Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samuella_uk

Help, my beautiful Euphorbia has root rot.

samuella_uk
15 years ago

I have a 64inch Euphorbia something???, it looks like the African Ammak except it was originally from Mexico so I'm not sure.

I have had it nearly 10yrs and it was fine until I re-potted it. I used a professional cactus compost and mixed in the old clay/sandy soil with it as well and made sure not to break to much away from the root system. I patted it down well and left it several weeks before watering.

I had not looked closely at the base for at least a month or two since re-potting and then noticed the base was dark green and wrinkled. I dug away and found that the base and roots were rooting which equals about 10 of the 64 inches.

After reading through many previous posts I took the drastic action of cutting away as much of the bad flesh as I could which wasnt much of the base but almost all of its roots. I have now left it laying down out of its pot in the hope it will dry out.

There is not much of a root system left but not far below the flesh I cut off it is hard and creamy coloured which Im hoping is a good sign.

I really dont want to chop it completely off but is there a chance it will be able to re-root? (plus it is prity hard and would take a saw I think!!)

I read that sometimes rooting hormone is suggested, should I try this? and how long should I leave it to dry out before taking action?

Should I attempt to take cuttings from the larger branches before the healthy parts start to suffer, I dont want to cut it at all but also dont want to loose the whole thing?

With no real root system, how will it stand/ hold its weight while it is waiting to re-root?

and how long can the healthy parts remain without being potted and therefore how long should I wait for it to re-root without jepoardising the rest?

Sorry there are so many questions but Ive had it for 10yrs and would be gutted if it died now.

Thanks for your help. :)

Comments (6)

• jefe12234
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not sure what parts you cut, but I would remove the bottom cutting straight across above the last point of rot. If you carved bits and pieces out along the length of it you're leaving a lot of surface area that needs to heal and could potentially rot when planted. Plus the stem will be that much weaker if it's carved up. A single cut all the way through will leave a strong stem with the least amount of surface area to heal. You'll have to re-root it, but most Euphorbia's seem to root pretty easily.

When you repot I'd use a much more porous mix like in the link provided below. I'd set the base a couple inches into the soil and tie the plant upright. Make sure you have some way for the plant to drain without moving it. Don't move it until it starts growing again. Alternatively, you could tie a plastic bag around the base and fill with moist soil. It would be like an air layer and you could see when the roots have grown if you use a clear bag. You would probably still have to tie it up after potting it, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: succulent soil mix

• letmelook
    6 years ago

I have a similar problem only my Euphorbia is six feet tall and I have had it for twenty years. I'm including pictures - This plant had four stems however about two months ago one of the stems showed signs of root rot. I removed the stem with root rot and let it callus before I repotted it. I used a mix of cactus soil gravel, sand, perlite and it was looking good. I did not disturb any of the roots attached to the healthy part of the plant. Two weeks after repotting this is what has happened virtually over a two day period. As you can see from the photos there are three stems left. One very damaged and the second and largest showing signs of discolouration. Any suggestions.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I do not grow this plant, but few things I would consider: brown area look like corking to me - that is np, natural on many plants as they age.

Black area look like rot to me. I would suspect rot from overwatering - most of us growing succulents do not use sand. Soil + sand could be quite water retentive if both are quite fine. I see some perlite, but would add much more - same with gravel. Perhaps something like 40% sifted perlite, 40% grit and 20% C&S soil. Btw, how large is the gravel? For these ingredients to work best, gravel/grit & perlite should be of similar size.

There is also chance that if you had another rotted stem, some rot could have been left behind and spread. You said:..."I removed the stem with root rot and let it callus before I repotted it"...sorry I am not clear if you repotted the rotted stem after callusing? Or is it leftover plant you left to callus after cutting rotted one off?

These are just my ideas - hope someone else will post...at least this bumps your post up :)

Btw, this is old thread from 2009, best to start new one next time (sometimes ppl don't read them as much).

• letmelook
    6 years ago

Thanks for your input. Yes I am familiar with corking and it is indeed what you see. There were originally four stems and one started to rot. That is the one I removed leaving me the three in the picture. Once repotted everything seemed fine however the next stem started to rot and it moved very quickly up that stem. Unfortunately the plant has become soft and I'm afraid I will probably lose it at this point. As I mentioned it's been in my collection a long time and was doing well for so long.

• User
    6 years ago

If it was me I would try rooting hormone powder and cover the bottom with it. Set it on top of dry soil and leave it until it has strong roots. Good luck!