Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Great New Finds at Arid Lands ~ Pics

jojosplants
12 years ago

Yesterday I went to my favorite place to get new cactus and succulents. Arid Lands. The people there are wonderful and the plants are endless! It's so hard to make choices when there are so many to choose from!

But...

I managed to pick a few and here they are..

Kalanchoe synsepala~

What a beauty! I've never seen anything like it!

{{gwi:552586}}

{{gwi:552587}}

{{gwi:552588}}

{{gwi:552589}}

Crassula cv. pagoda village

Toni knows my taste and likes. This plant was kind of a funny situation. I mentioned seeing a plant I had questions about.. and she was on her way to get a plant to show me , thinking I might like it.. Turns out we were thinking of the same plant. lol..

here it is.

{{gwi:552590}}

{{gwi:552591}}

{{gwi:552592}}

Crassula arborescens undulatifolia (sapkamma sta.)

I didn't think to ask what the last part of the name means, I will when I return. But I do know the original plant that this is from came from Africa. I love the colors of this one.

{{gwi:552593}}

{{gwi:552594}}

{{gwi:552595}}

The last plant is Albuca shawii.. I don't have a photo at the moment but I will when it blooms soon.

Thanks for looking!

JoJo

Comments (26)

• norma_2006
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You made terrific selections. I also buy plants from them by mail order. I have never been disappointed. Norma

• emerald1951
    12 years ago

Hi JoJo..very nice choices...good score...linda

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Great looking plants, I would love to see how the second one grows and matures.

• xerophyte NYC
    12 years ago

"sapkamma sta." = Sapkamma Station, a farm in S. Africa, which is the type locality for this plant.

x

• dcelzinga
    12 years ago

I love how K synsepala throws out graceful stolons -- some tipped with plantlets, others with flowers. I hope it performs beautifully for you.

• land3499
    12 years ago

It's sad that they now concentrate on uninteresting Crassulaceae, but all good things must come to an end.

-R

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

It's great that they have such interesting plants, JoJo!
    Must be nice to have that resource in your neck of the woods.
    Nice pics!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Jojo!

These pictures are just way beautiful!!

That top one reminds me of a butterfly from a top view looking down. The second one reminds me of a bird from the back end moving forward in flight..lol
    You know how much I love butterflies and humming birds!

The third plant down looks like a crustation that would get up and walk away.
    Keep your eyes on that one.

Just wonderful and thanks so much for your time to share:-)

Mike

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Jojo, those are beautiful....So beautiful and one of a kind plant. Good choices.
    marie

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

JoJo,

Great plants! K. synsepala v. synsepala, I think. And the Crassula is a little sweetie, too.

R,

It's a shame you're the perennial front-runner, along with another frequently confused poster, to rain on someone else's parade first. It must be a heavy burden for you to bear.

• dcelzinga
    12 years ago

Crassula cv 'Pagoda Village' looks like a form of Crassula capitella thyrsiflora, one of my favorite Crassulaceae and one which receives among the most comments from visitors to my home.

R (land3499) -- Arid Lands still carries a large number of Haworthia, some really interesting Euphorbs, and I got some very unusual Cynanchum (perrieri, I think) from them. But maybe they were really magnificent in the good old days? I don't know--you don't really make clear why you are complaining.

Or maybe you prefer Aloes? Or cactaceae? Try Institute for Aloe Studies for your aloe fix. Or try Out-of-Africa plants for Pachypodium, Euphorbia, Haworthia... I have Dorstenia gigas from Out-of-Africa and one of my favorites: ADENIA GLOBOSA. Forbidding and wonderful!

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Morning!
    Thank you all ( with the exception of one) for your kind words!

Norma and Linda, Hello! :-)
    I'm glad you enjoy the pictures. I was there almost 2 hours and didn't really look at everything. It's a wonder they don't toss me out for loitering. lol! I went in there Sat. with no clue as to what I wanted, so I had a hard time making up my mind. Im very please with what I did find. :-)

chadec7a~ I will try and remember to post some updates later. It does have some little ones starting at the soil line.

