Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecomtl

New citrus owner: Meyers and Calamondins

ecomtl
18 years ago

Hello!!

I have been reading here alot lately. I found the site while researching information on calamondins, I got one in July. You guys helped me alot with some things that were bothering me, I concluded by advice here that most of it is completely normal (ie older leaf drop, substantial premature fruit drop etc...) .

I do have a problem with my meyer I got two weeks ago (I know alot of you said they were troublesome, but I could not help buying one, I'm hooked). I received it with alot of brand new light green growth, but now the small new leaves keep jumping off the plant! Even the apex just dries and browns or the entire young twig the leaves grew from falls off!

Not all light green leaves have dropped, seems maybe cause they are a bit bigger & older they are hanging on more...I don't know. Only a few of the remaining new leaves seem to be developing abnormally, all the others are ok. Those that dropped seem to have petiols attached only part of the time, so that doesn't help the diagnosis!

I will admit to moving it around a lot in my appartment chasing the sunbeams. Since it has 5 fist-sized lemons on it, I want to keep it in full light as much as possible. If I keep it stationary, it will never come close to getting a min. of 4 hours of light a day. I also did clean every single leaf (almost the day I got it) to rid it of the white residue from whatever they use at the nurserie. I didn't touch the new growth, they didn't have the residue. This is when I had my first casualties, three teeny leaves but I was sure it was just from moving it a bit briskly when cleaning the other leaves. Since then though I lose leaves just from a calm breeze it seems. I cleaned my calamondin as well and it did not lose any of it's few new leaves, but it's not producing anymore growth as it seems the terminal buds have dried on that to!

I have since sprayed both plants with nicotine water with a dab of dish soap in case there were critters that I could not see.

Because I'm actually losing brand new growth, the Meyer is what's bothering me more between the two. Should I be? Am I being an over protective new mother here?? Is this just them saying "let me get used to the place?" or is it the moving around into sunbeams? I can't see the leaf washing being it but who knows I guess (I used a very weak solution of alcohol and dish soap in water).

I'm sorry my post is so long, but based on what I read, I tried to give all details on common things you guys tend to ask when someone posts a problem, wanted to be proactive.

Comments (18)

• ecomtl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh and thank you all so much for all the things I have learned up to now, this place is truely amazing!

• Millet
    18 years ago

I have grown containerized citrus for a long time. Alcohol and nicotine sprays and washes are new to me. Growing over 50 different citrus varieties, I have never used anything except water sprays to keep my trees free from insects. Leaf margin and tip burn most of the time is due to high soluble salts in the soil. However, as you have only had your Meyer for two weeks, high soluble salts should not be the tree's problem. So my next guess would be over watering, but then again it has only been two weeks. Spraying alcohol and nicotine on the leaves bothers me. However, in all the years on this forum, and time spent with many citus hobbyist, I have never ran across, nor heard of anyone who ever used such products on citrus leaves. So therefore, I do not know what damage they would cause the foliage, if any. Lastly, because the problem has arisen so quickly, it could be just from being in the new environment, which seems to have such little available light. I certainly would keep a eye on the trees for the next couple weeks. - Millet

• Millet
    18 years ago

People do use alcohol on a Q-tip for mealybug control, which I don't think works very well, because although it kills the female mealybug, this method generally misses all the eggs. - Millet

• ecomtl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Millet. Actually, I highly doubt it could be over watering since I have only watered it once since i've had it (half way through the two weeks pretty much.

As to the spray, I assure you it is the most minute quantity of alcohol, maybe 2 ml OH:500 ml water. The nicotine is soaked in water and filtered, that is used with a bit of dish soap to spray mostly for mites. It has worked really well for my croton and many other plants. But I am new to citrus, I will stick to water I suppose? I just figured I've been using the above methods for so many of my other plants successfully.....Guess citrus are really a class all their own! : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon

• ecomtl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is the calamondin:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cala.

• BabyBlue11371
    18 years ago

Did you know you could use the tobacco left over as a poultice for bruises?..leave it on a bruise for about 30 min and the bruise will have faded a bit.. couple of times and it will be gone.. I've used tobacco water with lemon dish soap on my roses to treat aphids.. worked real good!! I've used it on my house plants also.. but I also am new to citrus and haven't tried it on citrus myself.. in fact it has been a while since I made any at all.. inside has been relatively bug free *sept for the ants* and my outdoor garden hasn't had the care this year I usually give it.. so I've had no reason to make any.. ooops I take that back.. made a batch for my neighbor.. *the one that thinks I'm a nut* (wonder why?) and cured her bug problem on her roses..
    your trees sure look healthy to me.. maybe just touch of shock? maybe under water?.. I'm far from the person who would know in here.. but I thought I'd add my $.02.. If you do decide to continue the tobacco water on your citrus let me know how it goes for you.. might have to make up a batch.
    some times I've added couple drops of tobassco on out doors plants tobacco water.. bugs don't like that stuff either..
    Good luck!!!
    Congrats on the new tree!!
    Gina *BabyBlue*

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Eco, both trees look great..do you apply leaf shine? They're so glossy..
    I've used cig butts on plants (long time ago) but only when all else failed..(I do not use chemicals)
    Cig butts are very strong and should be used only in severe cases of pests. Too strong a dose can kill a plant.
    I've talked to people who use rubbing alcohol as a foliar spray and they claim in works. I have used alcohol with a cotton ball to rid certain pests, but again, it's been a long time.
    I'd say give your trees a chance to acclimate to a different environment. It may take time, and now that winter's coming, you may even see more changes..Toni

• ecomtl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks guys! And might I say it's a pleasure to receive your advice after having read all your posts for 2 months!

