Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Tree Oleanders...

The nicest use of Oleanders around. In particular these white Oleander bare a strong resemblence to Hawaiin Plumeria trees.

{{gwi:550780}}

{{gwi:550783}}

{{gwi:550785}}

Comments (11)

• deep___roots
    15 years ago

Oleanders trained as standards. It should be against the law to grow them in any other fashion. Absolutely superb, sir, I concur!

• angelcub
    15 years ago

Spectacular! I'm not a huge fan of them unless they're well taken care of, which doesn't seem to be the norm. My DH thought he positively hated them until he saw a low hedge of them in the parking lot of a Lowes, no less. He is now not so opposed to them. I will show him these pics. I bet he'll find them quite acceptable. : )

Diana

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

For a commercial planting this is indeed an enlightened corporation willing to spend the big bucks for the overall beauty of the area. Oleanders properly grown are wonderful. Al

• jakkom
    15 years ago

I have two 'Sister Mary Agnes' white oleander standards and one red oleander standard. The SMA has grown much faster and is incredibly floriferous. Only problem is the litter - I'm always sweeping dropped flowers off the sidewalk! But it's worth it. Thanks for the encouraging photo of mature specimens.

One warning for home gardeners - oleander standards need serious staking to grow upright. The trunks remain very flexible for the first three or four years, and it's all too easy for the trunk to thicken into a permanently leaning possition.

• riakiss_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I have a appx.15' tall Oleander tree on my yard..,problem is "not blooming",lots of flower buds then the buds are drying up! What should I do? Last year I had "some" flowers!
    Thank you!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

I have a row of white oleanders pruned up as trees that line my long driveway. About 20 of them. Not as large and spectacular as these are - and they are quite gorgeous - but still very lovely! The very sad thing down here in S. California, is that we will eventually lose all our oldeanders as Oleander Leaf Scorch has spread to San Diego county. All of the oleanders in Riverside & San Bernardino counties, as well as most in Orange county have died, now. And, you can see the oleanders dying all over the medians here in San Diego county. Very sad. It is fatal, there is no cure, so we will eventually lose them all. I also have a nice hedge of white oleanders that line my back yard area as well. I am seeing Leaf Scorch already in my back yard oleanders, and am slowing losing those. My oldeander trees out front so far, seem to be fine, but it's just a matter of time for them, too. So very sad.

Patty S.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Those are spectacular indeed. Thanks for posting that.

Here many oleanders have died, but I've noticed on my walks a few which have sustained some damage are coming back.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

Hoovb, they may appear as though they're coming back, but one stricken with OLS, they're doomed. I have had several that have done the same thing, but they will eventually die once infected.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Oleander Leaf Scorch

• gvbob
    9 years ago

I planted an oleander tree this past December (~ 7 months ago). It seems to sucker a lot from the base and also up the trunck. It is already about 7 feet tall. Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of suckering that I'm getting -- I don't think nutrition is an issue . HELP!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

To keep it as a tree will take a lot of pruning of suckering growth, at least for the first couple of years, which is the norm for Oleanders. As a new member, welcome. It would help if you would add your location to your name. Al

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

There is a product called "Sucker Stopper" by Monterey company, that works pretty good, though sometimes you need a second dose.
    But I've hear rumors that they may have discontinued it, haven't been able to confirm that though.