Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

Preparation and storing of seeds for winter sowing

I have harvested the berries from a true Solomons Seal in my back yard. I would like to try winter sowing the seeds that are inside those berries. The problem is that I dont have the materials or the time right now. How should I prepare and store the seeds until I am ready to set up a winter sow system which will probably be in a month or so.

Things are turning up here in wisconsin and lows are pushing the 20's already. Normally it is low to mid 30's this time of year anyway.

Can I prepare and store my seeds until I am ready to winter sow them and how should I do it?

Thanks,

Bruce

Comments (4)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Bruce, you should clean the seed of any berry pulp of polygonatum and sow it as fresh as possible. I'm not sure how much difference 4 more weeks of drying might make, but can you prepare and do one pot now?
    Sown now, you could have germination next Spring, but don't be surprised if it experiences double dormancy and doesn't germinate until the second year - after being exposed to multiple cycles of varying temps.

Pots I know will be with me for many months, I like to top with grit to discourage algae and moss, prevent a crust from being formed on top the sowing medium. About 1/16" or so is usually enough and if you don't have someplace convenient to buy chick grit or won't have other need for it (usually sold by the pound), I've used parakeet gravel from the pet aisle at the grocery store in a pinch :)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hmmm, thanks, yah, I have a 1 gal and half gal milk plastic milk carton. Can I use 16oz water bottles? I could probably whip that up in an hour in the next day or two.

Still looking for any advice.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Bruce, you could use the 16 oz water bottles - I think for something that will likely take so long to germinate though I'd use the 1/2 gal jug for something more substantial. Or maybe your 16 ouncers are sturdier than those I just checked in my refrigerator (generic grocery own brand)...my problem with sowing in those in my much milder winter would be wind (they would have to be sitting in something else) and raccoons. But I'm wondering about the quality plastic, if it wouldn't get brittle exposed to freeze and thaw, then sun, and better left for those things that will germinate in a more reasonable amount of time. Cool plant, I'd hate to see you put in several months of patience, then lose them.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK. I just planted about 30 seeds in a 1 gal milk jug and it is outside now. I have the 30 or so others in my garage spread out on a plate and i sow them when I get more suitable containers. Thanks. Wish me luck.

I also just dug up the roots (Rhyzome) of the original plant and divided the root and replanted them about a foot apart. So hopefully one method or the other will lead to more of them than just the one.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor