Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Should I prune ol' Nelly Moser now or just leave it?

esther_b
12 years ago

What a banner year. Not. This 2 y.o. Nelly Moser had exactly ONE flower and then just sat there the whole rest of the summer. Should I trim it or just leave now, in the fall?

Comments (2)

• sandyl
    12 years ago

Nelly Moser is a slow, slow grower for me.. I have had her 3 or maybe 4 years and she just can't make herself do much no matter how much i tend to her, she is watered and fertlized well but she is still a weak grower for me..In the years I have had her I might have seen a total of 5 very weak blooms. She was a mature plant when I got her at a plant swap. Grant it I do have her in a large 20 gal pot, but I have many in large pots and some of them aren't as old nor as mature as Nelly but they do grow and bloom well, but not Nelly Moser. As for pruning her now, I don't think it would help her this year nor hurt her in the long haul. Prunning above ground encourages root development below ground. I have found with mine she does best in part shade then in direct hot summer sun, she browns out very easy in hot sun. Sandy

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

My Nelly Moser is putting out fall blooms now. It is a prune 2 with early blooms in the spring on old growth and rebloom in the late summer/fall on new growth. If you prune now you will remove the old growth needed for spring bloom. Wait until spring and do a light pruning.

Mine is a small young plant so can not comment on growth other than to say it is growing as expected.