X~ Thank you for the help with the name! I thought it had something to do with Africa, but the "sta." had me totally confused. ;-)

dcelzinga~ Have you grown K synsepala, or have it now? I'm not finding much info on the net for it at the moment. I did see about the stolons. I guess it's also known as the Walking Kalanchoe. Eventually I am putting together mixed containers. I can't wait to see how and where this one will fit in. :-) I've been gathering little plants here and there for 2 years now! I hope to have them all arranged at the end of the summer.

Josh~Mike~ Hello buddies! Thanks! ;-)
    Josh, It is nice to have a place I can go that only sells cactus and succulents! And get one on one time, by someone who knows what they are and they're care! Only 5 miles from me. This is run by Toni and Bob, and only 2 other helpers there. So it's nice! They don't advertise much, like in the phone book, so when i'm there, i'm usually the only one. It's great!

Mike~ I love how you described the Kalanchoe! When I saw it I thought of a Bat! :-) Great minds think similar, winged critters. ;-) I'll make sure the pagoda doesn't go anywhere! LOL! And it does kinda look like something out of a sci fi movie. lol.

Marie,
    Thank you. Yes, it is a one of a kind and I was so excited to find it! My son has already put claims on any off sets/babies it may have. :-)

Jeff~ Hello!
    I don't quite understand what you put.. "K. synsepala v. synsepala" Why does the name repeat it's self. ?? I've seen other plants labeled that way..
    Eager to learn here and always look forward to your posts! Like I said before , that is a tricky plant to find info on.

I like how you referred to the Crasulla, it is a sweetie. :-) A man with good taste! Thank you! I'm anxious to see that one grow!

dcelzinga~
    I always spend hours looking up plants I get, and it seems that pagoda and Crassula capitella thyrsiflora, are showing up with several different pictures, so at the moment I'm a little confused. ;-) Not hard to do with me. lol! Pagoda may be a dwarf version of thyrsiflora. I would love to see what you have, so please feel free to post a picture if you wish. This thread doesn't have to stay just Arid lands plants. :-)

As far a R~ goes, I don't think he's unhappy with the selection at Arid lands. It's more a case of unhappy with our likes in plants!

See, he HATES any thing in the "Crassulaceae" family, (did I word that right?) Anything like what I posted,the crasulla , Jades and such. He shows up with his rather RUDE comments like in this post to voice his dislike!

Last summer many of us were sharring Jade pictures and he left some rather nasty comments in those threads.They were sadly refereed to as "boring" and he was tired of us posting them.. so I think that's what's behind his little comment

"It's sad that they now concentrate on uninteresting Crassulaceae"

A decent person would just quietly leave a thread if they don't care for what's in it... but...

Well...
    anyway..
    Sorry such a long post, it was a busy weekend and this is the first I could really get here.
    I appreciate the good people here and your kind words and sharing, and input to help me better understand my new plants!

JoJo

• dcelzinga
    12 years ago

Hi JoJo, I can help with that. It's called Kalanchoe synsepala form (or subspecies) synsepala to distinguish it from Kalanchoe synsepala dissecta (which I also grow), a closely related plant with a slightly different leaf shape.

I don't use common names much, but it's called "Walking Kalanchoe" because of the stolons it grows with new, little plants at the end (often called plantlets). Luckily, unlike some the "Mother of Thousands" Kalanchoes, which can spread via plantlets like weeds, K synsepala (both forms, synsepala or dissecta) takes a *little* effort to get its plantlets to root.

That's a good thing! I'm still picking volunteer Kalanchoe delagoensis out of other pots where it spreads like crazy.
    --
    DC, Los Angeles. Member CSSA, SGVCSS.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Anybody notice? I think my comment got pulled.

