Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growsis

Hardening Amaryllis in IE

GrowSis
11 years ago

My Amaryllis/Hippeastrum has been outside since 5/10/12 (4 days shade), in at least 2 hrs of direct morning sun since 5/15/12 (4 days), and in 6 hrs of direct morning sun on an east-facing wall since 5/18/12 (15 days). I started fertilizing biweekly on 5/13/12. I'm in Zone 9b so cold is not the problem, heat is. The plant is happy in 70s F temps, it was okay with 84 F for one day and then when 86-90 temps arrived half the leaves wilted (at 6 hrs sun). Then we had a week of 60s-70s. Now that the temps are up to 80 again I am having a problem with one leaf that keeps wilting. I'm worried because it is going to get a lot hotter (100-110), the plant should be acclimated by now, and I don't want leaf drop. Winds are about 5-15 mph.

As of yesterday (84 F) the plant was fine at 5 1/2 hours direct sun, then leaf wilted a half hour later in shade. I basically have only two locations: 2 hrs direct morning sun or 6 hours direct morning sun. Was hoping I could acclimate the plant once and then be done all season except for extreme 110 degree temps. I'm afraid if the wilting continues I will loose the leaf. Question is how do I acclimate for summer temps once and for all ? Do you think the leaf is internally damaged and I have to continually babysit? It always recovers overnight. Watering doesn't help.

Other info

Variety: Red Lion

Blooming: Jan '11 (@4wks) and May '12 (@2wks after looong dormancy)

First season outdoors

Growing medium: Coco Peat

Potted: 12/2010

5 1/2 Hours Direct Morning Sun

{{gwi:415439}}

+1/2 Hour Later In Shade

{{gwi:72784}}

Comments (3)