Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quirkpod

what does Clematis worna look like?

Lavoie Boho
17 years ago

I cannot locate a photo on the internet. THank you.

Comments (12)

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Is Worna supposed to be a cultivar? Never heard of it. Perhaps it is spelled incorrectly?

• nckvilledudes
    17 years ago

Robin, just a guess but I think you mean clematis viorna. I have it and am surprised you haven't seen it one of the times you have been over at the house. Following is a link to it on COTW where they have used a couple of pictures of my plant in their listing. This clematis is a native clematis and a couple of years ago I discovered a colony of the plants over at Salem Lake. I have collected seed and sent it to various clematis breeders/growers including Ellen Horning at Seneca Hills Perennials and Dan Long at Brushwood Nursery. Dan is growing some seedlings now which he is planning on offering for sale when they mature enough. I am sure Ellen is planning on doing the same. Seed has also been distributed to various growers in England and Norway. This clematis is one of our natives and one of the most underutilized and undergrown clematis here in the states in my opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis viorna on COTW

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

What cute little bells!

• nckvilledudes
    17 years ago

buyorsell, I can send you some seeds later in the year if you want to try growing it from seed. Then again, you might just want to wait until Dan or Ellen offer it on their websites.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Thank you but I suck at seeds. I appreciate the offer though.

• nckvilledudes
    17 years ago

Yeah I understand totally. I am way too impatient to grow clematis from seed. They can take forever to germinate, grow in spurts and then die back, then come back, etc. I get so frustrated with them that I toss them out. I did get a couple of alpinas to grow from seed and got them to the stage where they could be planted in the garden. They did alright for one summer, flowered the following spring and then summarily died. The atragenes as a whole don't do diddly in my garden and zone and it figures my first experience with plants from seed would be those types.

I do however relish the idea of crossing stuff and have a cohort on the west coast who has offered to take any crosses I make and grow them out! Surrogate mom so to speak!

• nckvilledudes
    17 years ago

Hey BorS, if you like bell shaped clematis, how about fusca?

{{gwi:585977}}

Pitcheri
    {{gwi:585978}}

Glaucophylla
    {{gwi:585980}}

Versicolor
    {{gwi:580271}}

A pitcheri hybrid that Dan Long sells at Brushwood

{{gwi:585983}}

Addisonii

{{gwi:585984}}

Fascination
    {{gwi:585985}}

Crispa
    {{gwi:580274}}

There are tons of them out there and quite a few are US natives that hardly get any press!

• nckvilledudes
    17 years ago

Bump for BorS response.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Those are all very cool. I've never seen any of them locally. I may have to give in and start mail ordering. 'Fascination' has been on my list but I wasn't familiar with the others.
    Thanks!

• nckvilledudes
    17 years ago

No problem BorS. I couldn't imagine being without these types of clematis. If I was limited by purchasing only those things I could buy locally, I would be stuck with type IIs only.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I have found I's, II's and III's locally. All hybrids though, no species except for some of the evergreens.

I see you have most of the pictured ones planted on shrubs, are they smaller vines or do you like them scrambling around as I do?

I really don't know anything about species Clemmies. Other than I think those little bells are cute and I know 'Rooguchi' mildews here and it has been the only true bell shaped one I've found. (I know it is a hybrid)

• nckvilledudes
    17 years ago

BorS, I like them scrambling around and through things. That is how most of the species grew long before anyone discovered them so I tend to like to mimic their natural habitat.