"It's sad that they now concentrate on uninteresting Crassulaceae"

Immediately after this comment, I posted a response suggesting that the fact of my only being interested in 1 out of 5 of these plants is much more a reflection of my own personal tastes & preferences that a judgment on what was offered by the nursery.

Much more strongly worded comments have been left on -- I am perplexed -- Jeff did you happen to catch this?

Jojo -- well said indeed, I'll add -- I think he's just unhappy in general. Why else be so committed to rain on other peoples' parades? Maybe a curmudgeon by nature?

• citosa
    12 years ago

JoJo, I only just got a small K. synsepala myself, though yours looks a lot better at the moment! I'd never heard of it before either. In shape, it's really a fairly simple plant, but I fell in love with those markings on the youngsters and the potential size of the adult plants. Come to think of it, while I don't have many, that's the kind of Crassulaceae I tend to like: Take something non-dramatic and add that little bit of detail, subtle or bold, to catch my eye. I love that.

As for land3499, elsewhere on the internet he'd probably be labelled a troll. Trolls sometimes mean what they say and sometimes don't, but their main goal is to upset people or otherwise rile them up. The general advice is not to feed them, but it can be pretty hard to follow.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

DC,

A belated welcome aboard here - you bring a lot of sense and good plant knowhow with you, eh? And it only enhances your plant credentials that you come from a hotbed of succulentism.

Karen,

No, I didn't see your post, but that's one of the downsides with freeware, right? As it happens, I too have had posts disappear into the ether - it's the equivalent of an IVillage hiccup. And if he's a curmudgeon, he's lowering the standard of curmudgeons everywhere (I'm a loyal member).

JoJo,

It's as DC says, and if you think that K.s.s. is a fine plant, you'll also like K. s. d., so I'd suggest you start a nation-wide search immediately. It's a wonderful plant, too.

citosa,

True, but OTOH _R does have a lot to offer as a plant fancier, and he grows them well and knows them better - it's that crossing into The Dark Side where he stumbles and faceplants into a Euphorbia virosa that is so troubling to us all.

• dcelzinga
    12 years ago

cactusmcharris : Thanks for the welcome!

On the topic of online style and tone, sometimes fine folks fall give in to the temptation to write discouragingly or dismissively. It's not fun, but it does happen!

• paul_
    12 years ago

Nice plants Jojo! I particularly like the K. synsepala and the Crassula cv. pagoda village (that one is awesome)

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi citosa,
    Thank you.
    Where did you get yours? It seems to be a hard one to find. I hope to see little ones from this. This was grown in a greenhouse, so that probably gives it a little bit of an advantage, I just got it sat. so I can't take any credit for what it looks like. ;-) It's true, it's simple yet dramatic with the dark , slightly scalloped edge.

Hi DC~
    Thank you for your help with the name. It makes sense now! :-) I'm not real big on the common names either. They sort of fall into place with learning about the plant, but I don't use them much.

Nothing like volunteer's! LOL!

Hi Pirate girl~
    I never got a chance to see your post. I know things do disappear around GW and days I think i'm losing it. lol!

Thank you for posting again. I have to agree with you!

Jeff~
    I did do a search! LOL! Not alot has turned up though as a place to buy it. It is a beauty! DC thanks again for that info. I will find it! ;-)

Paul~
    Hello and Thank you!
    Pagoda is a awesome plant! :-) I can't wait to see it grow! I love them all, and it's hard to say which would be my favorite.

JoJo

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Opps, I did forget to say, the Crassula Pagoda was the one I liked most too.

I'm all about texture & sculptedness, so yes, that one really excites my visual & tactile senses. A few years ago I'd bought a similar but much thicker one from Dr. Jerry Barad. Unfortunately, I hadn't known how to care for it at that time :Nice little collection going there!

• dcelzinga
    12 years ago

Jojo: You're right! I just did an online search and didn't find any suppliers for K synsepala dissecta. These curiosity plants do go in and out of production.