I've read that the toxic properties of nicotine are pretty much on contact and then dissipate, it doesn't linger at all on the plant. I figured that was a really good thing. I really make all of my solutions very dilute, and don't spray often, I actually use just plain water and break out the other stuff every now and then. I've only done the meyer once in the 2 weeks I've had it. I think I'll stop and let it ride for a bit...

I don't use leaf shine, actually the leaves were so dirty with white residue before I cleaned them, and I guess the rest is due to spraying with water often....I have yet to buy a humidifier.

I reread my original post after Millet's response and I made an error, I have in fact have a southern exposure. It's only that I have a big tree that doesn't allow as much "direct sun" as I could have, but I do have the light for more than 4 hours a day, for sure. I will park it and let it be in that case. I may be guilty of giving it too much attention since it's sooo purdy.

Thank You very much, I am so excited about owning these trees!! : )

• suzannesks
    18 years ago

Eco..I have found that the Meyers are very tempermental also..and they seem to like not being fussed with and not moved, then they are happy and will get down to business of production. The citrus is green and looks to be very healthy,although I'd repot it into at least a 14 inch wide pot. My Meyer sheds some leaves also,but gives me an abundnt amount of fruit.It takes these guys awhile to get established in a new enviroment,also provide some water in a drip tray for humidity too:)***Suzanne

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Suzanne, I don't have problems with Meyer's, but those Cal's don't have a chance with my care..
    I'd wait till spring to repot since winter's nearing so fast..
    Eco, what size pot are your trees in now? Toni

• Millet
    18 years ago

When repoting is done correctly and with the proper care, a plant can be repotted at any time of the year. I have repotted citrus in every month of the year without any problem. However, if you damage the roots by being to rough, it will take longer to heal during the winter than in the spring or summer. - Millet

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

I too repot all types of plants year round, but since winter is coming and Eco lives in Canada, there will be very little growth.

• ecomtl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Calamondin is about 12" tall and is in a 6x6" pot.

The Meyer is about 22" and in a pretty much 10x10" wise pot. (I just measured it, it looks bigger than that to me though oddly)

I do know I need to repot. I am torn by hunting these coconut husks, as I think they may be hard to find here, or just sticking with a mix of promix, perlite and sand.

The meyer is a heavy sucker to being with, I will need to work out some before transplanting it also lol

• ecomtl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Millet, what is "too rough" for citrus?? I always tend to pull the bound roots apart at the bottom to give them some air and direction. I never score though, some do.
    Would pulling apart gently the circularily wound up roots at the bottom be considered an assault on the tree? Or is this normal root manipulation?
    I've read you can remove some of the growth medium and roots even to be able to make room for repoting in the same size pot. How do you do this safely??

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Eco, the 6x6" is a bit small, but not terribly..You really can hold off till spring..Same applies to the 10".
    Unless you're determined using the CHC's, mix, perlite and sand will work fine..I use this mix, (all purpose soil instead of promix) and have for years..The soil is well-draining, without being so light you have to water daily. Toni

• Patty_in_Wisc
    18 years ago

Eco, your plants look fine, but I know your concern. If you'd like to order some CHC, I'll give you a link to a place I just bought from. Earlier this yr I bought 3/4 cu ft on EBay for over $19.00 & I just got 2 - 3 cu ft bails (One is smal & 1 med size chips) for just over $21.00 @!!! EBay ripped me off. (don't forget they expand to about triple)
    Also, don't worry about moving them around--it doesn't hurt them. I move mine all the time & pot up all times of the yr., & sometimes a wind gust might knock them over in summer --it doen's hurt them.
    Patty (trying to give you website for CHC)

Here is a link that might be useful: CHC

• ecomtl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank Toni! I think I will wait in that case. The calamondin doesn't look root bound and the lemon does from the top, but the drainage holes show no signs of it. The nursery probably repotted withought adding a bit of mix over the top a bit.

This will give me leasurely time to maybe order some husk from the states. Actually, I would like to use the husks specificly cause I think they would help out the weight issue with the meyer. It really is a heavy bugger like I mentioned.

Patty, thank you! I know they look good, but the new growth drop kinda freaked me out.... I would much appreciate your husk contact, I think it's worth trying it out based on all it praised here and every where basically.

• Patty_in_Wisc
    18 years ago

Eco, hope you can order from the site I gave. If anyone knows of a less expensive place, please post it! Thanks
    Patty
    I think I was wrong about it being 3 cu ft dry. The bail is about 12X12X15 & when wet expands to 3 cu ft. :o

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths