Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rookie_2009

pruned today and....does anyone have tips for saving my roses?

rookie-2009
14 years ago

I pruned my rose bushes today, this 4th day of December!

I am obviously a newby too gardening and I am beside myself over the mistake I've made. I'm not even sure the type of bush I'm dealing with. Any tips for saving these poor roses would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

ROOKIE:)

Comments (18)

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    14 years ago

Rookie
    If you live in a cold winter climate you'll get winter dieback on most modern and tender roses.
    You can't undo the pruning so you'll have to live with the results next spring. Any new dieback can just be pruned off. You should provide some winter protection in cold winter climates to at least protect the bud union and base of the bushes.
    In warmer climates, premature pruning shouldn't have much of an affect on the bushes except to promote new growth if conditions warrant. All but the tenderest of roses are very forgiving.

This is how you learn, but in the future ask before you act as you can't undo damage already done!
    Please post your growing zone or city and state as most advice depends on your climate and growing condotions

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Why did you prune them? Were they in the way of a walkway? Sometimes you have to prune them, even if it's not the best time. I had to cut my climbing cecile brunner way back and move it last month, since we were having new windows put in and there was no way to work around it...plus the thorns!

What zone/location are you in? The more information you give, the more people will be able to help you. If you're in a colder area, I think it's more damaging, but I'm fairly new to this too. Good luck with your roses :)

• rookie-2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I unfortunately live in oregon. I was just trying to clean up the yard a little and I didn't do all my homework. I appreciate the help and will never be so hasty again:) The funny thing is the bushes are out front for all too see my rookie mishap..hahaha! Oh well, I guess live and learn.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    14 years ago

Where in Oregon? The state has a wide range of growing conditions depending if you're east or west, north or south. The Portland area has great growing conditions while the east part of the state and higher elevations can get quite cold.
    Your"rookie mishap" will repair itself so don't fret.

• rookie-2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I live just 20 minutes north of eugene. I'm new at this so sorry for the lack of info. but,thank you for the input.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    14 years ago

Eugene is in sunset zone 6.
    Put that following rookie-2009 so it appears like this "rookie-2009 Sunset z6" or similar. That way we can tell right off the bat what your hardiness zone is and relpy accordingly.

Sunset zone 6 description is as follows;
    Willamette Valley Warmer summers distinguish this Zone from Zone 5, average temperatures being 5 degrees to 9 degrees F higher. Average winter lows are similar or lower than those of Zone 5 which are 28 degrees to 1 degree. Much of the Valley has a long growing season, with 279 days in Portland. However, Portland may also experience icy winds blowing down the Columbia. Zone 6 extends from Longview, Washington to Roseburg, Oregon. This of course includes Salem, Corvallis, and Eugene, Oregon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon sunset climate zones from Oregon State U.

• flowergirlwa8
    14 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much. We had some horrible wind storms already this year. I was out in the howling wind cutting my roses down to 2' to avoid the wind ripping them out or breaking them off. I often have to do this in winter. Last year we had much more snow and way more often then normal. I had a lot of dieback, but the roses made a quick recovery.

• ebster
    14 years ago

What would happen to the rose bush if you prune it now? It's been very cold here, night time temp of 20s or below. There's a rose bush that lost most of its leaves from BS and was starting to grow new leaves. I want to take a cutting just in case it didn't store enough energy to make it thru the winter. I don't know if the cutting will take this time of year. Would it damage the rose bush?

• Carrie_AZ
    14 years ago

I would recommend getting a book on pruning and all around rose growing. They come in handy when you need to look something up quickly. They helped me out when I first started getting serious about roses 22 years ago. Most pruning books give detailed instructions on how to prune a rose bush properly. Roses are pretty tough, I have been amazed at how tough they are. I live in the desert where we don't get any snow, it gets cold but, no snow. I really don't want to advise on that end of the rose growing range. Here in the far west part of AZ we prune as the rose grower's in S.California do in January.
    Carrie

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    14 years ago

You could take a cutting now and no it won't harm your rose bush. Try rooting it under a bottomless two liter pop bottle in a sunny window. The bottle acts as a small greenhouse. Keep the soil moist, not wet. Moisture beads will form on the inside of the bottle. That's good!
    Every couple of days, remove the lid and spritz some water into the hole. Don't over water. If growth appears and becomes very active, remove the lid to harden it off.
    This can take from two weeks to two months depending on the variety. If the cutting takes and after it hardens off, keeping it alive until spring will be the problem. Dry heated winter air is not kind to indoor grown roses.
    The following link describes how I did it years ago. I use a different method now using a misting spray on a timer and heat mats. Now I only root cuttings during the spring and summer months, outside in my greenhouse.

