Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldstumpy1

shelves

I know any one with an addiction as bad as me needs help to fit more plants in side for the winter. I hope this helps.
I have switched over to wire closet shelves and used wire chain to hang them I spaced the top I bolts 36'' apart and 16'' wide. I used a 12 '' shelve on top and 16'' shelves on the bottom,a short chain is used to adjust the upper shelves as the plants grow. the lights are removable and sealed on top with silicone to keep water out. the front of the shelves can easily span 36 '' but the back I had to just add a diagonal chain on a 45' angle when I really load them up. I made up what I call humility trays out of coil stock available at big box stores to keep any excess water from my computer.
{{gwi:672811}}
{{gwi:672813}}
{{gwi:672816}}
{{gwi:672817}}

{{gwi:672820}}

Richard

Comments (14)

• _eee
    9 years ago

Richard, that looks great and so inventive. Everything looks so neat and clean plus the plants look healthy.
    Thanks for sharing, Dottie

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Richard

Thank you for the pictorial, that's very helpful.
    My set up is similar (not as nice as yours, and not as many beautiful plants!), so I am off to get better chain...I have used only skinny type usually sold to suspend the pots.

I am surprised about distance of 36" for the bolts, maybe stronger chain in my case will help.

Your greenroom is great...

Rina

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HI Rina
    this is the chain I use Its very simple to open a link with vice grips and a flat screw driver.

Richard

{{!gwi}}

Original Author
    9 years ago

oops

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

nice set up!

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Richard,
    There's another thing we have in common besides our love of plants.I have been using them in my garden for years,but in a different way than you.I hang them on my galvanized steel fence and the block wall by the lip on those shelves.Let me find you a picture so you can see what i mean.

Here's my fence

{{gwi:573795}}

Here's a better picture of the fence,and the shelves hanging on it.

{{gwi:672826}}

This one is all rusty,but you can still see it.
    {{gwi:672830}}

I'm of the old school."Use it up,wear it out,make it do,or do without"!!!
    Kathi

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Thanks for this WONDERFUL tutorial, Richard, ALL your stuff is WAY TOO neat & tidy! I can only WISH to someday be like you! LOL

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Richard, thanks again. Just came back from the store - bought same chain (before I saw your post...good vibes!!!)
    Rina

• hanzrobo
    9 years ago

I thought your setup was impressive before! This is just neat-o.

Original Author
    9 years ago

HI Kathi
    I like your thinking [."Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"!!! ] I to am old school, according to my grand children older than dirt. Its hard to imagine what it will be like for them in todays society where ever thing is throw away most of my plants were less than five dollars some had broken leaves or were near death, I love a challenge.
    Why do I feel like I have to root every leaf or cutting.
    thank you everyone for the compliments I do appreciate them and hopes this helps someone with space problems over the winter. this setup can also be used in front of any window and easily be taken down.

Richard

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Richard, what a lovely set up you have there, it's inspirational! Your plants look healthy and happy, and a real credit to you.
    Can I ask, do you water from above or below as I notice your lovely terracotta plant pots and saucers have very little water/fertiliser salt marking. I have tried both methods and despite using rainwater, I get a real build up on the outsides of the pots...what's your secret please?????

Gill UK

Original Author
    9 years ago

HI Gill
    I water most plants from above unless they overhang the pot then I water the pot and tray and let it soak up. I truly believe air movement is critical ,fans are on 24 hours a day
    I made this up a few years ago to water when I spent more time watering then enjoying.
    {{gwi:672832}}
    {{gwi:672836}}
    {{gwi:672838}}
    it allows me to control the water with instant on off and reach between plants without damage.

Richard

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Thanks for the further info Richard. Your home made 'watering wand' looks just the ticket and far more robust than the ones we get in the stores here...they are almost useless. We also have those wrinkly hoses too. I tend to use a long spouted watering can, but you have many more plants than me...but my d/h says I have a lot, but I say you can never have enough!!

Gill UK

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Such glorious organization! A great set-up example for me.....someday.....