Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomam

I started seeds indoors this year . .. .

ontariomam
12 years ago

Started annual flower seeds indoors this year under lights and they are doing splendidly. I think next year I'll start seeds later (I started everything mid-January, thinking it would take a while for everything to get going). My white bacopa is 6 weeks old and flowering. Browalia has had to be pinched back, cascading petunias are almost ready to bloom. Verbena is about 4" tall, mimulus is 2" tall, lobelia is 4" tall. My goodness. I've been busy transplanting into solo cups. Everything has been a splendid success. My planters will be gorgeous this year.

Comments (9)

• LilacIsLove
    12 years ago

It's easy to get carried away isn't it? I need to transplant most of mine too, but I've run out of potting soil!

• User
    12 years ago

I learned from last year about starting things waaaaay too early.

Just popping up over the last week for me are:

- goji berries
    - wonderberries
    - Mrs Burns lemon basil
    - hollyhocks
    - blue salvia
    - romaine lettuce (indoors to be grown indoors to eat on my sunny windowsills)(will start more when these are transplanted)
    - creeping thyme
    - wallflower

I'm doing my happy happy dance!

-

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

wow you must have lots of room and a great set up! good job. :)

• dowlinggram
    12 years ago

Wow did your post ever bring back memories!!

The first year I had my greenhouse I started everything much too early and then replanted some things later because the early ones were just too overgrown. I hope yours turn out better than mine did.

This year I too set up a light for starting plants and I'm amazed how well they do there. I only have geraniums there yet. I'm hoping to open my greenhouse later than usual this year and use the lights for early planting. I'll save on heating the whole greenhouse in the colder weather. It is getting expensive to heat then.

Do you know that you can take cuttings from your cascading or wave petunias. They root quite readily in soil. It might be worth an experiment if they get too leggy

• ianna
    12 years ago

I haven't started yet. Too daunting because of my regular housework but everyone here is making me want to do so. So perhaps this weekend I'll start going.

I've only tried once to plant verbena indoors and that was unsuccessful. I've more success direct seeding them.

I've learned long long ago not to start too early, unless you end up with plants more than a foot tall and too weak to withstand daylight. So this time, I'm more careful to start in March.

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

I always start to early indoors so now I w/s most things. Inside I have Rose of Sharon seedlings about 2-3" an some daylily seedlings that are about 3-4". I'm just waiting to start my peppers and tomatoes. Peggy, I've heard of Goji berries before and want to try them. Where do you get your seeds? I've never heard of wonder berries tho. What are they? Marg

• LYDIAhy1959
    12 years ago

good news

• User
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention I started another thread on Goji and Wonderberries. I got my seeds from Plant World Seeds online. I am a repeat customer. They have excellent service and fast shipping. They offer some seed varieties that other seed catalogues do not have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant World Seeds

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

I waited until March to start my seed starting this year. I have grown goji for years. I think I have enough tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers.I also did more wintersowing than usual. I have a sick husband so I have to be careful and not over stretch myself this year.