Here is a link that might be useful: rooting rose cuttings.

• ebster
    14 years ago

Thank you very much for the info and link. I usually don't root indoors because they suffer from root rot. I'll try now because this is a new rose and because I don't spray, lost all its leaves.

We had a cold October and warm November and early December. Many of the roses want to start growing. It got very cold on Friday night, low of 18.

• reg_pnw7
    14 years ago

Early December is a bit early for pruning in western Oregon but probably not disastrous. February is the general recommendation but I doubt you did any harm. Many people do a whack-back pruning in Fall to reduce wind damage over winter, then do their detailed pruning in spring. I just trimmed mine back a little yesterday.

Gardening is very location-specific. In fact location is everything. You must tell us your general region and climate zone if we're going to help you. Us westerners will understand your Sunset zone, which is way more specific than the USDA zones, but easterners will be confused by 'Sunset zone 6' as they don't have Sunset zones back East. USDA 6 is way colder than Sunset 6. Western Oregon will probably be USDA zone 8. I give both Sunset and USDA zones in my 'handle' along with the state.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Don't mind me.

• johnh_or
    14 years ago

"I unfortunately live in oregon" What, don't you like it here? Do you live around Brownsville? It beautiful down that way! Great Rose growing climate....they will be fine.

• chuck_billie
    14 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the pruning either.
    I live in mild western washington and some here prune in the late Fall.
    The eastern side of the state is much colder, Z4-5 and lots of those folks prune in the late Fall too.
    As stated above you'll just need to cut off any die back that occurs after you prune.
    We usually prune President's Day weekend here.
    Just think only 60 or so days until then.
    That said it was 18 here last night. Very unusual for us.
    "S" word being tossed around for this weekend. Grrrr!

• aka_strawberrygoat
    14 years ago

this is interesting...
    I was just asked tonight, if I would prune a few rose plants, possibly tomorrow..... cuz they're in the way of what's to be a yard tree, that's going to be decorated for Christmas..
    I mentioned that I didn't think it's a good time of the year but would check in here..
    we're in Olympia, zone 8
    I'm tempted to go ahead and trim them down, so if there's any loss to the stalks, it won't be to the ground or anything, so in the spring they'll grow back all tall again.
    in spring, when they grow up, the deer come in and eat the new blooms..so, either way, they lose a good deal of the plant.
    and....I heard that elmer's glue can be put on the tips, where they're cut, so they don't get messed up from rain or whatever...
    so, think I oughta go ahead and cut them back about at least a foot in height?..I think they're about 5 feet tall, now.
    they want to see that tree from their dining room window..the roses are directly in the line of sight.....

gotta know by tomorrow afternoon, unless rain or snow keeps me inside......
    we do have snow predictions up and coming...

thanks so much..

Becky in Olympia

• wesley_butterflies
    14 years ago

Mistakes are sometimes made you are forgiven. As it may seem like a " dohhhh WHY did I do that and then ask the question" Only to get what appears to be " ASK BEFOR YOU ACT "(For my responce you should also know: Oddly what some may neglect to tell you is Roses are also resiliant and sometimes also hardy ( EXP: I've had some of mine attact by deer and the roses din't seem to mind )

Ohh well: I guess I can't control everything

Example: Like my last concern: The mighty rose gods may even tell you not to water leaves right after it rains.
    The rose that gets pruned in Florida is a rose pruned in Michican as well: Regardless if its new, old what ever rose it is. It is sometimes wise to let the rose grow the gardener who also grows the rose.

Is it wise to prun in Winter ? No
    Will your roses die if you do it anways ? No
    Will your rose die if you dont do it ? No ( you might have some extra prunning to do in spring thou)

When is the best time to prune your roses ? I don't know ask your rose. Mine say Mid/Late Fall one yr and early Srping anouther yr. Regardless of how the sun times shine which do change from month to month in total sunlight hours no matter where you live in the USA

Peace
    Wes

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    14 years ago

strawberrygoat
    You can cut them back without worrying. You might get a little new growth if the weather warrants and, come spring, you may have to prune it off but your roses will survive.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    14 years ago

thankyou.....
    I didn't cut them back yesterday cuz of heavy rains..
    but will be over there to go ahead and trim, with full sun, calm day and temps more reasonable to be outside.

the deer can wait to finish the job, come spring.....

thanks again

Becky

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert