Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stimpy926

Need help with Juniper ID

stimpy926
15 years ago

Hi, I have a volunteer, growing for a few years now, and I think I have to cut it down, as I suspect it'll grow too wide for it's space. It's blue, with some winter bronzing presently, all juevenile like, pointed foliage, no scale foliage. It's 6'x 2'. From what I've found so far, the needle arrangement against the stem indicates Juniperus squamata perhaps? So, being from seed, it would be the straight species? Can it be known how wide it might get, as that's my only concern.

{{gwi:667823}}
{{gwi:667825}}
{{gwi:667827}}

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

tough to tell from that first pic.. but try googling

Juniperus scopulorum 'Witchita Blue'

very common ..

got rid of all mine.. because of the tip disease it is susceptible too ... google Juniperus scopulorum 'Witchita Blue' tip disease'

get rid of it.. its a nice blue.. UGLY plant ...

there is a fastigate blue spruce -- upright -- that MIGHT BE better suited to the spot

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• stimpy926
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ken, Missouri Botanical and U of CT databases both say scale foliage for Juniperus scopulorum 'Wichita Blue'. Mine's all needle foliage.

15 years ago

oh young jedi ... why do you question obi wan??

some of the winter bronzing MIGHT be dead branch tips... diagnosis is left to you ....

otherwise.. its rare that a blue plant bronzes ... IMHO ...

bronzing under the waxy blue coating.. turns some blue plants purple.. not bronze.. the wax can wear off from death .. but the wax can not turn colors ...

actually the wax only reflects the blue sky .. so the plant looks bluer on a sunny day.. and grayish on a cloudy day ... go figure.. lol ..

ken

• stimpy926
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, it's a darker color now in winter, whether purplish or whatever, but it's not dead tips. In this picture I placed a dead twig laying crosswise for comparison.

But what about the question of scales vs. needles? Are you trying to say the scale foliage is yet to come?

{{gwi:667829}}

15 years ago

oh carp ... a rouge seedling ... the facts always get in the way of a good yarn .. lol

try the new link ...

better???

yes .. it has the potential to get wayyy tooooo biggg for that spot ... you will probably be able to spot them on all along the highways and non farm acreage for miles around... once you figure out what they are ...

invasive is another term for their potential ...

ken

• stimpy926
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kenneth, I'm presently enrolled in the certificate conifers course being taught at Longwood by Richard Bitner and I am very familiar with Juniperus chinensis and Juniperus virginiana, both of which are ruled out in the case of my volunteer. Please come down off your ladder and read my post. There is no adult - scale foliage on my plant, only juvenile - pointed needles.

I have surmised that my volunteer is going to overgrow it's location, which is not a problem. A few back-n-forth's with my hand saw and it's history.

I just would like to know what variety of Juniper took up residence.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

I'd suspect one of the juvenile foliage cultivars of Juniperus chinensis. But definitive identification might need a DNA test, or at least chemical analysis; junipers (particularly juvenile cultivars) are notoriously difficult to identify.

Resin

• stimpy926
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A cultivar that is possible from seed? No reversion?

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Yes, possible (it will of course be a new un-named cultivar). Most likely, it is a seedling of an existing juvenile cultivar, as prolonged juvenility can be inherited.

Resin

• stimpy926
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, thanks Resin

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The mix of juvenile and adult is like that of Chinese juniper. That's the one that pops up in Seattle. But you may have another species doing that there. What is growing nearby, both as a coning adult possible seed source and as other spontaneous seedlings could be what this one is as well.