Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Larix kaempferi 'Paper Lanterns' photos please

gardener365
15 years ago

I have a 1-gallon and it's very nice-looking. It's contorted.

Do any of you have photos of this... Cones would be a bonus!

Thanks,

Dax

Comments (17)

• billb
    15 years ago

Dax,

I thought I had a photo but it does not appear that I do. I have seen some taller specimens about 7-8 feet tall and this is one of my favorite larch. At 7 feet this the diameter in only about 16". The branches all point up and do contort. The specimens I have seen have had abundent cones on them. The cones sit in top of the branches pointing up. The bark color is a cinnamon color and looks great even in winter.

All in all I think this is a great plant. I can't believe I don't have a photo of it.

Bill

• redwingconifer
    15 years ago

That sounds like one fantastic larch!

• gardener365
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm surprised you don't got one Bill. May I ask where you might have seen these seven footers? It sounds like a bad plant.

Dax

• billb
    15 years ago

I saw them at a private collection in Virginia called Birchwood. There are alot of great specimens there but unfortunately it is being closed down. There are so few that have seen it in its prime it's an absolute shame to see it happen. Probably one of the best collections in the US for sure, really bums me out.

Bill

• gardener365
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well maybe someday you'll arrive here 10 or 20 years later if my garden is worthy enough to be on an ACS tour.

Thanks for the info.
    Dax

• billb
    15 years ago

Considering where you started 5 years ago I would be surprised if it took 20 years.

Bill

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Dax, can you show us a picture of your 1 gallon plant?
    Thanks, I've never heard about this cultivar.

• redwingconifer
    15 years ago

Coniferjoy-

You could contact Don Howse at Porterhowse Farms if you want further info on this plant. If I remember correctly, I had a conversation with Don A few years ago and he described it to me. I am pretty sure that he said he was the one that introduced it. He also has them listed for sale currently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Portehowse

• gardener365
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I planted it yesterday - no foliage yet. I tried twice to get a clear photo. Will have to try again.

Purchased from Don Howse @ R & R Nursery.

Larix kaempferi 'Paper Lanterns'
    {{gwi:678663}}

{{gwi:678664}}

Dax

• bobfincham
    15 years ago

Here is a shot of the original plant at Don's.

It consistently produces lots of cones- thus the name.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:678658}}

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Bob,

Thanks for the picture, I hope that this plant is also availlable in Holland in the future!

• gardener365
    Original Author
    14 years ago

An information update, Down Howse (Porterhowse Nursery) writes:

"It was a seedling found by the late Edsal Wood. I purchased the small #1 pot from his estate, and have grown it on to a very narrow and tall tree, with an abundance of papery cones. The twigs have a zig-zag habit too. I am the person who named the plant also."

Dax

• gardener365
    Original Author
    14 years ago

...Don Howse

• affliction-acs
    14 years ago

Dax,

Here is the fall colour of Paper Lanterns. It was approx. 7ft at the time. Closer to 9 now and still growing.

Darren

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gardener365
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, that's nice. Your misty Canadian landscape is always way cool. Those trees all look super in that photo. Good pruning fix of that 'Hoopsi'. The tree will sure appreciate a single trunk later in time.

See ya,

Dax

• daveherbs1224
    10 years ago

This great plant grows fast. it's description is right on.
    One the day they began to ship I purchased one that was 4 feet tall. from R&R Nursery I believe that was around 2007 .

It has grown to over 14 feet tall.

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    10 years ago

Dax, as you know i come and go from these pages so i just saw this post. Here is another picture of Dons tree i took my last time out.
    john