Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greylady_gardener

My first WS EVER!!

greylady_gardener
16 years ago

Okay so I am a little excited!! :) It was so much fun planting last night. I was only going to do enough to fill one box with containers (it fit six 2 litre bottles), but I couldn't just stop at that so I did another six bottles and then decided to do about four more smaller pots (containers that iced caps from Timmy's comes in). I haven't found a container to hold them yet, so they are just sitting on top of my garbage bin right now. When I got up this morning they were covered in a nice dusting of snow. Today the weather channel says that we are expecting a large snowfall, but it also says that we are expecting temps of 6-9 degrees in the next week. I hope this isn't going to harm the seeds that I have planted.

What I planted last night:

clematis--jackmanii

columbine--dark red

columbine--red star

columbine--light blue

white birch

mountain ash

verbascum--I believe it is white blush

larkspur

impatiens balfourii

hosta--NOID

rose--Sir Wilfrid Laurier

sweet william--sooty

hollyhock--single apricot

carnation--thief of hearts

purple fountain grass

gaillardia--burgundy

snapdragons--pink

This is not WS, but is still planting so will say that I soaked two brugmansia seeds overnight and planted them this morning. They are sitting on top of my water heater right now.

I have more pots ready to go today so will be planting a few more things later on.

Tell me what you are doing. We can inspire each other!! :)

Lois

Comments (6)

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today I planted a few more.
    golden chain tree-(this one might be a stretch) :)
    lion's ear
    liatris-mauve
    short gaillardia flower- really nice short mounding type, but don't know the name as I borrowed it when out on a walk one day.
    gaillardia-red upright
    hardy geranium-HOPE it is wargrave pink
    rudbeckia hirta-autumn colours

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

You Go Girl! I started my first wintersowing 3 years ago after I saw an article in the Toronto Star..I thought I was too late in February. You should have seen me early April..sprouts! SPROUTS! I have sprouts! Neighbours didn't get it..but boy, they took my potted up seedlings!
    You will be amazed, and so satisfied by this. No whitefly, no straggly shoots reaching up to growlights, dying off when you plant them out.
    I wish you a happy spring!

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am definitely excited, Wendy. I have a fantastic sunroom that is wonderful for plants, but is not very big. I have already planted more plants than I could ever have planted inside. I have always had to choose the one or two or three plants that I just had to try and then only plant a pot or two of them. One of them always had to be tomatoes of course so that cut down even more on my flowers! This year I might just be able to have a garden that starts to resemble the one that I really want to have!! :)
    Now if I can just keep myself from starting my annuals too early, I will be doing something! LOL
    Lois

• ich_bin_nathan
    16 years ago

May I ask where you got your seeds...especially the clematis seeds...

Nathan

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The verbascum and the rose are from my garden and the hollyhock and the mountain ash are from a neighbour's garden. The light blue columbine seeds came from a plant exchange that I went to (I forget what I traded for them! :))All the rest have been from the wonderful trades and SASBEs that I have made with others at GW!!
    Trading and sending SASBEs is a great way to increase the varieties of seeds that you are able to grow.
    I have many others that I just can't wait to grow.

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forgot that the short gaillardia type flower was picked from a neighbour's garden and the carnation 'thief of hearts' was also a trade at the same ex that I got the light blue columbine from.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus