Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnyjj9b

Is it too late to fertilize with buds showing?

ginjj
12 years ago

I did not fertilize two of my clematis when I did the others. These two now have buds showing; Ramona has large buds. Is it too late to fertilize?

I've read to fertilize before buds show. What is the danger of fertilizing with buds?

Do you recommend fertilizing early January before much if any growth has started or do you have to wait until growth begins and then hurry up and do it before buds develop?

Thanks

Ginny

Comments (4)

• bob414
    12 years ago

I've read on this forum that fertilizing clematis while they are blooming shortens the length of the bloom. I can't say whether this is true or not because I always fertilize when I cut them back in the Spring.

• bob414
    12 years ago

I meant to say that I can't say from my experience. I do not question that it may be true.

• jaco42
    12 years ago

Wouldn't it depend somewhat on the type of fertilizer you were using? I use slow release fertilizer and have never had a problem. Just a thought.

• erleep
    12 years ago

You should not fertilize your clematis once buds have come out or they will all flop out. I learned that last year. I was wondering why all the blooms of my clematis are flopping out until I stumbled upon an article from the garden section of our newspaper that said, fertilizing clematis when already in bloom will cause the flowers to flop.