Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Does your interior style reflect your garden style?

lavender_lass
14 years ago

I've been spending a lot of time this winter planning out garden spaces. Not all of them are going to get done this year (or next) but I wanted to get an idea where I would put the vegetable beds, fruit, herbs and flowers...which of course, includes lots of old-fashioned roses and lavender. While I was planning, I realized that my garden style is very similar to my decorating style in the house. I just wondered if that was true for you, too?

My inside style (being on a farm) is pretty casual, but I do like antiques and family "heirlooms"...at least they're special to me. It's kind of an eclectic look, but I hope it's cozy and casual with just a little bit traditional. I also have some tea cups and dishes displayed here and there, which I think gives the place a bit of a cottage feel.

My colors are mostly shades of tan and brown with lots of wood and dark green, with purple and some pink and a little blue. I like some painted furniture, but it's mostly older pieces that have been a little scratched up over the years. I have lots of books on bookcases and lots of pictures of mostly outdoor scenes, but there are baby photos of my horses on one wall...I guess they're where most people put their kids' pictures LOL.

Even though I don't have kids, I have a lot of kids that visit, so I have toys. Mostly books, games, puzzles and coloring books on some of the low bookcases. I also have some Fisher Price "fairy theme" toys...the fairy treehouse and a castle, which probably gave me the idea for the fairy garden :)

What about you?

Comments (13)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

I can round it all up into one word, eclectic :o). I garden and decorate our home with whatever pleases me. Take my rough plastered walls, they've been in and out of fashion several times since I did them. I like them so they're staying.
    Ours is a casual put your feet up kind of home, comfort comes first. I enjoy and appreciate all the different styles, I've seen some absolutely drop dead gorgeous homes but they're just not me. What's in or out doesn't enter into the scheme of things when I decide to take on a project. I guess you'd call me a nonconformist LOL.

Annette

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

The major continuity between inside and outside is color. I like - and use - the same palette of colors (mostly cool pastels with a bit of eye-popping intense cool colors to shake things up). Indoors that's the raspberry-red dining room; outdoors it tends to be clematis and hibiscus in purple-blue or deep red. I wear much the same colors too :-) I do use more peachy tones indoors and in my wardrobe than in the garden.

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Yes, due to 4 dogs, there's almost as much mulch inside as outside.
    I have reached the age where style does not matter. Comfort is more important.
    My colors are whites, blues, purples, greens and yellows, inside and out. Hmmmm.... I guess anything that is not brown or red tones.
    But if I had to nail down a "style" it would be garden style.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

Yes, my style is the same inside as out, which is more classic, or formal, and I think we have a good 'flow' from outside to inside.

We have lots of old heirloom pieces we inherited inside; outside we have old statues, urns, fountains, etc.

Inside we like a very traditional feel; outside we have the same traditional feel with boxwood hedged lined beds, roses, standards, etc.

Inside we are quite colorful, with red walls, patterned pieces, etc., outside is colorful, too, with lots of different beds and lots of different colors (red is my husband's favorite flower color, pink is mine, so we incoporate lots of different colors to mix those).

Our home is built with traditional finishes - brick, wood flooring, etc. Outside has traditional finishes also, concrete, stone and brick for ponds, raised beds, etc. I hope to replace the steel edging for brick this year.

Our foyer is flanked with two matching bookcases with mirrors above; the entrance to our property is flanked with six crepe myrtles (three on each side).

Even our raised vegetable beds are placed in a very traditional diamond pattern.

Good question. :)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Annette, said it very well for me too. My style is country comfortable. I don't worry too much about 'decor'.

Come to think of it, that could describe my gardening too.

• floweryearth
    14 years ago

LL, you always start the best threads. :)

My decor style totally clashes with my garden style.

My interior is very modern, with clean lines, luxurious fabrics, minimal clutter, and lots of sparkle and shine.

I like dark woods, a hotel-like feel for the bedroom, spa-like feel for the bath, and boutique-like feel for my walk-in closet.

My color palette is a rich taupe, white, black, with silver accents here and there. Crystal lamp bases, silk drapes, louis ghost chairs, mirrored objects and tables, an occasional candle, and simple but contemporary furniture make up my antithesis-of-my-gardening-style interior.

My aesthetic can be described as minimal luxe meets glam. :)

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Interesting thread LL! I've been doing the same as you and, as of today, have moved from designing my new garden on paper to 'drawing' paths and new beds on the brown grass and soil outside with sawdust. Ground is still frozen so no digging yet but the snow has mostly gone so I just *had* to get out and play!

I recently started 'collecting' words as I thot of them to describe my interior decor style and I think most would also fit my garden spaces.

vintage, antique, cottage, rustic, heirloom, Bohemian, eclectic, pre-owned, collected, creative, comfy, cozy, soft, casual, relaxed, welcoming, painted, polished, patina, well-loved, repurposed, more-is-more, beyond perfection

I'm still collecting words and perhaps for my garden the word polished could be changed to swept. Indoors I like my old furniture to be cared for with scratch remover and polish but to still have patina. Outdoors I guess that translates to weeding the beds and sweeping the patio! I like garden junk outdoors just as I like pre-owned found treasures indoors. The 'beyond perfection' means perfect is not necessary, I'm over needing that (reformed perfectionist here!). ;-D

• DYH
    14 years ago

Interesting topic - would love to see photos from folks!

Casual inside. Our house exterior, gardens, etc. are all English-inspired, but adapted for the southern US.

Gold, burgundy and green color scheme. Wide oak floors, lower grade to have a lot of knots, stained dark walnut.

