Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinah

how wide?

Dublinah
12 years ago

Hello all,

I have an area that I'm going to plant some clematis this spring.

It's next to an Orange and Lemons shrub rose so I'm thinking a deep blue or violet clematis will look nice.

How wide to clematis usually grow?

The area I'm planting is about 7 feet wide, the top will be the left side of my deck, about 20 feet high.

From reading posts in this forum, I'm thinking 2 plants should be enough.

Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

Thank you in advance :)

~Dublinah~

Comments (7)

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Clematis vary widely (pun intended)

• Dublinah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

...wow....
    thanks.....

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

It really does vary quite a bit. There are clematis that grow 30+ feet high others that will cover a fence with one plant, and also ones that will fit happily in a large pot. You can look at do a search to look at photos (though take colors with a grain of salt) or visit Clematis on the Web and search for info including images by typing in the name (or part of a name) of a clem you are considering. Betty Corning is one that is pretty large.

On a 5 foot wide trellis I have 3 clematis, and I usually put 2 per obelisk. You can always start with 2 clematis and your rose, but spacing so that you can add one at each end or in between later on if your chosen ones don't fill your trellis as desired. And since you said you are growing up to a deck, and added note: just be sure you have something small enough in diameter for the leaf stems to wrap around - wooden trellis generally is too big.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I actually typed a bunch more information and have no idea why it didn't appear on my post...

A big grower like Polish Spirit would take up most of that space as would Betty Corning, both would look good with that rose.

You could put two if they were smaller growers like Prince Charles and Rouge Cardinal

• bob414
    12 years ago

This may help. Here's Oranges 'n Lemons growing with Polish Spirit and Gravetye Beauty. Venosa Violacea grows in the same area but you can't see it in the picture.Of course the color isn't quite right but it's close.

{{gwi:577253}}

• Dublinah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the advice and input; much appreciated!
    Hubby and I dug the bed this past weekend; I think I'll go with 2 Daniel Derondas though I'm torn between to vendors: Brushwood or Silver Star.
    I've ordered from Brushwood before and was impressed with them. Never ordered from Silver Star.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    12 years ago

I have ordered from and been happy with both of these vendors. Brushwood's plants, as you already know, are very good sized in quart pots. Their packing is wonderful, and I don't believe I've ever experienced so much as a damaged leaf on their plants in transit. Silver Star is also very good. Their plants are usually slightly larger than Brushwood's, and because they ship plants grown in gallon sized plants, the shipping will of course cost more. I don't think you could go wrong with either vendor.