Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gobluedjm

Opinions on wild lilac/Ceanothus wanted

gobluedjm 9/18 CA
17 years ago

What is your opinion on wild lilac/Ceanothus.

I have read it can be invasive and can be a ground cover?

I don't want it as a ground cover.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• jcin_los_angeles
    17 years ago

Ceanothus comes in various forms: tall shrubs, medium size shrubs, groundcovers. Most gardening books that have information about native CA plants will cover the various kinds. Ceanothus is a marvelous plant, beautiful in bloom and low maintenance.

• wanda
    17 years ago

There are many different Ceanothus species. Some ar ground cover, most are shrubs, and some can be small trees.

My opinion, is that I like them very much. They are CA natives, so not invasive, although by size, they would tend to take over a small garden. They are very drought tolerant, most not wanting nor needing summer water.
    They are evergreen, withstand heat, drought, sun and frost and have the most beautiful shades of blue blooms in late winter/early spring. What's not to like?

I have 'Dark Star' an 8' diameter shrub and 'Ray Hartman' in tree form in one of my web albums if you would like to see them.

wanda

wanda

Here is a link that might be useful: California natives showcase

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks you 2. Wanda, luv all your pics! WOW! I'll have to look for the Dark Star and I want to put in Salvia Clevelandii also. Wasn't able to find it before and it's a native! And or course the poppies look great with the Dark Star even though they don't last long. I put in seeds in Nov so I hope they come up.

I miss the lilacs from back in MI, but I am finding other beauties like the Crepe Myrtles.

• mamamia
    17 years ago

Canyon Creek Nursery has Salvia clevelandii 'winifred gilman' by mail order if you can't find it locally. I have a clevelandii and love it.

• mamamia
    17 years ago

There are alot of CA native plant nurseries. Try a web search and I'm sure you can find sources.

• ren67
    17 years ago

I've been looking for a smaller ceanothus that won't dominate my garden in Long Beach. Something in the 3' x 3' range. Preferrably scented... Any ideas?

• tressa
    17 years ago

Good luck in your quest Gobluedjm....I have several ceanothus....they are a great foundation plant!!

Love your natives, Wanda, and they love where they are planted. I have several ceanothus and "Howard McMinn" but they look quite different in my climate. I also have an idential group of quails just like yours!!!

• wanda
    17 years ago

Salvia Clevelandii should be available at "real nurseries". I don't know if I've ever seen them in a box store before.

Tressa, that's too funny! Did you order yours from Jackson and Perkins too? I love them.

ren67, for a great listing/description of Ceanothus varieties, check las pilitas nurseries website. Sunset western gardening book also has a fairly good descriptive list as well.

wanda

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    17 years ago

ren67 I can recommend Ceanothus x palidus 'Marie Simon'. It only grows to about 4 feet, does not spread, has pink fragrant flowers in the spring. It is not a native but acts like one,and is drought tolerant. Al

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Anybody know which ones can tolerate irrigation? I would like to have a purple, lilac or blue one. Will get irrigated daily. I can try and protect it by something else but can't completely. I was just reading with too much moisture they can get mildew. In august and sept here it gets to 105.

• wanda
    17 years ago

Although there are a handful of Ceanothus that will tolerate summer water (Ray Hartman is one), I doubt than any can handle daily irrigation.

wanda

• mamamia
    17 years ago

Just to let you guys know, Canyon Creek is a quality nursery and is a real nursery as well.