Wood framed windows and doors, no aluminum or clad windows. All door hardware is oil-rubbed bronze. Levers on French doors. Egg-shaped knobs on all interior doors with oval plates.

Even our dining room, I consider casual - 100 year old oak table, family heirloom antique oak china cabinet filled with family heirloom English ironstone (white). The light fixture has frosted glass shades, embossed with butterflies (same fixture in kitchen and larger version in foyer).

We have no modern breakfast room. I designed the kitchen to be large and English-inspired. The perimeter cabinets are sage green. We have a farm sink. Minimal upper cabinets and the food pantry and the dish cabinet are made to look like old hutches, painted sage, even the counter tops. The black island has a butcher block top and the style is English country inspired. An English friend visited and said it looked just like his aunt's kitchen without the peeling wallpaper (my walls are white).

French doors across the front give us a view of the cottage garden. Flowers grow at my front doorstep.

Kitchen sink view

{{gwi:599893}}

I left a blank space in my kitchen so that I could use my grandfather's old pie safe as a bookcase for my recipe book. Antique English mezzotint print above. I collected the pottery from travels (Russia, France and Italy).

{{gwi:599894}}

Beadboard on stair walls is one of my favorite casual (and functional - no wall dings) features:
    {{gwi:599895}}

View from dining room to cottage garden:

{{gwi:599898}}

Casual master bathroom with pedestal sinks:

{{gwi:599899}}

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Yes and no. My exterior is far more naturalesque than my interior. Besides houseplants, I don't think there is a single thing that is in it's natural state inside. - Every spec of real wood is painted, everything is an "unnatural" dayglo color...outside there is a lot of stone and brick :)

• irene_dsc
    14 years ago

Hmmm...good question. Both are very much works in progress, and it's hard to give either of them a defined style. I am constantly fighting the anti-clutter battle inside - at least it is easier outside. It is very obvious that kids live in our house, and just about every bit of decor is either a souvenir, family item, or artwork made by someone we know personally, so it is very, very eclectic. The garden is more cohesive since it is mainly plants, lol.

• seamommy
    14 years ago

My interior used to be 'casual farmhouse' style, but since the 2 yo grandson came to stay, it might best be described as 'baby clutter'. It's slowly evolving to 'toddler clutter' which I'm sure will eventually descend into 'little boy camp style' followed by 'teenager'. Just as when my own children were still at home, my life revolves around the child in the house and that childs needs, this little guy is the cream in my coffee.

The garden style used to be 'tidy farmhouse cottage' but in the past 9 months it has become 'benign neglect.' It still has many beautiful flowers and good structure as a result of 10 years of hard work and careful tending to beds and walkways. But the walkways are still full of last years leaves, the spring bulbs are pushing up through last years dead foliage and ground covers are leaping over edgings and scampering across pathways with joyful abandon.

DH and I do very well sharing responsibilities in caring for the little darling-and he is definitely a high-maintenance little dude. I think he could disassemble the lawn mower or climb up onto the roof if we didn't watch him every minute. But that extra duty has cut all of our outdoor time in half.

The one sanctuary that I have is my little greenhouse. It's 10'x12' of quiet solitude for me and I actually get to go out there about 4-5 times a week. I can only go out there after DH gets home cause if I take the little darling he wants to swim in the galvanized tub that's currently full of slime and goldfish. The fish will be going back out to their pond this weekend and I will be able to use the slimey water to nourish my plants. then I'll just have to find a tall and strong enough barrier to keep the LD out of the pond.

When my three daughters were small I could tell them one time to not do something and they wouldn't do it. Not this guy, telling him not to do something is all the inspiration he needs to set his mind to do it. But hey, he's two, he's a handful, he's delightful and wonderful. I wouldn't want him any other way. Cheryl

• ianna
    14 years ago

in the sense that I like my interior design rustic, I have my backyard garden design rustic. However one would describe my interior design as Southeast Asian Country -- if such a term exist. I collect hardwood carvings from areas like China, Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines. I've a teakwood furniture made from reclaimed bridge wood sourced out of Indonesia. I guess you might say, I like to know the history of what I'm getting. I collect textiles too - most recently a small Afghanistan carpet (Suzani) which was probably with a family for some years before it made it to my home and an IKAT hanging made by some tribal folks out in Indonesia.
    - But I also contrast my designs with modern and contemporary design otherwise the balance is off. So contemporary lamps, sofas, etc.

My gardens are English Cottage garden. It's not a tropical paradise. I like the wild woodland feeling too and the meadow look. It's far from Asian (except for the trellis).

I like what wonbyherbits has done to her home. Mine is similar but I wish it was just as neat. I'm about to commence to redo my staircase and the kitchen. (I do wish I could get hold of a farmhouse sink but it's so expensive here). Unfortunately with a child around, and a Husband who keeps dropping things around the house, I'm forever picking up clutter. And boy the dust, I'm forever trying to deal with dust.

• blueberryhills
    14 years ago

That's an interesting question.... after I started thinking about it, it occurred to me that the only furniture we have that was bought new are the 2 love seats that we've had for several years. Everything else has been flea market finds, hand me downs, and DIY projects. I'm not much of a decorator and I don't do trendy. I'm sentimental, some of my most prized possessions have no monetary value, like my Grandmother's quilt box, that's probably over 100 years old and my stainless steel coffee pot that came from the creamery where my uncle worked for years. Sweetie prefers clean lines and no clutter, but tolerates me softening the edges. I guess it's the same outside, he would prefer neatly landscaped, but since I'm the one who tends to it, he doesn't complain much about where I put Grandmother's rose, or the lilac, or all the Iris I get from Daddy. My house and my yard are full of memories and that's the way I like it.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH