me.

• malibu_rose
    16 years ago

The best one for me is Climbing Iceberg which I purchased from Wayside. I believe it is grafted. This is the 2nd year and it just keeps blooming. As of now, it still has a few blooms on it. For just a young plant, I think it is doing very well. Teasing Georgia on ownroot from Jackson and Perkins just keeps on growing and is basically for me a once bloomer. Fourth of July also ownroot from J&P too grows alot but since that is outside my fence is continually eaten by deers so I can't tell you about that one. An interesting thing happened with Fourth of July- one of its hips apparently got buried under the soil next to the mother plant and from this, a baby FOJ is growing! What I have tried so hard and failed miserably in propagating rose cuttings, Nature has done her miracle so easily!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Wow Ceterum, awesome roses there!

I have a couple of old (1897, 1931) Cl. HTs, that bloom well. Cl Shot Silk and Cl Kaiserin Auguste Viktoria. Cl. Shot Silk is having a big flush right now, in spite of, or perhaps because of, the 10/21 wind storm. The older varieties maybe have more Tea in them--perhaps that helps with repeat.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    16 years ago

Malibu Rose,
    You do know, I hope, that the baby FOJ growing from that buried hip wiil, in all probability, not produce blooms looking anything like FOJ. Because of all the various parents through the years contributing to the gene pool in that hip, the off spring can look like any or none of them.
    It might not even be a climber.
    Perhaps you'll end up with a nice looking plant, though, that can be propagated and introduced.
    Good Luck.

• malibu_rose
    16 years ago

Karl, thanks for taking the time out to comment about the baby Fourth of July. I am aware that it might not look like the parent but I did not know that it might not even be a climber!
    Thanks for clearing that up. In any case, this is such a delightful thing that happened to me, I am keeping this baby. I hope it grows up to be a nice rose!

• melissa_thefarm
    16 years ago

I took seven cuttings of 'Cl. Etoile de Hollande' (an old climbing HT) and got seven plants, which is promising. They have grown and bloomed moderately, but grafted mother and own-root children have lived through two dry years in poor ground and are still alive and cheerful. My plant is essentially once-blooming, but then it gets almost no care: it might be more floriferous with water and good soil and fertilizing. 'Cl. Etoile de Hollande' has lovely deep red color and very strong fragrance, and is very healthy and sturdy: if you want that type of rose I think it would be well worth a try.

Melissa