To help your search, my memory says I bought mine at a plant sale at Huntington Botanical Gardens. I also see from an online photo at Dave's Garden that Rainbow Gardens in Vista, CA, has offered them before.

Those nurseries might not have them right now, but at least that's a couple leads.

• citosa
    12 years ago

JoJo, I got mine on eBay from someone in Spain (I'm in Denmark myself). Never heard of it before I saw the auction. It arrived a little dry and I didn't have time to pot it for a few days. Then I found my birds had gotten hold of it and nibbled on it a bit.

It's holding up well so far, but no secret, it's not looking its best at the moment. ;-)

-

Cactusmcharris, I'll concede your point and amend it to "forum member and troll". I have no use for that kind of attitude myself, but I rarely comment here, so it's not much skin off my nose. Mostly, I'm righteously annoyed to see people's parades rained on.

• land3499
    12 years ago

Posted by jojosplants

>As far a R~ goes, I don't think he's unhappy with the selection at Arid lands. It's more a case of unhappy with our likes in plants!

>See, he HATES any thing in the "Crassulaceae" family, (did I word that right?) Anything like what I posted,the crasulla , Jades and such. He shows up with his rather RUDE comments like in this post to voice his dislike!

>Last summer many of us were sharring Jade pictures and he left some rather nasty comments in those threads.They were sadly refereed to as "boring" and he was tired of us posting them.. so I think that's what's behind his little comment.

Actually I AM unhappy with the new selections at Aridlands. They are mostly Aloes and, yes Crassulaceae. I'm afraid they're not paying due attention to Euphorbias :)

As I've said before, I think it's great that people get interested in minor variations in plants, for example Jades. I have six clones of Opuntia fragilis, including one from my home county in Wisconsin :)

Jojo, I don't hate Crassulaceae. I have a couple of species of Adromischus, one Sedum, lots of Sempervivum, a couple of Kalanchoe, and have killed a few Tylecodons :(.

But it does seem to me that there are two different audiences for this thread, the first being people who ask "can I root a Jade Plant from a leaf?" and the second who don't.

-R

• land3499
    12 years ago

Now I'm a bit riled up!

"It's sad that they now concentrate on uninteresting Crassulaceae, but all good things must come to an end."

Yes, I did make a negative comment about Aridlands. And it took up an entire sentence.

I don't see how that could have been taken as a negative comment about the plants pictured...I think K. synsepala is beautiful, and to a lesser extent, C. 'Pagoda Village.'

I don't see how that could have been taken as a negative comment about the OP, or the OP's taste in plants.

I don't see how that could have been taken as a negative comment about anyone's taste in plants.

It was a comment about Aridlands. Read it, don't read into it.

Now I WILL say something negative, not just about Aridlands. PPL in this forum are way too anxious to jump down someone's throat at the merest hint of anything negative. Even something as seemingly innocuous as growing plants isn't all fluffy bunnies and pink unicorns. Sometimes there will be disagreements, and sometimes, negative comments will be posted.

I'm not a troll, certainly not in the sense that I try to provoke people. I do state my opinions. Sometimes those are disagreements, and sometimes they are negative.

-R

• penfold2
    12 years ago

R,

I think your comment sounded like it was directed at the OP since all of the plants pictured were Crassulaceae. I understand what you're saying now, it just didn't come across in that first sentence. I also agree that people can be very sensitive on these forums. I try to watch what I say, but I also try not to take it personally when someone has an opinion I don't like. And as for Arid Lands, I've been pretty disappointed with their recent updates as well. I wish they'd focus more on pachycaul trees, but I guess we can't all get our way. They still have a pretty impressive selection.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Hmm,I kind of like the pagoda's Crassula's-I only have a couple of them,but they are goodys. The variety of shapes is getting surreal with them and colors and blooms. A niche in the hobby.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH